My Ford Touch Thread - Page 184 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #1831
nhemti
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96686
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium - TMB

FF Reputation: 1 nhemti Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyNYC View Post
>>> I know plenty of 23 year old recent software engineering grads who could write a much more stable and efficient system.

As do I. I am a Professor at Columbia University in New York City and see some of the finest and brightest in the world. My last computer project was done at M.I.T. and I delivered the keynote address with Bill Gates at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. I've seen the best of the best.

>>>It isn't fair to slight the younger folks in computer science and technology just because they are young.

That is an accurate statement . . .and never would I do so. It's a statement meant to convey the apparent lack of real world experience that is apparent in the design of the MFT system.

While intellectual firepower can be taught . . . experience in the design of visual assimilation systems, like aircraft panels, is greatly enhanced through experience . . the simple accumulation of time and plenty of screw ups (like the current iteration of the MFT) under your belt.

I am also hiring 600 new engineers over the next year for a company that will be going public and I am seeing some incredibly talented young engineers.

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm glad for you. Your statement still came across as slighting the younger crowd just for being young.

I think MFT shows signs of poor programming and a rushed product with piss poor project management. There is a reason the game design world hires people who have a single job of designing a UI and others who handle game mechanics. The problem with MFT is that the people who should be designing mechanics were designing a UI.

Alas, we are still stuck with what we have and will have to wait for Ford to fix it. That or you could have your best and brightest play with an APIM for a semester and see what they can pull off, I am sure it would only be an improvement. (That isn't sarcasm.)

FYI, I was simply interpreting a statement you made and you have clarified that your intention was to imply that a lack of experience was an issue, not young engineers just sucking. Simply clarifying that and not being a snob about it would have been sufficient.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #1832
CourtneyNYC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86057
What I Drive: 2010 - Sterling Gray&2012 White Ti

FF Reputation: 1 CourtneyNYC Good Standing Member
My MFT continues to become an increasingly entertaining device . . . . Today we got a new one . . TWO, count 'em . . TWO SCREENS at once . . .we had the home screen overlaid on the blue oval splash screen.

Yesterday . . . for no apparent reason whist driving I suddenly get the back up camera image.

But . . .when I needed it in a parking lot . . it took two minutes to come up.

I'm trying to save screenshots as best I can to send to Ford.

I love the car . . . but I'd never trust the MFT, at least this generation.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #1833
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Today we got a new one . . TWO, count 'em . . TWO SCREENS at once . . .we had the home screen overlaid on the blue oval splash screen.
Is it still that way? With the old version the blue oval was also a built-in wallpaper. I haven't checked with 3.0.2 but if it still is, maybe your system decided to set it as wallpaper and you are seeing the home screen over the Ford wallpaper.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #1834
myTech Team
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91855
What I Drive: 2002 Silver Mazda Protege 5

FF Reputation: 1 myTech Team Good Standing Member
Quote:
My MFT continues to become an increasingly entertaining device . . . . Today we got a new one . . TWO, count 'em . . TWO SCREENS at once . . .we had the home screen overlaid on the blue oval splash screen.

Yesterday . . . for no apparent reason whist driving I suddenly get the back up camera image.

But . . .when I needed it in a parking lot . . it took two minutes to come up.

I'm trying to save screenshots as best I can to send to Ford.

I love the car . . . but I'd never trust the MFT, at least this generation.
Have you tried a master reset on the MFT system? i would suggest trying that.

If you have never performed a reset, here's how...

http://ford-life.com/2012/06/01/how-...-touch-system/
Old 06-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #1835
nhemti
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96686
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium - TMB

FF Reputation: 1 nhemti Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by myTech Team View Post
Have you tried a master reset on the MFT system? i would suggest trying that.

If you have never performed a reset, here's how...

http://ford-life.com/2012/06/01/how-...-touch-system/
This isn't mean to be nasty to you but Master Resets are a load of crap. They fix issues rarely if ever. The majority of the problems experienced by people here are bugs within the code itself and can only be fixed by Ford with the release of another update.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #1836
shudder
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97667
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 shudder Good Standing Member
I have an iPhone I use with MFT/SYNC in my 2012 Titanium. It has been working on and off since I bought the car in March of this year. I've learned that I must constantly physically unattach and reattach the iPhone after, say, stopping for gas, or at the store, in order to get it to work properly. That's a pain.

But, just today I ran into something odd I need some help with: I synced my iPhone to my computer and redid my music folder in iTunes (removed a ton of stuff; populated it with a load of new stuff). A lot of the old music is gone from the phone, and a lot of new stuff is there now. I have confirmed this by going through iTunes on the phone. Looks all good, and I can play stuff, no trouble.

What happens with my MFT/SYNC is that I am getting a "No media files on this device" dialog when I attempt to bring some music online via the touchscreen. However, if I use voice control I can tell voice command to play an artist I know is now in my music dir, but it won't recognize the name (asks me to choose from a numbered list, and the artist is never there). On the flip side of that, I can use voice command to bring up an artist that is no longer on the phone, and it attempts to play that artist for me, even though the artist is no longer on my phone. Because that artist is no longer in my music, the system then randomly plays song 1 of 538 in my music, and I listen for a bit and start hearing some of the new stuff I put on it last night...

It's almost like MFT/SYNC has cached the old list of my music internally (does it really do that???). If this is the case, how do I clear that caching so that it will see the actual music on my device now?

Thanks in advance, folks.

- shud
Old 06-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #1837
danyall2010
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89399
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 danyall2010 Good Standing Member
Thank me! Here is the updated list fo phones for the Ford MyTouch.

Link

Last edited by danyall2010; 06-14-2012 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Updated Link
Old 06-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #1838
lewisra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93289
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 3 lewisra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhemti View Post
This isn't mean to be nasty to you but Master Resets are a load of crap. They fix issues rarely if ever. The majority of the problems experienced by people here are bugs within the code itself and can only be fixed by Ford with the release of another update.
Agreed that the code needs to be fixed. But for those that encounter bugs that cause your MFT to "lose" functionality that you had just a minute ago, are usually fixed(temporarily though) by getting the system to run "scheduled maintenance". This can be run in one of two ways, disconnecting the battery or running the delayreboot.cab. I've always used the delayedreboot.cab.

At least this has been my experience, though I don't have Navigation.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #1839
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by shudder View Post
It's almost like MFT/SYNC has cached the old list of my music internally (does it really do that???). If this is the case, how do I clear that caching so that it will see the actual music on my device now?
I've been wondering about the caching myself for some time and am still not sure. If it does not, it seems to me that at the very least the system does not always do an effective job of eliminating and overwriting old index information with new, leading to confusion for the system.

As much as I hate to say it, have you done a Master Reset? I generally agree with some of the others on here that they do not really accomplish much but in your case, it actually might.

Also, one thing I learned with the old version (2.11) was that having my iPhone sync BT for calls and stuff as well as hooking it up through USB for music seemed to really mess with the system (for me at least). I haven't tried it since the update so I don't know if it is still the same. I keep a dedicated iPod hooked up USB for my personal music collection and only use my phone for calls and BT streaming Pandora, Slacker, etc. That setup has been pretty stable for me (stable being relative because this is pretty much an unstable system).
Old 06-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #1840
shudder
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97667
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 shudder Good Standing Member
^^ Well, that didn't work. Now when I hook up the iPhone 4 it just shows a dialog onscreen that says there are no media files on this device. And when I attempt to use Voice Control, she says the same exact thing in her mellifluous toned voice. And that's that.

- shud

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->