2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 42 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #411
airboss1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97559
What I Drive: 2012 sonic blue se

FF Reputation: 1 airboss1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Customer Satisfaction Program..jerky Transmission

Well it's official...I received a Ford Motor Company, Customer Satisfaction Program letter in the mail the other day regarding jerky transmission shifts. Also the vehicle may experience roll back when the driver is transitioning from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal while on a slight incline. Ford has developed calibration improvements to the Power train Control Module, transmission Control Module, and the Anti-lock Brake module. The customer satisfaction program will be effect until May 31, 2013 regardless of mileage.
Ok .....so with only 4100 miles on my Focus, and the jerky transmission shifts are almost non-existing, and yes it does have the roll backs when you release the brake pedal,,,,, I'm getting high 38 city mpg, and "WOW" 41 highway mpg, do I dare take it in and have them do this? Will this "Calibration" mess this great mileage up by doing this?
Need some advice please!

D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012, 12:18 AM   #412
a_2000_se
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62964
What I Drive: 2000 SE SOHC SPI, Compression @ 164

FF Reputation: 15 a_2000_se Great Standing Member
^^^ I don't think I would.

The Customer Satisfaction Program is for those that aren't satisfied or like to complain. You know the issues and how to deal with them and more importantly 'are satisfied'. The old cliche, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", may apply here.

My fear would be just what you state - you'll lose those impressive mpg numbers. Or they'll screw something else up.

But then will they do it without asking next time you take your car in for some routine service - and you'll never know. TSB's get done all the time when cars are brought in, without asking the owner or notifying the owner.

Can the version/ revision of software for the PCM be displayed so you know what's installed on the car now and can an earlier version ever be reinstalled if it's updated?

.....Hmmmm something's changed but I don't know what......
Replaced #4 Piston, Rings, Rod+Bearings, AERA Re-Manufactured Cylinder Head and a light Hone. Then CLEANED the hell out of everything.
60k+ miles.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:28 AM   #413
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboss1 View Post
Well it's official...I received a Ford Motor Company, Customer Satisfaction Program letter in the mail the other day regarding jerky transmission shifts. Also the vehicle may experience roll back when the driver is transitioning from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal while on a slight incline. Ford has developed calibration improvements to the Power train Control Module, transmission Control Module, and the Anti-lock Brake module. The customer satisfaction program will be effect until May 31, 2013 regardless of mileage.
Ok .....so with only 4100 miles on my Focus, and the jerky transmission shifts are almost non-existing, and yes it does have the roll backs when you release the brake pedal,,,,, I'm getting high 38 city mpg, and "WOW" 41 highway mpg, do I dare take it in and have them do this? Will this "Calibration" mess this great mileage up by doing this?
Need some advice please!

D
Do you mean the FSA letter? I had it done on my wife's Focus and there has been no change in gas mileage. We're driving it 2000 miles over the weekend and I'll know more them.

I'd recommend getting it done. I think that when you go for service, they will apply the update. It takes under an hour. I rarely drive her car. I did notice after the update that shifts seem even crisper than before (not that they were ever a problem). And, hill assist works very well. Of course, I have driven many manuals and always use the brake to hold the car at a stop. I have never used the tranny to hold the car in place.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #414
visioncarpentry.nl
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90911
What I Drive: 2012 focus grey

FF Reputation: 1 visioncarpentry.nl Good Standing Member
ford focus tranny issues

brought the 2012 focus into the shop yesterday, they reprogrammed the computer as per the recall. got it back today and there is absolutely no change. there is a tsb on the clutch assembly. it states that the clutch assembly is out of balance, however here in Canada at ford they cant seem to find that tsb. so for now my car continues to be another pile of of scrap on wheels, if i could get what i paid for it in scrap metal i would love to see it crushed and destroyed . its going back in on monday. THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER FORD IN MY DRIVEWAY, and i continue to tell everyone about the crap that i have put up with to insure no one i know buys one either.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #415
a_2000_se
Focus Addict

I'm looking at the previous two post and thinking maybe it's just a coincidence or a look into the future.......

".....I did notice after the update that shifts seem even crisper than before....."

and

".....there is a tsb on the clutch assembly. it states that the clutch assembly is out of balance....."

The Customer Satisfaction Program regarding calibration improvements: "Ford has developed calibration improvements to the Power train Control Module, transmission Control Module..."

Will this affect the life of the transmission - lasting twice as long now or half as long?
Replaced #4 Piston, Rings, Rod+Bearings, AERA Re-Manufactured Cylinder Head and a light Hone. Then CLEANED the hell out of everything.
60k+ miles.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #416
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_2000_se View Post
I'm looking at the previous two post and thinking maybe it's just a coincidence or a look into the future.......

".....I did notice after the update that shifts seem even crisper than before....."

and

".....there is a tsb on the clutch assembly. it states that the clutch assembly is out of balance....."

The Customer Satisfaction Program regarding calibration improvements: "Ford has developed calibration improvements to the Power train Control Module, transmission Control Module..."

Will this affect the life of the transmission - lasting twice as long now or half as long?
I'm not sure what you're worried about.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #417
a_2000_se
Focus Addict

Not really worried as I don't own one but will the software update cause a transmission failure sooner or later?

Looser - more wear?
Tighter - more or less wear?
60k+ miles.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #418
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
I suppose the answer(s) will be forthcoming with thousands of miles of use.

I don't have a clue.

I just had all the updates to tranny/ABS, had the oil changed, tires rotated, just about everything that could be done in a day.

Just got back from an extended trip, I'll have to wring-out the changes and see what shakes-out.

I was hoping for a much faster shift using selectshift, but haven't had time to try any of it yet. I didn't notice anything different on the drive home from the dealer, except my 1-2 shift is now smoother.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #419
Focususer2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99803
What I Drive: 2012Gray

FF Reputation: 1 Focususer2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by visioncarpentry.nl View Post
brought the 2012 focus into the shop yesterday, they reprogrammed the computer as per the recall. got it back today and there is absolutely no change. there is a tsb on the clutch assembly. it states that the clutch assembly is out of balance, however here in Canada at ford they cant seem to find that tsb. so for now my car continues to be another pile of of scrap on wheels, if i could get what i paid for it in scrap metal i would love to see it crushed and destroyed . its going back in on monday. THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER FORD IN MY DRIVEWAY, and i continue to tell everyone about the crap that i have put up with to insure no one i know buys one either.
Sorry to read about your problem. I do not like gear shifts IN MY 2012 Focus, but I am unsure whether to take it in for the software upgrade. I DON'T GET IT! How come some users have problems and some others don't?

SOFTWARE SHOULD WORK IDENTICALLY WELL OR NOT IN ALL CARS!! It's not like a mechanical assmbly could be imperfect in some cars and fine in others?!! WHAT IS WORNG HERE? !!
Old 06-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #420
minitaz1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98652
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 minitaz1 Good Standing Member
Trans Shudder

Our Focus has had the TSB applied it's a reprogram of t8he Power Train Control module, it has made the shudder a little better but the issue is still there. Our Focus is going back on Thursday, for 2 trim concerns and the trans shudder complaint will be on the repair order again. That will make 2 times for the same complaint .

Bookmarks & Social Networks