My Ford Touch Thread - Page 157 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #1561
Altis
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89540
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Hatch 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Altis Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhemti View Post
EDIT: I do wish they would be more open with us and tell us how things are going. Release dates are tough, but general information is reasonable to expect I think.
That's long been the reasonable hope and expectation... to know what the plan is.

I would be willing to completely forgive the current MFT3's design if I knew there was a more sleek design in the works within the (somewhat) near future. I have a feeling not, though, because people complained that MFT2 was too complicated for them (after they bought it) and MFT3 is partially Ford's response to that crowd. Nevermind the 90%+ that liked the design before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #1562
electech
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85620
What I Drive: '12 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 electech Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhemti View Post
They didn't start over, but they have to do a ground up repair.

Think of it like this....

Every feature is a file with some code in it. Now when Ford realize how poorly the code was in these files they had to fix it and they decided to do it in-house. Now I can only imagine with poor code came even worse code commenting.So now we have a Ford software engineer looking at crappy code with even worse comments explaining what the sections of code within each of these files does. BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! In order to avoid redundancy functions are written once in most programs and then called upon when needed. So some issues may actually be caused by one of these other functions that is called up as needed. So now the Ford software engineer fixes the function. Well that fixed one feature but another feature relied on that broken piece to function, so now it is broken. And the cycle continues and our Ford software engineer is soon found either or , and most likely .

Would a from scratch rebuild be the best path? Probably. The fatest? No.

Mistakes were certainly made, not the least of them designing the UI in Flash Lite. (Bleh.) We will see improvements though, it'll just take time. I hope 2012 owners aren't forgotten about though.

Hey, Ford reps, care to chime in?
I agree. Having spent 30 years in electronics, I know all too well the frustration of trying to figure out what in the crap is going on in software when some idiot has poorly, or worse, no comments. Then, poor programmers can do such a piss poor job of programming that it takes forever to figure out what they were thinking, assuming they were thinking at all. The trouble or limitation is the hardware and since the way to make it seem faster is to do a patch job with a rewrite, that is what Ford evidently did. We better be glad they just didn't say heck with it and do new hardware and their own programming from the ground up for the 2013 models. It will take time to have the speed everyone wants while maintaining a streamlined program that doesn't bog the system. You can create errors yourself by trying to tap onscreen buttons too quickly and trying to race at the speed of light to the next thing. I had to caution my operators many times about this, it usually caused me going to the machine and rebooting it and then explaining the way the software worked and they had to slow down. Lots of B.S called but I gave up trying to explain it. I am sure this process will continue to evolve. Do you remember how buggy Windows has been in the past? No doubt this is aggravating but give them a chance. Now, does that mean they could do better at saying the problems and fixes upfront, ABSOLUTELY. But, some corporate lawyer type is sitting around with his or her sphincter puckering up at the mere thought of any mention of any sort that could possibly be construed as "at fault". It depends on your definition of "is"!!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #1563
boilersox
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96712
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 boilersox Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altis View Post
"Software without bugs does not exist", sure. But MFT glitches on many of its functions on a daily basis. I've driven those Chrysler/Dodge vehicles for months now, and they have never once missed a beat, or even taken longer than 0.5 seconds to respond.

MFT wasn't a cluster#$% before, I don't think. MFT3 has tons of empty, unused screen space. It wouldn't be so bad to show the full RDS data in the huge empty space that is FM, would it? Or to show the phone's battery life in the yellow bar?
I guess it would be cool to have the battery life there, but certainly not necessary. Really, how often do you need to check your battery life that you need to see it all the time? If it's draining that fast, perhaps a new phone would be a better investment.

I do not want to see the screen cluttered up like the old version. Too many little things make it too busy. Not to mention, they cause unnecessary distractions to drivers.

Quote:
As for "UI experts", the closest I know are a couple recent Graphic Design and Computer Science grads. They don't see MFT3 as any sort of improvement, but rather a sneaky way to improve performance by getting rid of complex graphics. There's no excuse for the grey block on the Inputs panel that's empty when you scroll down to page 2 (which you now have to for BT Audio, because AM gets its own block). There's no reason for the incredibly huge pause/seek buttons in BT audio.
I work with people everyday with CS degrees, I'm one of them. I see plenty of people that have TERRIBLE taste in UI design. There's a reason we're behind the scenes. I know graphic designers who are amazing that could not design an intuitive UI if their life depended on it. I'm far from an expert, but I can certainly see v3 easily trumps v2.

And I highly doubt removing some graphics (complex??) attributed to the improved performance. Much more likely they did as they said: they rebuilt it.

Quote:
There's also no reason I can think of to reduce the vibrance of the colours. I can't fathom how that would have been an issue to anyone, so why make it appear more grey rather than colourful?
Actually, the first thing I thought of when I saw that Chrysler interface was: could they make it look more bland? Even if there are just colors in the four quadrants on MFT, it brightens it up a lot more than the Chrysler one. Maybe it's just the video.

Quote:
I'm not saying they should make it look as complex as the Chrysler system... which really isn't that difficult to use. But they made it way too simple, to the point where it still looks like a project, a work in progress. Too many blocks with no polish. Too much empty space. There's no point in having such a big screen if most of it is completely empty.
It's not necessarily that it would be difficult to use, i.e. finding stuff. However, while driving, I don't think it would be the best to use. I can change the screen on MFT without even looking. I know that all I have to do is hit a corner. I would love to see you guess where the navigation is on this Chrysler interface.

Quote:
And again, why not make the handicap accessibility sized icons and fonts an option? (For those who bought something then decided it's too complicated). Everyone keeps trying to slam those who don't like the new MFT design, but we bought something and then it was changed on us. How about those people who bought it and complained to Ford that it's too complicated?
Once again, this wasn't a dumbing down, it cleaned up the screen. I fail to see how you could say it's any less complicated. It's the same interface, just looks 100 times better without all the clutter.

And herein lies the problem: no one can accept change. Let's ignore the fact that the screen is no longer cluttered and just complain because it doesn't look exactly the same.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #1564
nhemti
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96686
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium - TMB

FF Reputation: 1 nhemti Good Standing Member
Look what I found...

Freescale i.MX51 SOC:
Core CPU: ARM Cortex A8 @ 600 mHz
2D/3D graphics controller
512MB RAM
2GB NAND flash memory

I wonder if this is the current iteration of hardware in the 2012s. If so that is just painful. Essentially 3 year old tech in a brand new vehicle. Shouldn't we be using Cortex A9 based stuff by now?

Tegra3 or OMAP5 is where Ford needs to look. I would even be willing to pay some money for an upgraded MFT hardware/software bundle in the future. Nothing astronomical mind you but $200-$300 would be reasonable. It would be akin to upgrading your smartphone every few years.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #1565
electech
Focus Enthusiast

Yikes, no wonder they were looking for speed improvements!! With that, poor programming wouldn't be tolerated, hence the crashes! We always operated under the 65% rule, no more than that for the CPU duty cycle at full load. That left enough headroom to handle temporary problem areas without going belly up. I'll bet that system is running closer to 90% duty cycle.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #1566
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilersox View Post
And herein lies the problem: no one can accept change.
Oh, thank goodness someone finally got to the heart of the issue (what an arrogant statement to make). Change constantly occurs in life but that doesn't always mean it is good. Change can be for the better sometimes and for the worse sometimes. There are several posters on here, myself included, that think this change is for the worse. Way to trivialize the opinions of everyone who feels likewise with such a ridiculous statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilersox View Post
Let's ignore the fact that the screen is no longer cluttered and just complain because it doesn't look exactly the same.
I personally find the 4-quad screen (in its current iteration and in its previous as well) cluttered. I used to have the ability to set a subtle wallpaper and have some basic information discreetly displayed in the 4 corner tabs. In my opinion this was far less cluttered than the screen I have been forced into using.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #1567
nhemti
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by electech View Post
Yikes, no wonder they were looking for speed improvements!! With that, poor programming wouldn't be tolerated, hence the crashes! We always operated under the 65% rule, no more than that for the CPU duty cycle at full load. That left enough headroom to handle temporary problem areas without going belly up. I'll bet that system is running closer to 90% duty cycle.
The specs are only 256MB more memory than regular SYNC without MFT. The processor is more powerful, not sure exactly what is in SYNC but it is ARM-based running at 400MHz.

The current hardware is obviously a bit substandard considering my original Droid was equivalent 3 years ago.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #1568
electech
Focus Enthusiast

I don't think the regular, non touch screen would still have the graphics processor. With that, one would think it should work fine.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #1569
nhemti
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by electech View Post
I don't think the regular, non touch screen would still have the graphics processor. With that, one would think it should work fine.
You'd think, except that they are using Flash Lite which is atrocious and uses "vector graphics." Vector graphics can also be known as "Need moar megahertz graphics." The old GPU attached to the Cortex A8s wasn't to great either.

http://cache.freescale.com/files/dsp...t/IMX51AEC.pdf

That is the data sheet for the processor used in MFT I believe. While the GPU is designed for 2D vector graphics, the performance isn't exactly stellar either.

Edit: This is where Ford is most certainly headed for future hardware improvements. http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...e=IMX6X_SERIES
Old 05-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #1570
Kaaru
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96763
What I Drive: '12 Oxford Wh. SEL Sedan 28/07/2011

FF Reputation: 1 Kaaru Good Standing Member
I Dunno if this the right place to say this, but I had another bug/quirk with MFT this morning...or was it the radio...anyways: I was not able to turn the radio ''On'' using the MFT or the dash mounted on/off button...was only able to turn radio on using voice commands.

I did a search using the keyword ''radio'' and it came up with 50 plus pages...So, I'm posting this here. I have done ther V3.0 update myself a couple weeks ago and all was fine, beside the auto climate settings changing by themself a couple times a week and now the radio freeze...

Bookmarks & Social Networks