Ford Focus ST vs WRX vs GTi vs Volvo C30 vs Civic SI vs Veloster Turbo vs Mazdaspeed 3 - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack View Post
Yeah, and the ST should do even better, with wider tires and more aggressive torque vectoring. I'm really looking forward to seeing what this car can do.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile

Posted via FF Mobile Yea, what you think? A few more G's or you think the magazines will be like .95 Gs from a Focus HOLY CRAP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #12
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Points 4,082, Level 40
Points: 4,082, Level: 40 Points: 4,082, Level: 40 Points: 4,082, Level: 40
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
That's still a heavy car for not having AWD.
Subaru addressed their lean issues with this year and I used my Access tuner stage 1 reflash to help the STI and the datalogs show no detonation.
On a tight twisty track a FWD car can be vetter than an AWD car but AWD makes even a so-so driver good,you need to be a very good driver to get the FWD around the same track. I autocrossed my '93 Mitsu Eclipse AWD and it was much easier to drive at the limits then my fwd Type R which required alot more attention.
The AWD has a big margin for error and is easy to correct when it gets loose and it's a true all weather car since you can track it one day,hit the dirt the next day and then it still can get you to the ski resorts with no issues. If it's your primary car in an area that sees snow regularly AWD is a must for me

For the money I'd still take the WRX but that said the ST is still a pretty sweet car and I like it in red.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
LouBomb
It was all a DREAM!

Fan#: 32545
What I Drive: A magical pony by the name of Sally

Points 10,802, Level 68
Points: 10,802, Level: 68 Points: 10,802, Level: 68 Points: 10,802, Level: 68
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 9 LouBomb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
If i were in the market and it was between a wrx and a st... i would take the wrx...
Focus Revolution Club
Formely IMPORTKILLA35
Old 05-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
RedComet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99232
What I Drive: TB '14 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 7 RedComet Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTwin60 View Post
hopefully the new ST proves to be a reliable powerplant, something that Subaru does not have. Yes they're fast and yes you can modify them for great power, but they have more than just a few engine problems. They have had issues with both the standard WRX and STI with piston ring failures at an alarmingly high level bone stock from the factory related to insufficient cooling (oil flow) and poor materials. The misfiring and detonation issue is another concern leading to this problem and its an issue that Subaru has had since the last generation of WRX's. Its enough of a problem that several tuner mags make quick mention of it, while saying its the greatest thing since sliced bread in the same breath. Take look at several of the WRX forums around and you may come to a similar conclusion, also keep in mind that relatively very few WRX's are sold nation wide.
I think this is a misrepresentation of the situation as far as the EJ25 motor goes. Yes, there is a known issue with it, in which some people experience piston ringland failure and detonation, (in cyls 1 and 4, iirc). Most of the community has isolated this issue to being due to a poor factory tune, and mostly present in 08 and early 09 models. I haven't heard of any '11 or '12 GR WRXs or STIs on IWSTI or NASIOC having that particular problem yet. And, the last statement there should be backed up with facts if you're going to make it at all, as up hee, the WRX and STi are extremely popular cars. I see WRXs here more often than I see the Golf. I live in the same neighborhood as three GD chassis STis alone.

But, the chart and OP honestly doesn't seem to have an unbiased representation in mind, so I guess the thread 'is what it is'.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #15
thehubster
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46763
What I Drive: 2002 Blue Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 2 thehubster Good Standing Member
I honestly don't know which i would choose. I have the experience with the Focus through my SVT but the AWD of the WRX is very appealing. I must say the ST is a very nice car and i have been seeing the new focus a lot more recently. It would be a very hard choice for me.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #16
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Points 4,082, Level 40
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
I like unbiased thinking since there's alot to consider when buying a car and I think you limit yourself just driving one brand and not trying out others plus you can appear ignorantt on car forums real quick when you just tout one brand. I was partial to Mitsubishi through the '90s but I never turned down the knowledge or opportunity to drive another car if it was presented to me.

I'm sure I'll take a test drive in the ST for shits and grins so I can give a genuine opinion but I'm not going to buy one.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #17
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Fan#: 51359
What I Drive: 2006 Saabaru "The Unicorn"

Points 10,683, Level 68
Points: 10,683, Level: 68 Points: 10,683, Level: 68 Points: 10,683, Level: 68
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 17 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Kevin on here has a WRX, he babies it to get 24mpg, (with quite a bit of highway.) If the ST can pull 28mpg on a mixed tank, then it's a decent advantage.

You don't need AWD in winter, I spent last winter in Frisco, CO snowboarding, and my focus did just fine, we would drive it over Vail Pass on powder days, you can't get much more wild than that. For me, FWD = easier to drive on a not known twisty road. (Gas = understeer, brake = oversteer) better mileage, less maintenance, etc.

ST CREW #107 / TEAM DURATEC #93 / D23 Crew #3
Old 05-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #18
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Points 4,082, Level 40
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
I don't think I'll be bragging about my MPGs at the track. It's about who finishes first .
Yes,you don't NEED AWD in winter but when it's at 10" or so AWD will ensure you get there and much less to worry about and try to get fwd going on a slope from a standstill.

I got 28mpg hwy from my STI on a trip from NM up to Denver but around town it's in the 19s but that's why I bought the Focus.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #19
lyonsroar

Fan#: 63166
What I Drive: 2009 Volkswagen GTI

FF Reputation: 31 lyonsroar Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylesvt720 View Post
Kevin on here has a WRX, he babies it to get 24mpg, (with quite a bit of highway.) If the ST can pull 28mpg on a mixed tank, then it's a decent advantage.

You don't need AWD in winter, I spent last winter in Frisco, CO snowboarding, and my focus did just fine, we would drive it over Vail Pass on powder days, you can't get much more wild than that. For me, FWD = easier to drive on a not known twisty road. (Gas = understeer, brake = oversteer) better mileage, less maintenance, etc.
Frisco you say?

Frisco, CO by Lyonsroar91, on Flickr

Gorgeous place...

As for these cars, I'd probably take the Veloster Turbo. It's quirky and cheap enough for me to afford. Also good enough on gas to be my DD!

Old 05-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #20
RedComet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99232
What I Drive: TB '14 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 7 RedComet Good Standing Member
I've several buddies with the regular veloster; they like it quite a bit. Hell, it's making me re-think my opinion of the marque.

Bookmarks & Social Networks