anyone using premium gas ? - Page 20 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #191
mienna
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97843
Location: Longview, TX
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver Focus ST2

Posts: 15
FF Reputation: 2 mienna Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC17 View Post
This is really a great thread. Everyone has an opinion, no one has real facts. How about we all just do what makes us happy with our gas purchases, and move on to the next topic?? 8< ))
+1 to this post.
mienna is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #192
Power Surge
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2008
Fan#: 55878
Location: Palm Coast, FL, FL
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE 5-door

Posts: 333
FF Reputation: 1 Power Surge Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC17 View Post
This is really a great thread. Everyone has an opinion, no one has real facts. How about we all just do what makes us happy with our gas purchases, and move on to the next topic?? 8< ))
I'm good with that :)
__________________
Sal
2012 Race Red 5-door SE, 18" Ti wheels, Ti headlights/fog bezels, 20% tint, debadged trunk
2002 Sonic Blue SVT - supercharged (sold)
2008 Vista Blue SE (gone)
Power Surge is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #193
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88299
Location: Torrance, CA
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Posts: 2,878
FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC17 View Post
This is really a great thread. Everyone has an opinion, no one has real facts.

1) The Focus PCM can determine the octane of the fuel (not in an absolute sense, but in a relative sense). Anyone with an IDS can monitor the PID Learned Relative Octane Adjustment. With Chevron 91, this number will usually max. out (max. value is 100). With Shell 91, it usually stays in the high 80's or low 90's (and will rarely hit 100). With lower octane fuels, this number will go down accordingly.

2) Getting back to the argument as to whether or not premium fuel will provide better performance in an engine that is specified to run on regular:

2013 Mustang GT (5.0L Ti-VCT V-8 engine)
Recommended fuel: unleaded regular
HP: regular fuel: 402 @ 6,500, premium fuel: 420 @ 6,500
Kabigon is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:19 AM   #194
raptor1956
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97725
Location: Taylorsville, UT
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Posts: 1,176
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
1) The Focus PCM can determine the octane of the fuel (not in an absolute sense, but in a relative sense). Anyone with an IDS can monitor the PID Learned Relative Octane Adjustment. With Chevron 91, this number will usually max. out (max. value is 100). With Shell 91, it usually stays in the high 80's or low 90's (and will rarely hit 100). With lower octane fuels, this number will go down accordingly.

2) Getting back to the argument as to whether or not premium fuel will provide better performance in an engine that is specified to run on regular:

2013 Mustang GT (5.0L Ti-VCT V-8 engine)
Recommended fuel: unleaded regular
HP: regular fuel: 402 @ 6,500, premium fuel: 420 @ 6,500
What's the compression ratio of this car? That's a pretty decent HP number from a normally aspirated 5.0L engine -- over 80HP/L


Brian
raptor1956 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #195
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
 
Sonic_HedgeHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Fan#: 50003
Location: Albuquerque, NM
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

Posts: 13,485
FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
what's the compression ratio of this car? That's a pretty decent hp number from a normally aspirated 5.0l engine -- over 80hp/l


brian
12:1 Focus
11:1 Mustang
__________________
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Sonic_HedgeHog is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #196
cessna1
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97921
Location: Paullina, IA
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Sedan

Posts: 153
FF Reputation: 1 cessna1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
And the MPG ratings for using E85 are WAY lower than regular gas, so again, no benefit of higher octane.
The ~ 105 octane of E85 is the reason it gets better mileage than what the btu content would suggest. I'm getting in the 33's on E85 and bet 38 would tops for gas the way I've been driving. Haven't hit 1000 miles yet on the odometer. This new Focus and the Buick turbo Regal are the only two cars made that do justice to E85.
cessna1 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #197
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend
 
TboneZX3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90494
Location: Jackson, MO
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Posts: 2,179
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2300 View Post
Yea I am well aware of that. Im saying just because it can take 93 doesn't make it a FFV
Right, and I'm saying that I never stated that it did, but for some reason you quoted me.

I said that it wouldn't be an FFV if it couldn't make use of higher octanes. I didn't say that it is an FFV because it can make use of higher octanes.
__________________
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
TboneZX3 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #198
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict
 
MyThIc3LiTe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95163
Location: Edmonton, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

Posts: 782
FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sweet jesus I've never seen so much butthurt especially from people who somehow have it in their minds on how to tell others how to spend their money

High octanes will help VVT-DI engines. That is just fact.

Will you notice mileage/performance increases? You might, you might not. Depends on how hard/effienct you drive your car to begin with.

Let people who want 91 or higher (like me) spend our money and continue with what works well. Why get so mad about it.

Until someone takes 2 Focii, one on regular and one on premium for a few thousand miles and gets hard numbers we only have personal subjective opinions to go off of.

No need to piss on each other about it.

The Focus is a 12:1 compression engine. Simple 'how do engines work' knowledge would tell me that a higher compression engine can benefit from better fuel.
__________________
2012 Ford Focus Titanium Blue Candy Hatch 2009 Suzuki Swift+ - Traded in 2006 Lincoln Zephyr - Traded in

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
MyThIc3LiTe is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #199
PratoN
Focus Fanatic
 
PratoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88058
Location: Milwaukee, WI
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Posts: 3,713
FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
Sweet jesus I've never seen so much butthurt especially from people who somehow have it in their minds on how to tell others how to spend their money
Preach it!

But seriously, if someone is going to tell us how to spend our money (and no one on FF should), there are much more irresponsible things we could be doing with our money. Moreover, if I use premium (and I have been doing my own testing with mixed results based more on brand/location than octane) and I consistently get better gas mileage with my hand calculations. Well, then they're wrong and I'm saving money.
PratoN is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #200
mienna
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97843
Location: Longview, TX
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver Focus ST2

Posts: 15
FF Reputation: 2 mienna Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Preach it!

But seriously, if someone is going to tell us how to spend our money (and no one on FF should), there are much more irresponsible things we could be doing with our money. Moreover, if I use premium (and I have been doing my own testing with mixed results based more on brand/location than octane) and I consistently get better gas mileage with my hand calculations. Well, then you're wrong and I'm saving money.
Far be it from me to tell you how to spend your money, find what works for you and go with that.

However, some people in this thread have been inflammatory and rude without providing ANY data to back up their attitude. Those people need to calm down. Their "it's just a fact" statements are not facts. Their anecdotal evidence is not evidence.
mienna is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.