Coolant Question -Is this normal? - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #41
thelongone13
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95644
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 thelongone13 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My only thought as to the white stuff is perhaps some leftover material from the manufacturing process? Doesn't look like oil in the coolant. I'll check mine, but I doubt I'll yield any results with only about 820 miles on the car.

A Ford Focus driver with ADD
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #42
chantspel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86521
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SFE Candy Blue

FF Reputation: 1 chantspel Good Standing Member
Thanks guys. Yeah i was thinking because these direct injection engines run hot maybe that has something to do with it?

I don't think it's anything left over, it just looks like coolant going bad. Then again I've never seen a clean looking overflow tank...
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 06-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #43
prv5004
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90916
What I Drive: 2012 Black SE Sport Hatch 5-spd

FF Reputation: 1 prv5004 Good Standing Member
Well, I've put 6,000 miles on since I first noted this problem. The tank is cruddy to the point that I can't get it clean, but still there are no cooling issues even as the weather warms up. But I ordered a new tank (P/N 8A080 on fordparts.com) and plan to do a thorough coolant flush and pop this new one on and see what happens. Updates to follow.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #44
chantspel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86521
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SFE Candy Blue

FF Reputation: 1 chantspel Good Standing Member
You going to put the factory coolent back in or green/yellow for all cars kind?
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 06-09-2012, 11:39 PM   #45
prv5004
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chantspel View Post
You going to put the factory coolent back in or green/yellow for all cars kind?
Posted via FF Mobile
That's a good question. I've been considering switching to "normal" coolant. But I'm thinking I'll go with orange again and see what happens.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #46
got3fords
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93395
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SE Sport HB 203A

FF Reputation: 1 got3fords Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelongone13 View Post
My only thought as to the white stuff is perhaps some leftover material from the manufacturing process? Doesn't look like oil in the coolant. I'll check mine, but I doubt I'll yield any results with only about 820 miles on the car.
Yep, that's my opinion. I think this is being over thought. I have had more than one car that had crap build up in the overflow tank. Not one had a serious issue. I think some impurities got trapped in there, from Mfg assembly or something, and takes forever to burn off because its a sealed system. The tank is the highest point in the system, so it that's where it boils off to. Most likely, that's where it stays.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #47
prv5004
Focus Enthusiast

Well I did the flush today and put the new tank on (it's made in Italy by the way). I filled it with Peak yellow coolant. Flushing the coolant on this car is very easy. The system drains well and fills easily; the air works its way out very quickly. I'll attach a pic of the drain plug for those interested. It's on the driver's side, and requires that the felt aero cover to be removed. I also removed the foremost plastic aero cover just because I didn't want coolant splashing all over it as I drained the system. I'll update you guys on whether or not the coolant sludge reappears.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #48
Hodge Podge
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96120
What I Drive: 2012 5-Dr Se Sport Pkg Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 1 Hodge Podge Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by got3fords View Post
Yep, that's my opinion. I think this is being over thought. I have had more than one car that had crap build up in the overflow tank. Not one had a serious issue. I think some impurities got trapped in there, from Mfg assembly or something, and takes forever to burn off because its a sealed system. The tank is the highest point in the system, so it that's where it boils off to. Most likely, that's where it stays.
Second...

Seeing the same stuff on mine with around 6,000 miles and not worrying.

I noticed the same thing on my 2001 Silverado around the same time, similar layer of funk/slime in the top of the tank and on the cap. Suspect it has to do with being a sealed system like on the focus. 246,000 miles in Texas & Florida, never had an issue, and all I've ever done is flush it every 4-5 years.

Not saying some folks don't have an issue, but if it's only a light film/funk like in some of the pictures, it's probably not worth worrying about.

2012 Se Ingot Silver 5-Door w/ 201A & Se Sport Package
2001 Silverado 1500 RCLB 4x4 4.8L 5-Speed
Old 06-18-2012, 12:04 AM   #49
hotpass105
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97804
What I Drive: 2012 Focu

FF Reputation: 1 hotpass105 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by got3fords View Post
I don't think I've ever owned a vehicle that didn't have some crap on the bottom of the coolant cap and/or accumulating at or near the fluid level. You have to realize that as the coolant gets hot, contaminants boil off and accumulate at the highest point in the system. With a new engine, this could be a number of things, assembly lube etc. The fact that its in the tank means its no longer necessarily circulating through the engine. Even if it was, its just mostly coolant with a little oily stuff.
Having said all this, I am not saying there isn't a problem. Just that I wouldn't be too concerned.
This post is so ignorant it makes me mad. Firstly, do you understand what boiling is? It is a process in which water evaporates and turns into steam. The only thing that is going to be carried up onto the radiator cap is H20. Any solids would be to heavy and remain in the coolant. *End Rant*
Old 06-18-2012, 12:13 AM   #50
Hodge Podge
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96120
What I Drive: 2012 5-Dr Se Sport Pkg Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 1 Hodge Podge Good Standing Member
Uhm, yeah, but what's creating the funk on the cap then?

2012 Se Ingot Silver 5-Door w/ 201A & Se Sport Package
2001 Silverado 1500 RCLB 4x4 4.8L 5-Speed

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.