Bluetooth MAP Support added to iOS 6 - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #21
symbology
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94555
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL HB 301A Mtl.Blk

FF Reputation: 1 symbology Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
This one's going to be a doozy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizeGuyDezignz View Post
Look, I'm not here to get into an Apple vs Android war
Don't lie. You totally are. I knew it the moment you kept mentioning "facts" and "kool aid". Well, I'll bite. *Cracks Knuckles*

Quote:
Android has thousands of devices made of different spec, so of course they can't just dump the newest version of Android on each device.
Thousands? Try 75, but that's a high estimate. Feel free to count for yourself: http://www.android.com/devices/
The problem is Google, when they first released Android, let the manufacturers put whatever they wanted in the phone. After a while, you had full fragmentation of the Android Line. That's why most of the users don't have the latest version. I see you didn't question the Apple pie chart about how many users are on ICS. Because it's completely true.

Quote:
It's like trying to install Windows 7 on an Intel Pentium 2 machine.
Hmm. Windows 7 = 2009. Pentium 2 = 1997- 1999. That's a 10-12 year difference! If you're going to make analogies, and claim everybody is using the "Apple Kool-Aid", maybe try to use better analogies. It would be like using Windows 7 on a Pentium 4 machine. What do you know. It can.
The problem is most cell phone manufacturers don't want to flow cash into support for hardware that either didn't sell or is old by cell phone standards (6 months or more). While Apple supports products for 2 years. I don't see the HTC Desire get ICS. Oh right, because it came out in 2010, and sold marginally well.

Quote:
And don't act like Apple doesn't do the same thing.
Like I said, they support devices for 2 years, more than I can say for any other manufacturer.

Quote:
And if anyone just wants people to buy a new device, it's Apple. You do remember the "upgrade" from the 3g to the 3gs right?
3GS: More RAM, better camera, magnetometer, iOS 3.0
Does every iteration have to be a leap forward like the first?

Quote:
Apple isn't playing catch-up? LOL, are you really sipping that much Apple Kool Aid? Turn by turn navigation through Google Maps has been on Android devices for years now. That's not catch-up? Voice activated commands have also been on there for years. Apple just expanded on it.
I'll give a little on this point. Apple does usually lag behind in the features department. However, given that their product refresh cycle is roughly every year (Android phones are constantly coming out), and when they do release a feature that is available on other phones, it's usually implemented very well (or in same cases better than the other phones). But that's a subjective statement, so take that as you will.

Quote:
Dual core processors, stronger gpus, etc, etc, were all on Android devices first. When Apple releases a "new" iPhone, there are Android devices with better specs that have already been in the market for 6 months to a year prior. Fact.
The iPhone has never had the best specs. But it has had the best user experience, which is what matters to most consumers.
Also, you don't need the best specs when your OS is highly optimized.
For example, a friend showed me a shooter game (can't remember the name) on his iPad 3, and Asus Transformer. Now keep in mind the game was highly omptimized for the Transformer's Tegra III graphics processor.
He launched the game at the same time on both devices. The iPad blew the Asus out of the water. Load times, sound, graphics were ALL better on the iPad's "inferior" specs.

Quote:
And to say there is no Android without Apple is just silly. The iPhone wasn't even the first smartphone lol. You don't remember the Palm Treo 600 in 2003? But whatever makes you sleep better at night bro.
The iPhone was the first smartphone to sell extremely well. That's what matter. Android probably would have been around without Apple, but it wouldn't have sold as well, and it definitely wouldn't be as powerful as it is today.
When it all boils down to it, Apple has NEVER been the first at anything. I don't think anybody claims they ever have. They have, however, been the one to make (whatever it is) popular and a pleasure to use.

Well, that was fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #22
mattphoto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95657
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 mattphoto Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by symbology View Post
The problem is Google, when they first released Android, let the manufacturers put whatever they wanted in the phone. After a while, you had full fragmentation of the Android Line. That's why most of the users don't have the latest version. I see you didn't question the Apple pie chart about how many users are on ICS. Because it's completely true.
The funny thing is that the overwhelming majority of Android users don't even KNOW they don't have the latest version. Like most of it's features and UI, Android throws things at customers to get the jump in feature specs, with out much thought of integration, usability and consistency. The result is a steep learning curve, evident from consumers not having a clue if the tablet running Ginger Cake Pie is more recent than the one Running Jello Pudding Pop.
The naming of the OS encapsulates the whole OS. Ignorant.

But Android does have a lot of great features, and gets them quickly. They should: R&D is cheap when you just copy your competition for 5 years.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #23
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattphoto View Post
evident from consumers not having a clue if the tablet running Ginger Cake Pie is more recent than the one Running Jello Pudding Pop.
Those are so last month. I'm running a beta of Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls currently!
Old 06-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #24
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Google was working on mobile OS long before the iPhone came along. Apple knew this because surprise, Eric Schmidt was on the Apple board of directors. Apple worked hard to make their OWN mobile operating platform and they released the iPhone. It was completely different than anything we'd seen from any manufacturer ever and contained technology that companies like Palm and RIM could only dream of attaining. Then (Another surprise) Eric Schmidt left Apple and a year later the first Android phone was released with a vastly different UI than the previous Google Mobile OS. In fact, it worked and looked almost exactly like an iPhone.

So, to Android enthusiasts everywhere, you're welcome. You wouldn't have what you have today if it wasn't for Eric Schmidt's big fat head.

And I'll just leave this here... The Verge - Google's first concept phone before the iPhone
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

Join the cause! 3 Door Fords for America! facebook.com/3DRS4US

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #25
mattphoto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95657
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 mattphoto Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicium112 View Post
Those are so last month. I'm running a beta of Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls currently!
LDSCR is going to be sweet! I can' t wait to spend hours rooting it so i can be happy with it.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #26
Minchkin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92792
What I Drive: 2009 Black SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 3 Minchkin Good Standing Member
I am disappointed that WebOS disappeared. I had an HP Touchpad that I felt was better than the iPad. And to me, iOS is way too simplified. Windows Phone 7 is my favorite.
SES #032
Old 06-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #27
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minchkin View Post
Windows Phone 7 is my favorite.

I won't be able to take anything you say seriously ever again.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

Join the cause! 3 Door Fords for America! facebook.com/3DRS4US

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #28
Minchkin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92792
What I Drive: 2009 Black SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 3 Minchkin Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post

I won't be able to take anything you say seriously ever again.
Por que?! I loved my little Samsung Focus. It used my Zune Pass, it controlled my Xbox, and it had MAP so I got to use Sync with it. And I will say that Mango was a sweet update. Hehehe.
SES #032
Old 06-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #29
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
I love this thread. I'm an Apple guy, not a fanboy, there IS a difference. So, seeing people defend Apple products for what they are rather than claim that they're just overpriced, underpowered crap you can get much cheaper elsewhere is a nice change of pace.

I have this discussion all the time with friends and customers at work, the fact is, I view Apple with computing the same way I view Halo with first person shooters on console; they didn't do it first, they just revolutionized it.

Apple has been revolutionizing personal computing since the beginning, and then music, and then mobile computing. The GUI? Apple. Multiple fonts? Apple. The MP3 player? Apple. The iPod wasn't first, but it was the best. The smartphone? Apple. (Let's not call the Palm series "smartphones"; if you've ever actually used one they were just a nightmare. They were clunky and poorly designed, most of them using Windows Mobile and it was just crap.) The tablet? Right again! Apple!

They don't have to do it first (but they do sometimes) and they don't have to make it new and add features no one has ever seen. They just implement those features in a tighter package that's easier to use for more people, and then they optimize the whole experience so that it's not an arms race for who has the best tech, it's just a better user experience.

I would like to point out though, that despite the "inferior tech" they have the best looking displays on the market. No one has been able to touch the Retina Display yet, and if they have, it's been on screens considerably bigger than the iPhone's 3.5" display.
Sonic Crew #28 | Rally Revolution #117
Old 06-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #30
gullwingdmc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88545
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 2 gullwingdmc Good Standing Member
Huh, I hadn't checked in on this thread in a few days, clearly there was some heated discussion.

Going back to the original topic, there does not seem to be support for contact pics over bluetooth or expanded music control in iOS6. Though this is just the first beta. We have about 3 months before the final OS comes out.

Bookmarks & Social Networks