Question about the 2012 focus transmission - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
LawlStudent
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99116
What I Drive: 2007, blue, Mazda 6

FF Reputation: 1 LawlStudent Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question about the 2012 focus transmission

Hey guys,

I have been looking for a new car and I think I have finally narrowed it down to the Ford Focus. I recently test drove the vehicle and I found that it was a more pleasurable experience than my current Mazda 6.

With that being said, I recently came on to this article: Article

Now, Personally, I didn't feel any type of 'hesitation' or any of the other problems others were suggesting. So, my question is: was this a problem in the past that has been remedied?

I am just worried about getting a transmission that will cause headaches for stop-n-go driving and feel very jerky. Like I said, the 2012 hatchback I drove today didn't seem to exhibit any of these problems, but I was wondering how widespread the issue (if there is any) was.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 05:51 AM   #2
DEREKC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82958
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 DEREKC Good Standing Member
If you only read certain articles the problem may seem widespread, but I would say that it is not. I pre-ordered my Ti and have had it for more than a year now, and have never really had any problems. The updates that are now available for the Focus seem to clear up any transmission issue that people were concerned about. The Focus is a quality European designed car! I hope that you enjoy yours!!
Old 05-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
jjones6116
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98779
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 jjones6116 Good Standing Member
Easy fix... Get a manual
Old 05-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEREKC View Post
If you only read certain articles the problem may seem widespread, but I would say that it is not. I pre-ordered my Ti and have had it for more than a year now, and have never really had any problems. The updates that are now available for the Focus seem to clear up any transmission issue that people were concerned about. The Focus is a quality European designed car! I hope that you enjoy yours!!

Posted via FF Mobile Agreed, a lot of the complaints were also just the fact that people werent used to this type of transmission. The powershift auto is a dual clutch automatic, like VWs DSG, so it doesnt have the same set up as a traditional automatic transmission. Itll behave more like a manual with an automatic option. So people were used to their slushbox smooth autos, thats why their were many complaints. Misunderstanding of the tech really. It wasnt thatthese things were braking down on the side of the road and leaving people stranded. Ford has since made updates to the transmissions. If you were fine with how the transmission behaved, no reason not to buy it.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawlStudent View Post
Hey guys,

I have been looking for a new car and I think I have finally narrowed it down to the Ford Focus. I recently test drove the vehicle and I found that it was a more pleasurable experience than my current Mazda 6.

With that being said, I recently came on to this article: Article

Now, Personally, I didn't feel any type of 'hesitation' or any of the other problems others were suggesting. So, my question is: was this a problem in the past that has been remedied?

I am just worried about getting a transmission that will cause headaches for stop-n-go driving and feel very jerky. Like I said, the 2012 hatchback I drove today didn't seem to exhibit any of these problems, but I was wondering how widespread the issue (if there is any) was.

Thanks!
There is a ton of productive/constructive discussion at this website on 4-5 threads. You can find them all by doing a board search for 2012 focus transmission.
Long story short many people have no problem or what could be considered "normal" for dual clutch transmissions-a slight unobtrusive shudder-hesitation on low speed startups.
maybe 10% of owners have a pronounced stumble-hesitation-clatter on startup, enough for passengers to ask what is that?
a very small percentage of owners have described a dangerous bog down/stumble on the highway or off.
fixes ranges from two TSB's and a recall issued by ford to removing the transmission and replacing the throwout bearing, sell and/or clutches.
people who have had this done report the problem is GONE.
when you remember that many dealers and ford customer svc have said the problem is normal, you need to ask yourself how could the problem be gone, if it was normal.

Last edited by mr_cassandra; 12-06-2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar
Old 12-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
2012sel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84814
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL 5 door

FF Reputation: 10 2012sel Great Standing Member
Stop and go traffic won't be a problem.

All 3 Foci with DCTs that I have personal experience with work great. I doubt that we're just lucky, I'd say the ones on this forum with DCT problems are unlucky.

Bought mine April 2011 - No problems
Nephew bought his April 2012 - No problems
Best Friend bought his July 2012 - No problems
2000 F150 Sport 2000-2011 | 1988 Ranger XLT 4wd 1988 - 2000 | 1966 Mustang 1983 - 2008 | 1963 Ford Econoline Van 1979 - 1983
Old 12-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012sel View Post
Stop and go traffic won't be a problem.

All 3 Foci with DCTs that I have personal experience with work great. I doubt that we're just lucky, I'd say the ones on this forum with DCT problems are unlucky.

Bought mine April 2011 - No problems
Nephew bought his April 2012 - No problems
Best Friend bought his July 2012 - No problems
I don't think it affects the majority but Ford has issued two TSB's and one recall for this type problem, which makes me think affects enough owners to matter.

Glad for you guys though.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
Focus_2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104297
What I Drive: 2012 White SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Focus_2012 Good Standing Member
From what I've experienced and I've drove quite a few as I get my hands on all our cars at some point at the dealership and I have yet to experience one that has the problems mentioned.

But I've noticed people mention about the transmission updates would it benefit my vehicle in any way or is it just for the ones experiencing the hesitation and stuttering problem?
Old 12-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #9
onestout
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103860
What I Drive: 2013 black SFE

FF Reputation: 1 onestout Good Standing Member
I have a 2013 and there haven't been any updates needed and I haven't had any issues, I'll be hitting 10K tomorrow.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

I was under the impression that is was an improvement to existing programming but if yours is running fine, not sure I'd recommend changing anything.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->