2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 43 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #421
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,142, Level 34
Points: 3,142, Level: 34 Points: 3,142, Level: 34 Points: 3,142, Level: 34
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minitaz1 View Post
Our Focus has had the TSB applied it's a reprogram of t8he Power Train Control module, it has made the shudder a little better but the issue is still there. Our Focus is going back on Thursday, for 2 trim concerns and the trans shudder complaint will be on the repair order again...
Hey minitaz1,

The Focus is designed to smooth out after the update is applied. Depending on how quickly it relearns your driving habits, this may take about 1000 miles.

As to the trim concern, I'll be happy to contact the Customer Service Manager for your area. To do so, please send me a PM with your your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and the VIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focususer2 View Post
...I do not like gear shifts IN MY 2012 Focus, but I am unsure whether to take it in for the software upgrade. I DON'T GET IT! How come some users have problems and some others don't?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboss1 View Post
Well it's official...I received a Ford Motor Company, Customer Satisfaction Program letter in the mail the other day regarding jerky transmission shifts...
Ok .....so with only 4100 miles on my Focus, and the jerky transmission shifts are almost non-existing, and yes it does have the roll backs when you release the brake pedal,,,,, I'm getting high 38 city mpg, and "WOW" 41 highway mpg, do I dare take it in and have them do this? Will this "Calibration" mess this great mileage up by doing this?..
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_2000_se View Post
^^^ I don't think I would.
The Customer Satisfaction Program is for those that aren't satisfied or like to complain. You know the issues and how to deal with them and more importantly 'are satisfied'. The old cliche, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", may apply here...
Hi Focususer2, airboss1 & a_2000_se,

If you have received the Customer Satisfaction Program 12B37, we do recommend visiting the local Ford dealer and have the update applied to your Focus.

Ford has developed calibration improvements to the Powertrain Control Module, Transmission Control Module, and Anti-Lock Brake module in order to address transmission shift quality and hill-start concerns.

This is a free service with an estimated repair time of one-half day, which may be extended due to the dealer's prior commitments, and will be available until April 30, 2013. Please do not hesitate to have this taken car of, as coverage may be denied for any vehicle damage that results from the failure to have this service action performed in a timely manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6769MOPARS View Post
Do you mean the FSA letter? I had it done on my wife's Focus and there has been no change in gas mileage. We're driving it 2000 miles over the weekend and I'll know more them.
I'd recommend getting it done. I think that when you go for service, they will apply the update. It takes under an hour. I rarely drive her car. I did notice after the update that shifts seem even crisper than before (not that they were ever a problem)....
Thanks for the recommendation, 6769MOPARS. They're always appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by visioncarpentry.nl View Post
brought the 2012 focus into the shop yesterday, they reprogrammed the computer as per the recall. got it back today and there is absolutely no change...
Hello visioncarpentry.nl,

Have you contacted the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center? Please try that route, if you have not done so. Their contact number is 1-800-565-3673.

Take care!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 09:08 AM   #422
peebs1984
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91583
What I Drive: 2012, Grey Metallic, SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 peebs1984 Good Standing Member
I had my focus in at ford yesterday for them to apply the update. I was in and out in about an hour. I never really noticed any major concerns, (maybe because i have driven standard before?) but i also noticed the transition from 1st to 2nd is a lot smoother. I wasn't unhappy with the car before, but i'm liking how it's driving even more now.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #423
ghiafocus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99890
What I Drive: Hatch 2012 SEL Oxford White, 303A

FF Reputation: 1 ghiafocus Good Standing Member
I experienced shuddering and hesitation when coming from stop to go on a traffic from my 2012 SEL lately and seems to occur regularly. So i took it to Ford service and they updated or re-flashed the transmission. Now its ok and did not have that frightful shuddering and hesitation. It feels to be well behaved now, like its seems to shift gears at the right time,. hope this helps
Old 06-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #424
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebs1984 View Post
I had my focus in at ford yesterday for them to apply the update. I was in and out in about an hour. I never really noticed any major concerns, (maybe because i have driven standard before?) but i also noticed the transition from 1st to 2nd is a lot smoother. I wasn't unhappy with the car before, but i'm liking how it's driving even more now.
My 1-2 shift is absolutely seamless now as well.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #425
REBLight
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99983
What I Drive: 2002, Red, Taurus

FF Reputation: 1 REBLight Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgrizzard View Post
I've had my new Ford Focus for less than 2 months. I'm about to take it back to the Northside Ford Service Center in San Antonio, which will make my fourth time to have it back in service since I bought it. At very low speeds, like in stop-and-go driving, with light breaking pressure, the car shakes and shutters. At first I was told it's just the way the new transmissions are. I drove to another dealership and drove another Focus. The problem was not there. So I took it back in and was they given a copy of a service bulletin that says the shuttering problem will soon clear up and the clutches needed time to break in. The problem got worse. I took it back in a third time, and on the way a cooling fan motor burned up, and after a week they said the cooling fan motor was replaced and the shuttering couldn't be felt. Well I drove it off the lot, turned around, and asked the service rep to go for a ride. When I showed him what I had been experiencing he was wide-eyed and went back in to get the transmission expert who also took a ride and said that's a real problem because our legs were shaking inside the car. The tech then agreed that he would not be happy paying $21,000 for a car that acted this way. So now, I'm leaving it at the service center again. Oh, and the trans tech now says he thinks if may be a braking problem. Has anyone experienced the same thing? I'm very, very close to just parking it and hiring a lawyer. I feel taken for a ride, and not in a Ford Focus.
I had the same problems with the shaking and I am still feeling the vibration in my right leg. My car was sold as a new car with 13 miles, but found out 2 days later that it was a demo with 900 miles. Dealer wouldn't give me another car, so I left it on the lot after the 3rd attempt to resolve the matter. I cried so hard in the showroom and told the manager this was not ethical. Wasn't give a return slip or deposit refund. I'm working with consumer affairs...but the finance company states that it will be repo because the dealer is not cooperating...so I'm looking for a lawyer...anyone want to join on a class action????
Old 06-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #426
DEREKC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82958
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 DEREKC Good Standing Member
Don't forget that some dealers have their interests at heart, and then again it all depends who you speak with. They do not work for Ford, and certainly do not represent Ford's interests. Ford itself has heard us, and has come out with the fixes that we believe the car has; the reset is up to the dealers to make right!
Old 07-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #427
usinope
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98760
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Metallic Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 usinope Good Standing Member
UPDATE: About a month after reprogramming the PCM and TCM, I had a scary incident which I assume is still related to the transmission. I was driving on the expressway during a 500 mile trip for business. About 475 miles into the trip, I almost completely lost the ability to accelerate. I needed to accelerate to go around a slow moving truck. I only needed to accelerate from 65 MPH to 70 MPH. I stepped on the accelerator, (even tried flooring it) and the engine just revved loudly at 4500 RPMs and would not shift to accelerate any further. At the next highway interchange I needed to decelerate to about 45 MPH. Upon attempting to get back up to full speed, the engine had a very hard time getting there and merging felt very dangerous. I've completely lost faith in this vehicle and Ford in general. (Even after owning a 2006 Fusion for six years). This 2012 Focus experience has been nothing short of frustrating, and now just feels downright unsafe.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #428
goseejoe
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90776
What I Drive: 2012 silver sel

FF Reputation: 1 goseejoe Good Standing Member
I feel your pain!

I do not have any confidence in this car. I have even less faith in my local dealer. Its been in their shop twice and had the first update done with questionable results.
I know there is a newer reprogram available but that would mean a trip to the dealer. Think I will just live with what I have and drive my Toyota more.
It has never been to the dealer for any issues. It will even merge with traffic and not get me run over.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #429
fixxer
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100842
What I Drive: 2012 Gray Focus Titanium Hb

FF Reputation: 1 fixxer Good Standing Member
I just got a new 2012 Ti -- I'm still trying to get used to the DTC system, it does feel different to any car I've driven before. Sometimes I really enjoy it, other times I feel like it doesn't react fast enough off a stopping position. Anyways, is there a way for me to check whether my car has the re-programmed transmission already? I called the dealer and they say they will get back with me, I'm just wondering if there's anyway I can check for my self at a Ford website. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:43 AM   #430
SD Focus1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97565
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 SD Focus1 Good Standing Member
Shift Shudder Problem is back

I had the TSB done and the transmission was flashed/re-programed. Everything was fine and now 2k miles later it is acting like it was never flashed/re-programed. The shudder noises and problem shifting from 1st to 2nd gear are back. Has anyone else experiences this? Its as if the reprograming didn't hold and it went back to the previous version.

Bookmarks & Social Networks