DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 122 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #1211
fcbaldwin
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97264
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 fcbaldwin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm taking my car in on Monday, 6/11 for the clunking in the front end, and I'm not mentioning the letter that I got in the mail for the transmission re-program. I actually hope they don't do anything to the transmission and instead concentrate only on the front end which is what is scaring me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #1212
peppersmum
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98989
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Hatchback SE Red Candy

FF Reputation: 1 peppersmum Good Standing Member
I have a steep driveway and I just put the car in neutral, put the parking brake on and then take my foot off the brake and shift into park and she stays put!
Old 06-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #1213
FF4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33566
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 0 FF4 Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockton View Post
Got the flash done yesterday. Not very happy with it. It introduced another problem to my car. My driveway is on a bit of an incline. Not much but just enough to have the car roll backwards if it was in neutral.

With the new update now. If i Park my car and shift it into park. after two seconds the car rolls backwards a bit. It never used to do that. One the car is in park and your foot off the brake. You dont expect the car to drift backwards after a few seconds.
you better have the parking brake checked, it shouldn't roll on an incline if the parking brake is set.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #1214
squack
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99512
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 squack Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockton View Post
Got the flash done yesterday. Not very happy with it. It introduced another problem to my car. My driveway is on a bit of an incline. Not much but just enough to have the car roll backwards if it was in neutral.

With the new update now. If i Park my car and shift it into park. after two seconds the car rolls backwards a bit. It never used to do that. One the car is in park and your foot off the brake. You dont expect the car to drift backwards after a few seconds.
Nothing's wrong, it's supposed to roll back after ~2 seconds when put in park on an incline. Mine does the exact same thing, it's just the hill-start system releasing automatically. I usually pull the handbrake after putting it in park (while my foot is still on the brake pedal) when I want to avoid rollback.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #1215
squack
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99512
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 squack Good Standing Member
I recently got a brand new Focus with a DCT (with all the latest updates), and when I first got it, and when only I drove it, it shifted smoothly and perfectly. Then, my dad, a rather light-footed driver, drove it for a while (while the transmission seemed to be still in learning mode). When I drove the car after my dad used it for a bit, the shifting was terrible: it would upshift to 5th gear when rolling along at just 30 or 40 km/h, and refuse to downshift for acceleration till I stomp on the accelerator, and then after hesitation, it suddenly revved to 4000 RPM and took off with a great jerk. The car would also lurch at low speeds, switching gears erratically and unnecessarily, e.g. jumping from 4 to 5 to 3 then back to 4 within one second. Then, after about half an hour of me driving on open roads with a somewhat heavier foot on the accelerator, the car seemed to relearn how to shift properly at the right times. Now the shifts are again smooth, timely, and the car doesn't get stuck hesitating in high gears while lugging the engine trying to accelerate.

Based on my experience, my suggestion is not to baby the car when the transmission is learning. Accelerate in a timely manner, hold a decent speed, and let the engine rev to 3500+ RPM when accelerating. Doing so seems to teach the transmission that it's supposed to downshift when accelerating when the car is already in motion. Otherwise, the transmission starts thinking that it should quickly upshift through the acceleration and then remain stubbornly planted in 5th or 6th once at a semi-steady speed (even if very slow). I didn't have too much trouble with accelerating from a stop, but the car for a while didn't want to downshift to accelerate from an already moving state, and the somewhat more aggressive throttle usage fixed that shifting issue.

The DCT can be very nice when it's been properly trained: it gives good acceleration, crisp shifts, the firm feeling of direct drive, and very handy engine braking. I'll give an example of where the engine braking was very effective and handy today: I was coming downhill from an 80 km/h zone into a 50 km/h town, and all I had to do was tap the Set- button on the cruise control to slow me down adequately and hold a legal speed down the steep long hill. Didn't have to touch the brakes on such a drop. With our other car with a conventional auto, I need to apply brakes repeatedly to a significant extent to achieve the same.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #1216
allyy

Fan#: 95236
What I Drive: 2012 focus

FF Reputation: -3 allyy Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbaldwin View Post
I'm taking my car in on Monday, 6/11 for the clunking in the front end, and I'm not mentioning the letter that I got in the mail for the transmission re-program. I actually hope they don't do anything to the transmission and instead concentrate only on the front end which is what is scaring me.
Tell them dont do the update If you are not haveing issues with your tranny you do not need it .Its not mandatary to have it done only if you are haveing trouble.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #1217
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyy View Post
Tell them dont do the update If you are not haveing issues with your tranny you do not need it .Its not mandatary to have it done only if you are haveing trouble.
If you don't have the update done and your transmission gets damaged the letter ford sent out then you may have an issue with the warranty. So it's up to you to decide if that risk is worth it. My car was built with the latest software and has been perfect over the last m1200 miles so far and I'm happy with it, but your mileage may vary.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #1218
allyy

Fan#: 95236
What I Drive: 2012 focus

FF Reputation: -3 allyy Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
If you don't have the update done and your transmission gets damaged the letter ford sent out then you may have an issue with the warranty. So it's up to you to decide if that risk is worth it. My car was built with the latest software and has been perfect over the last m1200 miles so far and I'm happy with it, but your mileage may vary.
The letter clearly states if you are haveing issues described. I dont have a scanner so i cant post the letter. If you have a scanner it would be nice to see what your letter says. Thanks
Old 06-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #1219
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
I wasn't having any major troubles, but had it done anyway, just because I could and came-away with a seamless 1-2 shift. It was acceptable to me before, with just a very light bump, but now I can't tell it even shifts into 2nd. That works for me.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #1220
Chris26
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97846
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray SE 201A 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 Chris26 Good Standing Member
I had mine done on Thursday. I didn't have any complaints before but the update definitely helped with the jerkiness/hesitation in 1 and 2. I'd definitely say it was an improvement overall.

Bookmarks & Social Networks