2012 owners Post your MPG's - Page 97 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #961
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,932, Level 33
Points: 2,932, Level: 33 Points: 2,932, Level: 33 Points: 2,932, Level: 33
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
I'm not talking about EPA ratings, I'm talking about actual achieved real world mileage. Several sources now show the Focus gets low to mid 30's at 70-ish mph, while direct competiton like the Elantra gets high 30's to low 40's at the same speed.
Odder and odder. The 2012 Focus actually gets better mileage than the 2011/2012 Elantra on Fuelly.com. My experience is 36/37 mpg is about right at 73/74 mph, which is considerably better than PM reported. As a manufacturer, Hyundai seems to disappoint owners with actual vs expected mpg. So this is a confusing picture.

Maybe the Focus takes longer to get through break-in than other makes? Maybe Ford is more honest in giving publications cars to test that aren't cherry-picked or otherwise massaged? I'm really pleased with my Focus' fuel economy and just can't quite believe it isn't comparable with its competitors.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #962
nearpass
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92733
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE 5 door grey

FF Reputation: 1 nearpass Good Standing Member
Well, I'm pretty happy....

I haven't followed this whole thread, but I consistently get 37-38 mpg now, 34-35 in the winter. I drive about 30% in town, the rest in the country at 45-55 mph. 8,000 miles on the Focus.

I drove from Wilmington, DE, to the Finger Lakes of NY in March, up 476, then some back roads, and averaged 39 mpg, made the trip on half a tank of gas. I know this has been said many times, but how you drive is the big difference. I'm easy on the accelerator and the brake because I want the best gas mileage I can get. My primary reason for buying the Focus wasn't performance.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #963
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 6,565, Level 53
Points: 6,565, Level: 53 Points: 6,565, Level: 53 Points: 6,565, Level: 53
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Odder and odder. The 2012 Focus actually gets better mileage than the 2011/2012 Elantra on Fuelly.com.
You're right. I was looking at the entries for the 2013 Elantra which averages 34.8, but there's only 8 cars in that population so it should be ignored for now....
Old 06-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #964
CharlieRose
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86472
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 CharlieRose Good Standing Member
I manage to average 39mpg in my Focus, with most of that traveling at about 65mpg.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #965
caseyhc2006
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99853
What I Drive: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST

FF Reputation: 1 caseyhc2006 Good Standing Member
2012 Focus SE getting 42 mpg on the highway, and I'm getting 36 mpg around town, lots of stoplights. I'm not hard on the acceleration, and I brake smoothly. So if you drive it well, it will reward you well!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #966
BiggerBoat
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85913
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 BiggerBoat Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Yeah it's strange. I don't know if the Focus gearing is such that the engine spins higher at highway speed, but something is definitely up. C&D had a foot note in there that explained their numbers came from a 150-mile highway loop or something like that - it doesn't specify whether all cars were tested at the same time in the exact same conditions.

But what leads me to believe it (besides others' experiences on this forum) is the Popular Mechancs testing that showed the exact same thing. With a carefully-measured 150-mile highway test they showed the Focus's mpg way below the Elantra's, while all other economy metrics were about even.

Another good comparison. You notice in the real world numbers it's just about deadlock for city or 55MPH hwy. However, at 70MPH the Focus number goes in the tank. I would just LOVE to know what the factor is causing this. (Maybe if I just keep asking over-and-over I will get an answer ). I took a trip from Ohio to South Carolina in April and was getting 33-34 on the hwy at around 70MPH. Last week, I did a road trip again at 70 MPH and was getting 39-40 MPG. The SC trip was windy and though the hills of WV, VA, NC. This last week was in Michigan with flat roads and light winds. As you noted, the C&D was not specific about the condition of the high-sped highway test. Maybe the Focus falls off the pace more in adverse conditions??

Note: I did get to see the C&D article on fun 40MPG vehicles. Did you notice on that chart with the MPGs, the other two factors were "0-60 time" and "fun factor" and the Focus trounced everyone in both of those categories. So, maybe this is just the price we have to pay for having the most fun car. I'm good with that. (But I still want to know specifically WHY.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearpass View Post
I haven't followed this whole thread, but I consistently get 37-38 mpg now, 34-35 in the winter. I drive about 30% in town, the rest in the country at 45-55 mph. 8,000 miles on the Focus.

I drove from Wilmington, DE, to the Finger Lakes of NY in March, up 476, then some back roads, and averaged 39 mpg, made the trip on half a tank of gas. I know this has been said many times, but how you drive is the big difference. I'm easy on the accelerator and the brake because I want the best gas mileage I can get. My primary reason for buying the Focus wasn't performance.
This is quite similar to my general MPG experience..
Old 06-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #967
jpolk84
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97415
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE w/ Sport Package 5-sp

FF Reputation: 1 jpolk84 Good Standing Member
I have a manual. What are some numbers on those? I'm seeing my average around town at 30.4. In town I'm seeing 26-28. I haven't taken it on the road yet but I get about 32 on the freeway.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #968
ricomtl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97818
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch Tx. Black

Points 757, Level 14
Points: 757, Level: 14 Points: 757, Level: 14 Points: 757, Level: 14
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 ricomtl Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolk84 View Post
I have a manual. What are some numbers on those? I'm seeing my average around town at 30.4. In town I'm seeing 26-28. I haven't taken it on the road yet but I get about 32 on the freeway.
same here, in the city I get barely 26mpg, and the best so far on highway was 31! I'm at 2500km, past the break-in... I hope the #'s will improve with time!
Old 06-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #969
BiggerBoat
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85913
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 BiggerBoat Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricomtl View Post
same here, in the city I get barely 26mpg, and the best so far on highway was 31! I'm at 2500km, past the break-in... I hope the #'s will improve with time!
That doesn't sound right. Have you done the highway cruise test? That is:

Get out on a stretch of road that is relatively flat and set the cruise to about 55mph (guess that about 89Km/h in the Great White North). Outside temperature should also be warm-ish. Reset the MPG meter and just cruise for 5 or 10 min. This for me results in an initial value of about 33MPG and slowly creeps to 38-40 MPG. If you don't get this, there must be something not right with you Focus since you have enough mile to achieve decent break-in.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #970
ricomtl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97818
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch Tx. Black

Points 757, Level 14
Points: 757, Level: 14 Points: 757, Level: 14 Points: 757, Level: 14
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 ricomtl Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBoat View Post
That doesn't sound right. Have you done the highway cruise test? That is:

Get out on a stretch of road that is relatively flat and set the cruise to about 55mph (guess that about 89Km/h in the Great White North). Outside temperature should also be warm-ish. Reset the MPG meter and just cruise for 5 or 10 min. This for me results in an initial value of about 33MPG and slowly creeps to 38-40 MPG. If you don't get this, there must be something not right with you Focus since you have enough mile to achieve decent break-in.
well, my first highway cruise test was with 4 adults, so that probably skewed the results, but I did reset the MPG meter when I hit the highway, the cruise control was on for a long period (3hr trip) and speed was set at approx. 65mph. The best mileage that was recorded was 33 and quickly went down to 31. It was nice & warm outside, flat highway, no hills....

My car is @ the dealer today to address the clunking and the TSB 12B37... we'll see if mileage gets better after the transmission re-flash.

I know something isn't right my car since out of the Foci reporting back their mpg on Fuelly.com, might is completlely off charts for the moment. But I see that I get better mileage at every new tank, but others seem to have mid-30s right out of the dealer!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.