DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 113 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #1121
Pendarus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94411
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium 5dr

FF Reputation: 2 Pendarus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04SVTF303 View Post
Bought my Focus last Friday. Shifts like crap, makes noise, and occasionally it has a shudder when accelerating. I have 350 miles on it. Took it back to the dealer and was told it's the way it's supposed to run. It has the current software and everything, and still drives like crap. Not too happy at all.
The best way to stop this, is to drive it like you stole it. Do a few full throttle runs and just generally flog it. Then take some time and learn it's quirks. It's not an automatic, and if you expect it to act exactly like one you will be disappointed.
Build Date: 03/06/12
Delivery Date: 03/30/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #1122
Darketernal3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98631
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Darketernal3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendarus View Post
The best way to stop this, is to drive it like you stole it. Do a few full throttle runs and just generally flog it. Then take some time and learn it's quirks. It's not an automatic, and if you expect it to act exactly like one you will be disappointed.
Just got the 12b37 update for the DCT.
Don't have to floor it anymore. It shifts decently at low speeds and lower revs now.... still not perfect though.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:17 AM   #1123
Pendarus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94411
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium 5dr

FF Reputation: 2 Pendarus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darketernal3 View Post
Don't have to floor it anymore. It shifts decently at low speeds and lower revs now.... still not perfect though.
It will get better as it breaks in.
Build Date: 03/06/12
Delivery Date: 03/30/12
Old 05-12-2012, 03:45 AM   #1124
blackraven456
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88061
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 blackraven456 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendarus View Post
^^ This. Come back in a month and tell us how it is. For me it took about 2 weeks to iron out.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #1125
Richs10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95786
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Richs10 Good Standing Member
12B37 Update May Affect The A/C.

I took my 1/31/2012 build Titanium in for the 12B37 FSA yesterday. I wasn't having any trouble with the DCT, but thought I would get it done since I also had a speaker rattle in the rear doors. On the service receipt it says "Completed Recall 12B37 by reprograming PCM, TCM and ABS. Also did IVD calibration, 7485 12B37C reprogram PCM and TCM."

When I picked up the car, I stopped in the dealer lot to see if the speaker rattle was gone (it wasn't....ordering new door panel clips?) but I noticed the A/C was blowing hot air. I drove back into the shop, they took it in again. After about an hour, the service rep came out and showed me a communication they had received from Detroit in response to their query about my situation. Ford apparently has had reports that this FSA can cause the A/C to stop working. They recommended the tech take the car out on the road and run it at 1500 RPMs for three minutes. He did this and phoned in to the shop to say that at exactly three minutes, the A/C began blowing cold air.

It was kinda weird but fortunately, not a big problem. When you get the update, just make sure your A/C is working before you leave the dealer!

bTW, although I wasn't having any problems with the DCT before the update, it does seem a bit smoother. I've got to drive it a bit more to see if it really made a difference in my car.

Rich
Old 05-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #1126
red2009se

Fan#: 79513
What I Drive: car

FF Reputation: 1 red2009se Good Standing Member
I was able to get the FSA 12B37 done this afternoon at dealer I bought car. Took me in right away and only had to wait 45-50 mins. I was thinking I had to drop it off for a day and get a ride to work. Phew!

Drives way way better in regular street traffic. No "bucking bronco" or rumble/flutter. I went through a left turn smoothly and didnt have to floor it. And was able to back out of a parking space with light pedal pressure.

Thanks to all who posted the FSA info here!
Old 05-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #1127
danyall2010
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89399
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 danyall2010 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darketernal3 View Post
I agree, but still get some grinding. I will give the transmission more time to adapt itself. Perhaps later on, I may do the 6 full throttle starts recommended by another poster. I will not do the adaptive procedures that Ford's technicians do (i.e, shifting forward - then reverse 11 times + more) because that is not necessary.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #1128
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83605
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
OK, an update to my transmission TSB update:

Now that I've put about 500 miles on the car since the update, it seems to be doing better. I wouldnt really call it a fix at all. It's an improvement. At least, shifting between gears it more smooth. There is still clutch noise, and occasionally it is "notchy" at times, especially if you have to make a panic stop and then accelerate again, but overall it's better. It shifts more smoothly. Holds gears much longer than before and I think my fuel economy has improved slightly (maybe only 2 MPG or so, but it's better than it was). So far, I'm satisfied with the update (I won't say "pleased", though). At least the knocking noises associated with low speed crawling (like creeping forward at a light) is gone. And now when I take my foot off the brake, it doesn't seem to jolt at all like it used to, as it was moving into first to move forward.

Finally, I no longer have to tap the gas to get the car to back up. It seems to shift into reverse and move into reverse like every other car I've owned (before I"d have to hit the gas, and the car would sort of jump into reverse--sometimes scary because the car could suddenly surge in reverse for a split second with the tap of the gas to get the car to go into reverse...) Luckily this issue is gone.

Like I said, it's an improvement. There is still more room for improvement though, and hopefully Ford will continue to perfect the shift strategy programming and release future updates for these cars. But also I have to keep in mind that it may also be related to the clutches as well.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #1129
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83605
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyall2010 View Post
I agree, but still get some grinding. I will give the transmission more time to adapt itself. Perhaps later on, I may do the 6 full throttle starts recommended by another poster. I will not do the adaptive procedures that Ford's technicians do (i.e, shifting forward - then reverse 11 times + more) because that is not necessary.
Mine has about 500 miles on it from the reflash, and it still makes the clutch noise. I'm starting to think it's normal (it doesn't "grind" as much as it did pre-update). If you're worried about it, get an extended warranty for the engine.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #1130
Squirtle
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96179
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Squirtle Good Standing Member
I picked up my 09.02(Feb).2012 build SE four weeks ago with 6 miles on it. I hadn't noticed any bad shuddering that others have experienced. Currently have 1056 miles on it, 98% city, so I guess I've been lucky. This past Thursday I got the FSA 12B37, but I haven't noticed any difference. I guess that's a good thing too.

Bookmarks & Social Networks