anyone using premium gas ? - Page 29 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #281
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88299
Location: Torrance, CA
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Posts: 2,872
FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweisbard View Post
If the engine is not knocking or pinging, there is no performance to be gained by octane alone.
Consider the 2013 Mustang GT (5.0L Ti-VCT V-8 engine)
Recommended fuel: unleaded regular
HP: regular fuel: 402 @ 6,500, premium fuel: 420 @ 6,500

Two questions:

1) Do you think that the 5.0L engine is constantly "knocking or pinging" when using unleaded regular?

2) Why don't you believe that is possible for the PCM to adjust for different octane levels?



Quote:
Originally Posted by eweisbard View Post
Octane is for antiknock, if its not knocking whay do you need more.
To get better performance. Isn't that simple?

Did they teach you in school that the octane requirement of an engine can change according to various tuning parameters?
Kabigon is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #282
Power Surge
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2008
Fan#: 55878
Location: Palm Coast, FL, FL
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE 5-door

Posts: 333
FF Reputation: 1 Power Surge Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Consider the 2013 Mustang GT (5.0L Ti-VCT V-8 engine)
Recommended fuel: unleaded regular
HP: regular fuel: 402 @ 6,500, premium fuel: 420 @ 6,500

Two questions:

1) Do you think that the 5.0L engine is constantly "knocking or pinging" when using unleaded regular?

2) Why don't you believe that is possible for the PCM to adjust for different octane levels?





To get better performance. Isn't that simple?

Why didn't they teach you in school that the octane requirement of an engine can change according to various tuning parameters.

Wow....let's go around the world AGAIN here. You don't get more HP from higher octane, you get more HP from more timing (to a point).

You do realize that you're contradicting yourself now, right?
__________________
Sal
2012 Race Red 5-door SE, 18" Ti wheels, Ti headlights/fog bezels, 20% tint, debadged trunk
2002 Sonic Blue SVT - supercharged (sold)
2008 Vista Blue SE (gone)
Power Surge is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #283
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast
 
Focus YBTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 97107
Location: Southeast, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

Posts: 526
FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well that's kinda the point here

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweisbard View Post
The main discussion here is an 87 octane engine being run on higher octane, and if ther would be an advantage. Like I said in my previous post, you cant trust 87 octane to be 87 octane. It could be 65. Known for a fact to be true at times. If you run poor quality fuel and switch to 93 you would probably notice a difference. They did not talk about at school the requirments of specific engines, just that if they are not knocking they dont need more octane. One thing that concerns me about this discussion is that everyone says that efi can adjust for knock from low octane, but at what cost. If timing must suffer for no knock then performance should too. But this is not even what the whole discussion has been about, it is extra octane, is there a benefit.

You're kind of flailing now. The engine has quite a high compression ratio and adjusts ignition timing and other variables according to the spark knock detection. High octane or premium gasoline will definitely allow it to adjust itself to run better than on regular gasoline. Whether it's worth it or not is another subject.
Focus YBTC is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #284
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88299
Location: Torrance, CA
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Posts: 2,872
FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
Wow....let's go around the world AGAIN here. You don't get more HP from higher octane, you get more HP from more timing (to a point).

You do realize that you're contradicting yourself now, right?
Q: "Octane is for antiknock, if its not knocking whay do you need more."

A: To get better performance.

There is no contradiction so what is your point?

Do you think that the 2013 Mustang 5.0L engine is constantly "knocking or pinging" when using unleaded regular?
Kabigon is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #285
raptor1956
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97725
Location: Taylorsville, UT
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Posts: 1,175
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweisbard View Post
The main discussion here is an 87 octane engine being run on higher octane, and if ther would be an advantage. Like I said in my previous post, you cant trust 87 octane to be 87 octane. It could be 65. Known for a fact to be true at times. If you run poor quality fuel and switch to 93 you would probably notice a difference. They did not talk about at school the requirments of specific engines, just that if they are not knocking they dont need more octane. One thing that concerns me about this discussion is that everyone says that efi can adjust for knock from low octane, but at what cost. If timing must suffer for no knock then performance should too. But this is not even what the whole discussion has been about, it is extra octane, is there a benefit.
I'll as you again but in a different way ... is a 12:1 compression ratio engine an 87 octane engine?


Brian
raptor1956 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #286
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict
 
MyThIc3LiTe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95163
Location: Edmonton, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

Posts: 782
FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My g god

The whiners aren't those that have used 91/93 or higher and seen benefits

The whiners are those that haven't and can't understand our perspective.

We've proven that premium fuels in GDI engines improved performance, especially with our higher 12:1 ratio.

You morons now do us a favor and dog up facts to back up your statements instead of just throwing out useless statements about how premium is a waste of money.
__________________
2012 Ford Focus Titanium Blue Candy Hatch 2009 Suzuki Swift+ - Traded in 2006 Lincoln Zephyr - Traded in

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
MyThIc3LiTe is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #287
LHolden
Focus Rookie
 
LHolden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Fan#: 99075
Location: Tacoma, WA
What I Drive: Ingot Silver FF Ti

Posts: 9
FF Reputation: 1 LHolden Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have an example...from first hand experience, how premium may be able to save fuel.
On my way home from work every day, there is a long, fairly steep hill with a 30 mph speed limit. When running 87 octane, without fail, the car would downshift, rpm's go up, and I would lose .5-.7 mpg on the dash display by the time I reached the top...Now, running 92 octane, I can pull the hill without the car downshifting, and only lose .2-.4 mpg to the top. My assumption is that under a heavier load, the premium fuel does not knock, timing is more advanced, more power is being generated, and the transmission doesn't need to kick down.
Not scientific, nor is it huge savings, but it is an example.
LHolden is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:50 AM   #288
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict
 
MyThIc3LiTe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95163
Location: Edmonton, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

Posts: 782
FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweisbard View Post
I guess theres no room for opinion on this forum.
signed "the troll"
Opinion is fine. Don't try and make it a fact unless you have proof that's all.
__________________
2012 Ford Focus Titanium Blue Candy Hatch 2009 Suzuki Swift+ - Traded in 2006 Lincoln Zephyr - Traded in

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
MyThIc3LiTe is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:03 AM   #289
MKorn
Focus Enthusiast
 
MKorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97610
Location: Flint, MI
What I Drive: 2012, SE, Sport, 5MT, Hatch -Silver

Posts: 165
FF Reputation: 1 MKorn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
After running 4 tanks or 89 octane .... i went back to 87 for a test tank.
I lost 2 mpg and the car is definetly less responsive.

Debate all you want ... the best way is to test it for yourself to see if it will do any good for YOU.

For me ... i will be using 89 octane from now on.

We have a 12.4 gal tank, with a difference of 10 cents a gal ... it will cost you a max of a $1.24 to check it for yourself!!
MKorn is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:26 AM   #290
dyn085
That Guy
 
dyn085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98047
Location: Fayetteville, NC
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Posts: 11,894
FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKorn View Post
After running 4 tanks or 89 octane .... i went back to 87 for a test tank.
I lost 2 mpg and the car is definetly less responsive.

Debate all you want ... the best way is to test it for yourself to see if it will do any good for YOU.

For me ... i will be using 89 octane from now on.

We have a 12.4 gal tank, with a difference of 10 cents a gal ... it will cost you a max of a $1.24 to check it for yourself!!
dyn085 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.