2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 40 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-09-2012, 04:01 AM   #391
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
I'm a bit flumoxxed about all the complaints of rolling backwards. When the brake is depressed slightly, the clutch is disengaged, and on a hill it will of course roll backwards if one of two things aren't present:

1. Brake is not depressed far enough to keep the car from rolling backwards on a slight incline.

2. The incline is not steep enough for the rollback brake (hill hold feature) to engage and stay engaged for a short time when the brake is released, and forward progress is underway.

Both my '09 and '10 Foci rolled backward worse than my new SE.

I could see an odd mechanical failure creep-in, and that should be looked at pronto, but I've had no issues with scary rolling backwards incidents. You catch the rear movement (slight rear roll) with the accelerator on takeoff and all is nice. Just like driving a manual, but with no clutch pedal.

Are there really widespread mechanical failures with backward roll issues, or are most of the cases failures to properly judge what's going-on (how the DCT works?) and driving the car as it was designed?

Please add some feedback; I'm confused...really.
My experience is the same as you describe. I always depress the brake to avoid the possibility of any rollback. Works like a charm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #392
gunner3773
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 51077
What I Drive: 2006 Toreador Red zx5

FF Reputation: 1 gunner3773 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm keeping up on this thread because I really wanted to buy a new Focus. However, after continuing to read page after page of all these troubles with new Foci, I am glad I opted for a 2012 Civic. While not as flashy as a Focus, in 2500 miles, I have had 0 problems. And I suspect that the Civic will be be an extremely reliable car. I am just glad this forum exists and I was able to avoid some serious troubles. BTW, I have a 06 Focus that I don't ever recall having a warranty issue since I purchased it new.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #393
Phokus
Shiny Metal Titanium

Fan#: 60433
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium Seda

FF Reputation: 7 Phokus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrz View Post
Yep. Mine has done this too. I've NEVER owned a car in my life with an automatic transmission that would roll backwards on an incline so easily. Not safe!

I also get a little shuddering at low speeds, especially when my engine is cool. Interestingly enough, I can predict when it will happen. There are two ways I can leave my neighborhood. The first way is a relatively flat stretch of road -- no problems there.

The second way requires going up a moderate hill and then stopping at a 3-way stop sign at the top of the hill. Whenever I go that way in the morning, after stopping at the intersection, the car will shudder at low speeds (15-25 mph) for the next few minutes, and then smooths out.

I only have 600 miles on my SEL hatch, so I'll wait until ~1000 miles or so before discussing this with the dealer.
I just drove one today and it behaves just as you describe. It is a dual clutch transmission and does not behave like the old slushboxes.
It feels just like some average joe driving a manual car but you're steering it
Old 05-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #394
shudder
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97667
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 shudder Good Standing Member
I've been in my '12 Titanium now since March 18th. I came to these forums precisely because of the DCT shudder issue. I, too, took my car back to the dealership within a week of owning it where it was flashed (so there may indeed have been real trouble with mine), but the more I drive this type of tranny, the more I am turning into a believer of it, and in two very specific ways: 1] I believe the Ford DCT is helping my car reach potential MPG an auto tranny or even a manual-driven-by-a-human cannot achieve; and, 2] I believe that folks who are expecting the DCT to 'act' like an automatic need to be educated on how and why the DCT is different than manual transmissions, but also the automatic transmissions of yesteryear.

One issue I am responding to -- the rolling backwards on a hill issue, which is of concern to folks -- has been answered by r1derbike, above. This is expected, as mentioned, because of the DCT transmission, and how it behaves differently (see: Hill Assist).

I devised an obvious and simple test based on the behavior of the DCT that demonstrates in no uncertain terms how very different the DCT is from other kinds of transmissions:

1. Come to a full stop
2. Put your LEFT foot on the brake
3. Rev the engine with your RIGHT foot on the gas pedal

An automatic transmissioin will push forward against your braking because they are always in gear, but the DCT revs up like a manual because it is in fact in neutral! Term it a manual-driven-by-a-computer if you like.

Doing just this one test should demonstrate to any driver just how very different the DCT is from a manual transmission, but also how very different it is from an automatic transmission.

I think any sales person who takes a potential buyer out on a test drive of the PowerShift transmission should make sure the customer does this exact test. It was like an epiphany for me: It really does bring to light how very different this transmission is from everything else, and that it requires a new way of driving (just like automatics did when they first emerged on the scene lo those many years ago...).

- shud
Old 05-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #395
Loweman
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98857
What I Drive: 2012 red ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 Loweman Good Standing Member
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/au...pagewanted=all help me understand the transmission situation
Old 05-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #396
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
The article is nearly a year old, and Ford has addressed issues as they arise.

I had to have a DCT clutch replaced on my July build ('12), but it has been acceptable since.

Drive one or two or three now. Research later models for updated modifications.

First year builds (no matter make) have issues.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #397
DEREKC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82958
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 DEREKC Good Standing Member
Not all first year Foci have issues, as mine did not! Though I recently had the wiper recall and Steering TSB performed, and now the car drives and shifts even better than before. Since the Steering TSB has nothing to do with the transmission, I can only assume that they disconnected the battery and it reset things.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #398
Torqueluvr
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98751
What I Drive: 1995 Laser Red Mustang

FF Reputation: 1 Torqueluvr Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
I had to have a DCT clutch replaced on my July build ('12), but it has been acceptable since.
Any idea how much that would have been out of the warranty period? I had to sign off on warranty work on my Fusion and got to see what the damage would have been not in warranty.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #399
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
Torqueluvr, I have no idea what that may have cost, other than way too much. I was afraid to ask.

I got the wiper motor/flash update notice today when I took the car in for service for a trip. They said it would be fine to do when I got back, as I simply did not have time for them to do it today.

DEREKC, they are fantastic cars. Good Karma on it, for you.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #400
usinope
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98760
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Metallic Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 usinope Good Standing Member
I took my 2012 Focus SE in to the service department at my Ford Dealership a couple of days ago to address the rough idle, rough shifting and shifting noises that have been described in this thread. The service department reprogrammed the PCM and TCM ( and ABS while they were at it)to the most recent updates. I've only had my vehicle back since yesterday afternoon, but I noticed an immediate improvement. No more rough idle, shifting grind/rattle has all but disappeared. I'm hoping that with time, things will only continue to smooth out.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->