2012 5-Door tail lamp scratching body - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #21
Tonybaloney
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87335
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Metallic Hatch Sel

FF Reputation: 1 Tonybaloney Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Mine is not rubbing however it is damn near impossible to get the side hooks for a Thule bike rack into the gap on the left side. The right has almost too much room. Debating taking them out to inspect... thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #22
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernl View Post
Procedure is in the manual with pics...check the section for replacing rear bulbs

Thanks, found it. Looks pretty simple so if Ford doesn't come up with a fix soon I'll just plan on doing something myself...

Brian
Old 05-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #23
silenthill
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85671
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL hatch

FF Reputation: 2 silenthill Good Standing Member
I'm still waiting on the dealer. Normally, I'd take care of something like this myself, but since there's the potential for corrosion issues down the road, I wanted the dealer to document and take a look.

Again, for me, what started this all is that I had a squeak coming from the right rear of the car---but only on hot days and when I was at highway speeds. A friend and I discovered that if you pushed on the tail lamp housing, it'd make the squeak, and then we saw how it was touching the body of the car.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #24
jerry1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94735
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti w/ MT & Alloy Wheels

FF Reputation: 1 jerry1 Good Standing Member
I checked mine. The lack of uniform spacing around those areas is something I might expect from a 1987 Hundai. My tight gaps (there are a few) are mostly on the drivers side. I can't slide a sheet of paper between the light and the car. I don't see any chipping yet but only have 1300 miles on the car.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #25
MKorn
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97610
What I Drive: 2012, SE, Sport, 5MT, Hatch -Silver

FF Reputation: 1 MKorn Good Standing Member
I removed my driver tail light and sanded the edge that was to tight ... i have about 1/16 clearance now. No more rubbing and it fits nice.
It was starting to rub the paint off. took me all of 5 minutes.

Now if i can just find the squeak in the B-pillar. :-)
Old 05-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #26
silenthill
Focus Enthusiast

Received my car from the dealer yesterday--it was there nearly two days while service coordinated with the body shop as well as the customer service rep that was assigned through contact with Noemi (thanks Noemi!) As I've said, I've had no complaints with service at this dealer; they are always courteous and helpful.

It turns out that there is an adjustment of some sort of pin on the tail lamp assembly, but I gather it's not documented or isn't documented well. They touched up the paint and adjusted this pin, so the assembly is no longer touching the paint nor is it squeaking.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #27
MKorn
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97610
What I Drive: 2012, SE, Sport, 5MT, Hatch -Silver

FF Reputation: 1 MKorn Good Standing Member
i did see the pin ... only adjustment i could imagine would be to unscrew it. But that would only make the lamp sit proud of the quarter panel.
i looked to see if it could be adjusted up and down and didnt see any.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #28
jerry1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94735
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti w/ MT & Alloy Wheels

FF Reputation: 1 jerry1 Good Standing Member
When I got time, I was thinking of sanding. Glad to hear it helped.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #29
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
...Unless Ford releases a TSB for this soon I'm just going to proactively pull the lights and put some rubbery gasket like material on the back to PREVENT the damage many have spoken of...
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
Thanks, found it. Looks pretty simple so if Ford doesn't come up with a fix soon I'll just plan on doing something myself...
Hey raptor1956,

Glad to see youíre a handy mechanic. However, may I suggest a visit to the local Ford dealer to have the tail lamp examined? At the same time, letís have the Customer Service Manager for your area review the issue. Shoot me a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN to begin the escalation process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKorn View Post
I removed my driver tail light and sanded the edge that was to tight ...It was starting to rub the paint off. took me all of 5 minutes.Now if i can just find the squeak in the B-pillar. :-)
Hey MKorn,

The B-pillar squeak may be a mouse; give it some cheese to appease it!
I received your PM with the decision you made. If assistance is required in the future, give me a shout out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthill View Post
Received my car from the dealer yesterday--it was there nearly two days while service coordinated with the body shop as well as the customer service rep that was assigned through contact with Noemi (thanks Noemi!) As I've said, I've had no complaints with service at this dealer; they are always courteous and helpful...They touched up the paint and adjusted this pin, so the assembly is no longer touching the paint nor is it squeaking.
Afternoon silenthill,

You are ever so welcome!

Happy to know your Focus is looking beautiful. Don't hesitate to contact me if I can assist any further

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry1 View Post
When I got time, I was thinking of sanding. Glad to hear it helped.
jerry1,

Time is so precious; I know a visit to the dealer may be a bit consuming, but this step will begin the process of documenting the tail lamp issue. Set up an appointment first chance you get. I can also arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager for your area; just shoot me a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN.

Take care!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 05-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #30
silenthill
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKorn View Post
i did see the pin ... only adjustment i could imagine would be to unscrew it. But that would only make the lamp sit proud of the quarter panel.
i looked to see if it could be adjusted up and down and didnt see any.
I got the distinct impression from the body shop guy that the way this pin is used wasn't completely obvious. Regardless, now my right "fin" is about the same distance away as the left one, and no more squeaking.

Bookmarks & Social Networks