oil consumption - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #11
Power Surge
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55878
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE 5-door

FF Reputation: 1 Power Surge Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterg View Post
Mines not losing 1 quart every 1000. It was blowing about a quart or 1/2 quart 3-4000 miles. All the dealer did was monitor it,as I was. It appears to be getting better. I have 17,000 on it now and at around 16,000 it was about 1/3rd below the first hole. At 17,000 it was in the middle of the hash marks. Thats with 7,000 miles after my last oil change. Still not acceptable in my eyes.Ford won't do anything about it but ignore the problem. I'm stuck with a motor that burns oil I guess.
Why are you going so long between oil changes, and what oil are you using?
2008 Vista Blue SE (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
sterg
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86158
What I Drive: 2012 Focuse SE Kona blue

FF Reputation: 1 sterg Good Standing Member
I'm using motorcraft 1/2 synthetic 5-30. I don't think 7500 miles is too long before the oil has to be changed. It's not even that dirty at 7500.
Moonroof
Old 05-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #13
Power Surge
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm using motorcraft 1/2 synthetic 5-30. I don't think 7500 miles is too long before the oil has to be changed. It's not even that dirty at 7500.
I'll give you my professional opinion as a technician, a 15 year Ford tuning and engine building veteran, and as someone who has spent immense amounts of time on the subject of oil (thank the GT500 world for that).

First of all, Motorcraft oil is complete junk. This is not my opinion, this is fact based on compiled oil analysis data that has been databased over the years as compared to other oils. It has horrible shearing (it shears down to a lighter weight within 2000 miles), and very low burn off tolerance (it burns off very quickly). The additive package is usually completely depleated by 5000 miles. And this is for the Motorcraft full syn, so think how much worse the semi is.

Second, I do not believe it to be a good idea running oil past 5000 miles, unless you are using oil that can make it that far. The manufacturer intervals on maintanance things are getting rediculously stupid in the past few years. If you are running motorcraft oil to 7500 miles, then I am not surprised you are burning it off.

My PERSONAL advice, is to switch to Amsoil 5-20 full syn. It has the highest burn off rate of any brand, has a better additive package, does not shear down, and I run my engines at 10k intervals with it.

With that said, this is my opinion. I know how oil threads can go, and I am not trying to start a 30 page discussion on oil. I've been through many of them.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #14
sterg
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86158
What I Drive: 2012 Focuse SE Kona blue

FF Reputation: 1 sterg Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
I'll give you my professional opinion as a technician, a 15 year Ford tuning and engine building veteran, and as someone who has spent immense amounts of time on the subject of oil (thank the GT500 world for that).

First of all, Motorcraft oil is complete junk. This is not my opinion, this is fact based on compiled oil analysis data that has been databased over the years as compared to other oils. It has horrible shearing (it shears down to a lighter weight within 2000 miles), and very low burn off tolerance (it burns off very quickly). The additive package is usually completely depleated by 5000 miles. And this is for the Motorcraft full syn, so think how much worse the semi is.

Second, I do not believe it to be a good idea running oil past 5000 miles, unless you are using oil that can make it that far. The manufacturer intervals on maintanance things are getting rediculously stupid in the past few years. If you are running motorcraft oil to 7500 miles, then I am not surprised you are burning it off.

My PERSONAL advice, is to switch to Amsoil 5-20 full syn. It has the highest burn off rate of any brand, has a better additive package, does not shear down, and I run my engines at 10k intervals with it.

With that said, this is my opinion. I know how oil threads can go, and I am not trying to start a 30 page discussion on oil. I've been through many of them.
Power surge, this is just what I;m looking for. Thanks for the advice.

what about regular dino oil? any recomondations?
Moonroof
Old 05-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #15
Power Surge
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Power surge, this is just what I;m looking for. Thanks for the advice.

what about regular dino oil? any recomondations?
Honestly Steve, if you run the Amsoil 5-20 at a 10k interval, it should cost about the same as 2 or 3 dino changes in that same time. Plus you're getting so much better protection for your engine. I don't have a suggestion for regular crude oil, I can't think of the last time I have even used it.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:24 PM   #16
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,771, Level 32
Points: 2,771, Level: 32 Points: 2,771, Level: 32 Points: 2,771, Level: 32
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post

Used oil analyses published at Bobistheoilguy.com show really good results for Motorcraft semi-syn and it is highly regarded on that forum. Amsoil if fine (if you can accept their ponzi-like marketing approach), but really only of benefit if you do truly extended oil change intervals. The world is full of cars that run 200,000 miles after factory-specified oil changes with ordinary, non-synthetic oils. No need to go to boutique oils like Amsoil to get really good service from your engine, just buy a name brand of the suggested viscosity and change it regularly.

Motorcraft semi-syn is highly regarded on Bobistheoilguy.com based on used oil analyses published there, so it certainly isn't junk. Amsoil if fine (if you can accept its Ponzi-like marketing approach), but is really only useful if you go to truly extended oil change intervals. The world is full of cars that go 200,000 miles following the factory maintenance schedule with regular old conventional oil. To get really good service out of an engine, there's no need to go to an expensive, boutique oil like Amsoil, just use a name brand meeting the correct specs and change it regularly.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #17
2012TI
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87295
What I Drive: 12 titanium blue candy, 2001 SVT co

FF Reputation: 1 2012TI Good Standing Member
7500 is way to long even with syn should not go any more than 5000 MAX.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:42 AM   #18
Pcovers
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97995
What I Drive: 2012, White metalic, Focus Titanic

FF Reputation: 1 Pcovers Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Most manufacturers, including Ford, consider oil consumption of up to 1 quart every 1,000 miles as "normal" (i.e. they won't repair to improve).
Where is this documented? I would love to have that reference.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #19
Power Surge
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Motorcraft semi-syn is highly regarded on Bobistheoilguy.com based on used oil analyses published there, so it certainly isn't junk. Amsoil if fine (if you can accept its Ponzi-like marketing approach), but is really only useful if you go to truly extended oil change intervals. The world is full of cars that go 200,000 miles following the factory maintenance schedule with regular old conventional oil. To get really good service out of an engine, there's no need to go to an expensive, boutique oil like Amsoil, just use a name brand meeting the correct specs and change it regularly.
Like I said, not wanting to start an oil debate. People can think what they want. I have spent a lot of time on this subject and I gave my advice. Take it or leave it.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #20
Power Surge
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcovers View Post
Where is this documented? I would love to have that reference.
I used to work for Ford, and I can attest that is true. Ford considers 1 quart per 1000 miles "normal". And yes, I think that's nuts.

Bookmarks & Social Networks