Cylinder head!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
poppop
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59702
What I Drive: 2001,Red,LX

FF Reputation: 2 poppop Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan View Post
I did take a look at that seller but their feedback rating isn't as good as the WV one and their prices are a little higher. Hmmm...
Sorry-I missed the word cheap in the OP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
IA_Chiefs_fan
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99008
What I Drive: 2001, Black, Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 IA_Chiefs_fan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppop View Post
Sorry-I missed the word cheap in the OP.
I'm not the OP, I just jumped in because my scenario is the exact same as his. While I'd like to save money, I don't mind paying a little extra to know I'm getting quality. I'm still slightly perplexed by the fact the seller you've had good experiences with has a lower feedback score than a couple of the others you referenced. I do appreciate your input very much.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #13
poppop
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59702
What I Drive: 2001,Red,LX

FF Reputation: 2 poppop Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan View Post
I'm not the OP, I just jumped in because my scenario is the exact same as his. While I'd like to save money, I don't mind paying a little extra to know I'm getting quality. I'm still slightly perplexed by the fact the seller you've had good experiences with has a lower feedback score than a couple of the others you referenced. I do appreciate your input very much.
Perplexed over less than 1/2 of a percentage point?You keep thinking about it.I wish you the best.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #14
IA_Chiefs_fan
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppop View Post
Perplexed over less than 1/2 of a percentage point?You keep thinking about it.I wish you the best.
LOL, Touche...

However, an eBay seller with < 99% positive feedback is typically a crappy seller. Perhaps their scores will be inherently lower with this type of seller. I dunno.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #15
a_2000_se
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62964
What I Drive: 2000 SE SOHC SPI, Compression @ 164

FF Reputation: 15 a_2000_se Great Standing Member
Something to think about.

Almost any head you buy will require a core, you must return a head of like kind. At this late stage in the game, it's been 8 years since the last model year that used a SOHC - 2004, most any reworked head you get will be one that has previously dropped a valve seat in the past.

And as you have seen they suffer damage, sometimes to a great extent. The head you have on your car that you are thinking of replacing to avoid the issue - hasn't dropped a valve seat, yet? And you know the mileage on that head.

Sure they test the heads for leaks but you will have a head with unknown mileage and parts with unknown mileage. Plus thread holes may need to be reworked - helicoils.

So if you know your heads mileage and condition. Give some thought to having IT rebuilt per AERA standards.

But, It looks like there is an after market head available, NEW with updated seats, that is being cast to replace the SOHC SPI head. I think I saw it on E-bay.

fyi
Replaced #4 Piston, Rings, Rod+Bearings, AERA Re-Manufactured Cylinder Head and a light Hone. Then CLEANED the hell out of everything.
60k+ miles.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #16
IA_Chiefs_fan
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_2000_se View Post
Something to think about.

Almost any head you buy will require a core, you must return a head of like kind. At this late stage in the game, it's been 8 years since the last model year that used a SOHC - 2004, most any reworked head you get will be one that has previously dropped a valve seat in the past.

And as you have seen they suffer damage, sometimes to a great extent. The head you have on your car that you are thinking of replacing to avoid the issue - hasn't dropped a valve seat, yet? And you know the mileage on that head.

Sure they test the heads for leaks but you will have a head with unknown mileage and parts with unknown mileage. Plus thread holes may need to be reworked - helicoils.

So if you know your heads mileage and condition. Give some thought to having IT rebuilt per AERA standards.

But, It looks like there is an after market head available, NEW with updated seats, that is being cast to replace the SOHC SPI head. I think I saw it on E-bay.

fyi
This is a great point that I hadn't thought of. To be honest I was thinking a remaned head was "as good as new". I'll look into the new, aftermarket heads. Thanks, buddy!
Old 05-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #17
Aprilionare
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95385
What I Drive: 2003 red SE

FF Reputation: 1 Aprilionare Good Standing Member
Get a new head that has been cast. They are on the 'bay.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->