TSB 12-02-17 - Steering issue - New TSB? - Page 14 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #131
Aaron65
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94813
What I Drive: 2012 Black SE Sedan 5-speed

FF Reputation: 1 Aaron65 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Mine's been back twice with poor results. The TSB rack is way worse than original....now it tightens up at freeway speeds, by about 20 miles of driving it literally had "notches" in it. I took it back again and they "retorqued the mount." Now it just takes longer for the same result. It's going in again next Tuesday. I'm pretty sure my replacement steering gear is defective. But the dealer I took it to only drove it 25 miles total between two tests and declared it fixed. So I'm trying another dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #132
Dick W
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91695
What I Drive: 2012 5dr SGM Ti/09 135i/07 CR-V

FF Reputation: 2 Dick W Good Standing Member
They extended the effectivity of this at least twice--most recently to produced before 12/11/11, from what's been posted here--and haven't extended it since (again, form what's been posted here). The total number of vehicles affected may be represented by all the posters in this thread reporting the problem--we really can't know.

I was not happy about having this much surgery on a five month old vehicle. But the alternative was worse. I don't think they had to drop the cradle to do it but could be wrong.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #133
pinkerton81
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99033
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 pinkerton81 Good Standing Member
Dealer just replaced my rack. It took a week to get parts. After a 35 mile drive this morning, I'm not convinced this problem is gone. It's definately improved, yet still doesn't track like a 'normal' vehicle. I'll give it some more time.

The dealer also did the DCT TSB (which seems to have eliminated the chugging from start), wiper connector checks, and they found a "twisted" CV boot leading to it's replacement along with an axle.

The rack manufacturer (TRW?) is probably having much difficulty keeping up with these replacements.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #134
Scott W
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97094
What I Drive: 2012 Black SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 Scott W Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron65 View Post
Mine's been back twice with poor results. The TSB rack is way worse than original....now it tightens up at freeway speeds, by about 20 miles of driving it literally had "notches" in it. I took it back again and they "retorqued the mount." Now it just takes longer for the same result. It's going in again next Tuesday. I'm pretty sure my replacement steering gear is defective. But the dealer I took it to only drove it 25 miles total between two tests and declared it fixed. So I'm trying another dealer.
Just wanted to let you know your not the only one that the TSB did not fix. My car was built after cut off date. Dealer checked alignment and told me it drove normal. I got Ford Customer Service involved and got rack replaced. I picked it up and almost wrecked the car on drive home, steering wheel locked on center and had to be pulled with both hands to move it. They put another rack in it and said it was worse yet. Ford engineer showed up a day after that and three hours later they called to say car steers great. They did not say what they did that actually fixed it, but I have been driving it a month now and it is great on all pavements at any speed. Just keep after them it will be fixed.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #135
Scott W
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97094
What I Drive: 2012 Black SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 Scott W Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerton81 View Post
Dealer just replaced my rack. It took a week to get parts. After a 35 mile drive this morning, I'm not convinced this problem is gone. It's definately improved, yet still doesn't track like a 'normal' vehicle. I'll give it some more time.

The dealer also did the DCT TSB (which seems to have eliminated the chugging from start), wiper connector checks, and they found a "twisted" CV boot leading to it's replacement along with an axle.

The rack manufacturer (TRW?) is probably having much difficulty keeping up with these replacements.
People that read about the steering rack issues have to keep in mind that the ones that have issues are a very small part of the units built, upwards of 150,000 so far. Speaking from my experience it sucks to be one of the owners that has the problem and have the Dealer try to dismiss your concern. Get in touch with Noemi and get the help you need, that is how mine got taken care of.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #136
RedStormRising
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99218
What I Drive: 2012 RCTC Focus Titanium 5sp

FF Reputation: 1 RedStormRising Good Standing Member
Took my Ti in this morning for what I suspect is this wandering issue. My car is a May '12 build but reading what some of you have experienced matches my my own concerns. Service says there is no issue and that there was nothing in the system for it. Im picking up the car in the morning but I have reservations. Any advice? I'm not sure telling them what I've read from a a forum is going to help much. Thanks for reading my rant.

-RSR
Old 05-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #137
Aaron65
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott W View Post
People that read about the steering rack issues have to keep in mind that the ones that have issues are a very small part of the units built, upwards of 150,000 so far. Speaking from my experience it sucks to be one of the owners that has the problem and have the Dealer try to dismiss your concern. Get in touch with Noemi and get the help you need, that is how mine got taken care of.
I've got an appointment at a dealer in the town where I work next week. Hopefully it gets solved and I don't have to go this route, but I will if it doesn't get solved soon! Thanks!
Old 05-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #138
ccelaya
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92465
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey - Focus HB Sport

FF Reputation: 1 ccelaya Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott W View Post
Just wanted to let you know your not the only one that the TSB did not fix. My car was built after cut off date. Dealer checked alignment and told me it drove normal. I got Ford Customer Service involved and got rack replaced. I picked it up and almost wrecked the car on drive home, steering wheel locked on center and had to be pulled with both hands to move it. They put another rack in it and said it was worse yet. Ford engineer showed up a day after that and three hours later they called to say car steers great. They did not say what they did that actually fixed it, but I have been driving it a month now and it is great on all pavements at any speed. Just keep after them it will be fixed.
Im on the same boat here...
I just came back from the dealer and the problem is even worse. The steering wheel feels tighter (which is good) but I can't get the car to go straight... it "locks" itself between left and right giving a ping pong effect. Also they messed up the steering wheel alignment, I have to turn it to the left to make it go straight.

The dealer will try to fix the steering wheel alignment, and hopefully everything else will get better. I think I got an "old build" rack assy by mistake... it's far worse than the one that I had.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #139
allyy

Fan#: 95236
What I Drive: 2012 focus

FF Reputation: -3 allyy Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStormRising View Post
Took my Ti in this morning for what I suspect is this wandering issue. My car is a May '12 build but reading what some of you have experienced matches my my own concerns. Service says there is no issue and that there was nothing in the system for it. Im picking up the car in the morning but I have reservations. Any advice? I'm not sure telling them what I've read from a a forum is going to help much. Thanks for reading my rant.

-RSR
Mine is going from left to right on the highway i have to keep moveing the wheel a little each way to keep it straight. This was only after i had the recent 12b37 update and the dealer said they cant undo the update.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #140
Aaron65
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccelaya View Post
Im on the same boat here...
I just came back from the dealer and the problem is even worse. The steering wheel feels tighter (which is good) but I can't get the car to go straight... it "locks" itself between left and right giving a ping pong effect. Also they messed up the steering wheel alignment, I have to turn it to the left to make it go straight.

The dealer will try to fix the steering wheel alignment, and hopefully everything else will get better. I think I got an "old build" rack assy by mistake... it's far worse than the one that I had.
This is EXACTLY what mine is doing...

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->