2012 5-Door tail lamp scratching body - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #11
Burns098356GX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94777
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

Points 1,136, Level 18
Points: 1,136, Level: 18 Points: 1,136, Level: 18 Points: 1,136, Level: 18
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Burns098356GX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My moms focus had same problem. The dealership painted the area (the chipping wasn't that bad) and used something to separate the light from the body.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #12
Holden
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90783
What I Drive: 2004 SVTF

Points 251, Level 5
Points: 251, Level: 5 Points: 251, Level: 5 Points: 251, Level: 5
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Holden Good Standing Member
Wonderful. There's always some detail someone neglected to sweat...

I would be SO ticked off if I had a 2012 and were dealing with this.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #13
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Points 4,172, Level 41
Points: 4,172, Level: 41 Points: 4,172, Level: 41 Points: 4,172, Level: 41
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
How easy is it to remove the light assembly? I'm thinking there needs to be some padding between the light assembly and the car body/paint. The padding would not need to be thick but should be somewhat rubbery to permit a bit of flexing. Perhaps a bead of rubber gasket material about 1/32 inch think and 1/4 inch wide.

Brian
Old 05-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #14
MKorn
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97610
What I Drive: 2012, SE, Sport, 5MT, Hatch -Silver

FF Reputation: 1 MKorn Good Standing Member
My pass side has a small gap ... but the drivers side is tight and touching.
if i push on the light at all it squeaks.

Might have to pull it apart to adjust it before the paint chips
Old 05-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #15
VelociRacer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97968
What I Drive: 12 BlueC SE Sport 5DR+5SP+201A+Wntr

FF Reputation: 1 VelociRacer Good Standing Member
Like most people here, my passenger tail light housing is too tight against the body. Driver side is looser and maintains a gap.

I fashioned a slither of rubber about 1/8" thick and slid it under the light. Mine is actually rubbing where it meets the gas cover, not that far forward as in the picture above. So it was easy to shove the grommet under the light when you open the gas door.

OP, thanks for bringing this up. I did this at 1,400 miles and would have looked terrible a year from now.

Last edited by VelociRacer; 05-15-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #16
silenthill
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85671
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL hatch

FF Reputation: 2 silenthill Good Standing Member
My car's at the dealer. I told my service advisor that I'd posted on a site about this and other people noticed the same problem on their cars.

I've actually had the paint chipping problem for sometime. Originally, I had the right tail lamp replaced because not only was it scratching the paint, but I'd get a squeak when driving on the highway when it was hot outside. Once it started getting hot again, the new tail lamp started squeaking, although not as bad as the original. However, it's chipping the paint again.

I've got faith that the dealer and/or Ford will figure something out, probably along the lines of the solutions that have been posted. First model year quirks :-)
Old 05-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #17
Meathead
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97158
What I Drive: 2012 SE 5 speed w/ Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 Meathead Good Standing Member
Funny, after I reinstalled my tails after Nite-shading them, I noticed the gap, and thought I installed the lights wrong. I am going to check mine when I leave work today, make sure the gap is still there. I spent 3 hours washing and waxing on Saturday, and I notice EVERY imperfection, and didnt notice any chipping so I am sure I am ok.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #18
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,295, Level 35
Points: 3,295, Level: 35 Points: 3,295, Level: 35 Points: 3,295, Level: 35
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocysp View Post
That's amazing. I have the same exact problem....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKorn View Post
My pass side has a small gap ... but the drivers side is tight and touching.if i push on the light at all it squeaks.
Might have to pull it apart to adjust it before the paint chips
Hey Ocysp & MKorn,

If you’ve not done so, give the local Ford dealer a visit, and have them repair the fixture. I can also arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager for your area. In order to do so, please PM me with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN to begin the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthill View Post
...I did send Noemi a message on here as she requested, maybe you should too?
Quote:
I'll report back what I hear from the dealer tomorrow. I've had great service experiences with them so far.
Noemi, when you start to seeing a trending issue on the forums, do you get to report things directly to the product groups? I've always been curious if links to threads on Focus Fanatics ever make it back to the Focus team.
Quote:
My car's at the dealer. I told my service advisor that I'd posted on a site about this and other people noticed the same problem on their cars...I've got faith that the dealer and/or Ford will figure something out, probably along the lines of the solutions that have been posted. First model year quirks :-)
Hi silenthill,

I received your PM, and will be escalating the concern some time tomorrow. In the meantime, continue working with the local Ford dealer. I’m sure they’ll have your Focus repaired in no time.

By providing the requested information, I’m able to escalate the concern via internal resources accessed by Ford engineers. This allows them to see trending issues, and in turn prompt steps to repair the area of concern at the local Ford dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdiv View Post
Went and checked mine, and while it's not as bad as the ones posted it's still a noticeable chip. Another thing to bring up next time I'm in for work...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pozi240 View Post
Went out and checked mine....same thing! The left side is fine and has a small gap, the right side is very tight against the body and rubs the paint...
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelociRacer View Post
Like most people here, my passenger tail light housing is too tight against the body. Driver side is looser and maintains a gap....
Afternoon mcdiv, pozi240 & VelociRacer,

It's a pleasure to meet all of you!

Please make an appointment with the local Ford dealer to repair the fixture.You may also contact the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center at 1.800.565.3673, and have a representative document the concern.

Take care!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply

Last edited by FordService; 05-15-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #19
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Points 4,172, Level 41
Points: 4,172, Level: 41 Points: 4,172, Level: 41 Points: 4,172, Level: 41
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
Funny, after I reinstalled my tails after Nite-shading them, I noticed the gap, and thought I installed the lights wrong. I am going to check mine when I leave work today, make sure the gap is still there. I spent 3 hours washing and waxing on Saturday, and I notice EVERY imperfection, and didnt notice any chipping so I am sure I am ok.

Could you describe how to remove/install the tail lights? How long does it take? What tools etc.

Unless Ford releases a TSB for this soon I'm just going to proactively pull the lights and put some rubbery gasket like material on the back to PREVENT the damage many have spoken of.

Brian
Old 05-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #20
Vernl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92066
What I Drive: 2012 Tri white Titanium 401a

FF Reputation: 1 Vernl Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
Could you describe how to remove/install the tail lights? How long does it take? What tools etc.

Unless Ford releases a TSB for this soon I'm just going to proactively pull the lights and put some rubbery gasket like material on the back to PREVENT the damage many have spoken of.

Brian
Procedure is in the manual with pics...check the section for replacing rear bulbs

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.