new TSB 12-5-5 for manual trans focii - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
Rat Fink
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92487
What I Drive: Ford, and vintage Dodge

FF Reputation: 6 Rat Fink Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
new TSB 12-5-5 for manual trans focii

I'm going to be doing this update to mine tomorrow as I've noticed a few of the quirks this one is supposed to correct. Cheers

2.0L GDI AND MANUAL TRANSMISSION - CALIBRATION UPDATE - VARIOUS DRIVABILITY IMPROVEMENTS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 2/29/2012

Publication Date: May 8, 2012

FORD: 2012 Focus

This article supersedes TSB 12-1-4 to update the Title, Issue Statement and Service Procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2012 Focus vehicles equipped with a 2.0L gasoline direct injection (GDI) engine, manual transmission and built on or before 2/29/2012 may exhibit diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) U0422, P00D2, P068A, P0850, P2610, P2832, P286F, P2877, P00C6, P0607, P0457 and/or P06B8 and may be accompanied by engine drivability concerns. Refer to the calibration content for additional calibration details.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 78.02 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2012.3 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
Reset the Oil Minder, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 413-01.
Previously Released Calibration Content

Previously released calibration content contained improvement actions and enhancements to address the following on vehicles equipped with a manual transmission:

Intermittent vehicle speed control inoperative.
Engine no-start with engine coolant temperature (ECT) open circuit faults.
Intermittent no-crank/no-start condition after performing normal Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) pinpoint test (PPT) procedures.
Intermittent false initialization to 21 C (70 F) on the instrument cluster's ambient temperature display upon engine start up.
A/C performance at idle and high engine coolant temperature readings in cold ambient temperatures below 0 C (32 F) on vehicles equipped with automatic grill shutters (AGS).
Oil change minder not lighting up in instrument panel cluster (IPC) when vehicle surpasses 10,000 miles.
Difficulty launching from a stop when not using the accelerator pedal.
Low speed tip-in/tip-out shuffle in 1st, 2nd and reverse gears
NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THE VEHICLE'S OIL MINDER HAS BEEN RESET AND TO FOLLOW THE RECOMMENDED OIL CHANGE INTERVAL AS DESCRIBED IN THE OWNERS MANUAL.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
120505A 2012 Focus 2.0L GDI And Manual Transmission: Check DTCs And Reprogram The PCM, Includes Time To Reset The Oil Change Minder (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.4 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
RECALEM 04

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #2
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
This TSB corresponds to the new FSA for automatic Focuses (new PCM calibration).
Old 05-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
This TSB corresponds to the new FSA for automatic Focuses (new PCM calibration).

Sounds like there is some overlap between the manual and automanual...

Brian
Old 05-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
Altis
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89540
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Hatch 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Altis Good Standing Member
Perhaps I'm just thick today, but why would they reset the oil reminder computer when they're just reprogramming the PCM (yet again)? They aren't putting new oil in, are they?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altis View Post
Perhaps I'm just thick today, but why would they reset the oil reminder computer when they're just reprogramming the PCM (yet again)? They aren't putting new oil in, are they?
I think that has to do with the earlier build cars where the initial programming or the previous update didn't actually enable the oil life monitor to alert the driver and the latest update is supposed to, but it needs to be reset first even though it won't coincide with an oil change as apart of the tsb, so the next service would have to be performed normally without it. Then it would need to be reset again at that time.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
Difficulty launching from a stop when not using the accelerator pedal.
Low speed tip-in/tip-out shuffle in 1st, 2nd and reverse gears
There have been a couple of threads with MTX75 owners complaining about no power when taking off from a stop. These seemed to be random occurrences, but it looks like Ford may have found a solution.

The wording is strange there... How often do you launch a manual transmission vehicle from a stop without the accelerator pedal? It's not like the Focus has gobs of low-end torque and stump-puller gears.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.

Last edited by TboneZX3; 05-14-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
Bimmer-Bob
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98064
What I Drive: 2010 BMW 128i; 2012 Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 3 Bimmer-Bob Good Standing Member
How is this a "problem?": Difficulty launching from a stop when not using the accelerator pedal.

I would think it pretty much impossible to launch without using the throttle, lol.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
There have been a couple of threads with MTX75 owners complaining about no power when taking off from a stop.
I'm one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
How is this a "problem?": Difficulty launching from a stop when not using the accelerator pedal.

I would think it pretty much impossible to launch without using the throttle, lol.
You should be able to launch manual transmission cars without using the accelerator. That's the first thing you should learn how to do when learning to drive manual or a motorcycle so you know where the clutch engagement point is. I've also had to drive like this due to my left knee being immobilized.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 05-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
Bimmer-Bob
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98064
What I Drive: 2010 BMW 128i; 2012 Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 3 Bimmer-Bob Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
I'm one of those.

You should be able to launch manual transmission cars without using the accelerator. That's the first thing you should learn how to do when learning to drive manual or a motorcycle so you know where the clutch engagement point is. I've also had to drive like this due to my left knee being immobilized.
Uh, wrong. No throttle and the engine stalls. Pretty simple.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
DaeHanL
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90891
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 DaeHanL Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
There have been a couple of threads with MTX75 owners complaining about no power when taking off from a stop.
I'm experiencing problems launching from a complete stop as well. Are we to contact the Dealership to have these mods made, or will they contact us? The lag at launch, the rpm drop shifting between 1st and 2nd gear (can't stay in power band), and the AC sucking at idle are my only complaints about my Focus.

2012 FF5DR SE Sport, 5-Spd, and ALL the 'fixins!
-DaeHan

Bookmarks & Social Networks