TSB 12-02-17 - Steering issue - New TSB? - Page 12 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #111
ccelaya
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92465
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey - Focus HB Sport

FF Reputation: 1 ccelaya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
Finally got my car back today. So including the near full day it took for them to say they had to order parts that started this all, I was without a car for 11 days. The car now drives worse than it did before and is making a number of noises that it definitely didn't previously (rough startup, some sort of crunching sound on some turns, and what sounds like plastic clacking against something while idle). My steering wheel column cover (I guess that's what it is, whatever plastic piece is that connects near where the key goes) wasn't attached fully (I was able to mostly fix this, but it is definitely not on all the way).

I was informed that Ford would be releasing a (new/updated?) TSB specifically addressing the issues the dealership had with my car, but we'll see how true that is. I can't even say for certain what all they did to my car as I wasn't provided with any paperwork, they said it would be mailed to me at a later date.

When I go to another dealership for the windshield wiper recall, I will ask them about the issues I am now having, assuming they still exist. I'm going to try to do the drive cycle to see if that doesn't help anything.
I got my steering wheel column cover replaced under warranty after my DCT flash. The plastic clips that keep them attached are made of a very cheap/weak material that breaks easily. Have them replaced at no cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #112
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hello everyone,

Well, it's been a while since I've been on this thread. Sorry about that!

For U.S residents having concerns with the steering, especially you forceflow2, please PM your VIN, phone number, mileage, and dealer information so I can get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Now, our Canadian friends may call the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center at 1.800.565.3673 in order to have a representative document and assist with this concern.

Thanks,

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 04-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #113
dcinnc
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96223
What I Drive: 2012 Sedan SEL Platinum White

FF Reputation: 1 dcinnc Good Standing Member
My wife picked up our Focus today and steering and reflash on the tranny (2nd time) was done. Wife says the steering feels tighter, just in town driving...
Old 04-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #114
Pretherius
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97062
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan 5-Spd Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 Pretherius Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank View Post
This is by far the smallest car I've ever owned so I was considering maybe a smaller car just has more difficulty in the wind.
Same. This car is brutal in crosswinds.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #115
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretherius View Post
Same. This car is brutal in crosswinds.
I almost thought I needed to have this TSB applied until I realized that it was only horrible to drive on (cross) windy days. At least I'm not the only one...
Old 04-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #116
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89089
What I Drive: 2013 Mustang GHIG V6 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 forceflow2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccelaya View Post
I got my steering wheel column cover replaced under warranty after my DCT flash. The plastic clips that keep them attached are made of a very cheap/weak material that breaks easily. Have them replaced at no cost.
That explains why it won't reattach fully. 2 hours after I picked it up, I dropped it off again because I noticed that on startup, along with the rough start, there was a very distinct clunk sound that shook the car a bit (probably related, if not the cause). I told them about the steering wheel cover thing as well. When they heard it, they took it back into the shop and made sure everything on top was still attached correctly and put it up to look at the bottom. After an hour when they realized it wasn't something they stupidly forgot, they called Enterprise to come pick me up and get me a new car. Got a 2011 Dodge Avenger this time. It's uncomfortable, feels mostly cheap inside, and sounds like someone stuck a fork in a garbage disposal every time I accelerate. If you're looking to get something besides the 2012 Focus, I would heartily not recommend an Avenger. The one advantage it has over the Focus is that the cupholders are actually sane and can hold a drink that's not ridiculously large without falling over. (The A/C is pretty decent too, but I figure most would be when it's on all the way)

Quote:
For U.S residents having concerns with the steering, especially you forceflow2, please PM your VIN, phone number, mileage, and dealer information so I can get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area.
Don't really know how much that'll do. It's not like they aren't working on it (aside from the days they were waiting for parts), the car is just being a pain. If you think it'll help out, I guess I could, but I mean actual help and not someone else yelling at the dealership and assuring me that it's being worked on. That's not help, that's lip service.
Reacquired by Ford under Lemon Law 01/16/13.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #117
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87186
What I Drive: 1985 Moto Guzzi T5 850 NT

FF Reputation: 1 Eurofordfan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hello everyone,

Well, it's been a while since I've been on this thread. Sorry about that!

Now, our Canadian friends may call the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center at 1.800.565.3673 in order to have a representative document and assist with this concern.

Thanks,

Noemi
Noemi,

Can you please indicate whether the TSB related to this on-centre steering issue is in force in Canada? I am quite certain that the steering on the Canada-bound cars is identical to those on the US-bound cars and so I would like to think that the same fix, for those experiencing issues, is available in Canada.

Thx,

Eurofordfan - Vancouver, BC
Old 04-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #118
dcinnc
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96223
What I Drive: 2012 Sedan SEL Platinum White

FF Reputation: 1 dcinnc Good Standing Member
Took a 120 mile trip today with the new steering rack installed, so far the wondering feels better, but only ran in 65 mph speed with black topped roads. Will try it out on cement interstates later on..
Old 05-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #119
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89089
What I Drive: 2013 Mustang GHIG V6 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 forceflow2 Good Standing Member
(Final?) Update, although this thread seems to have fallen by the wayside. I finally received my actual work invoice today, because apparently it was "misplaced by the post office" or some such. I had to call and tell them they never actually sent it to me to make them do it. I don't doubt it's possible it was lost in the mail, but taking into account the level of service I have received it seems far more likely they just never sent it. Dates on the invoice show a start date of 27 March, 2012 (although I originally dropped it off on the 23rd, which is the day they stated they had to order parts) and end date of 17 April, 2012. (so from original dropoff to receiving paperwork was 23 March to 02 May.)

So a job that should have taken a maximum of 1 to 2 days took 21 (at least according to my documentation, I think I actually got the car back on the 13th, no clue why they have the 17th. Either way, that's way too long and a highly unacceptable level of service.) I just wish I hadn't renewed my Sirius subscription days before I took it in, that's nearly a month of my subscription I won't get back and almost immediately afterwards I took a week-long trip to go to a wedding (flew there). Had I known it was going to take as long as it did, I most certainly would have waited to renew.
Reacquired by Ford under Lemon Law 01/16/13.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #120
DEREKC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82958
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 DEREKC Good Standing Member
I just had my Ti in for the recall, MFT update, and TSB check. They replaced the steering rack and it seems different and smoother than before. Though the invoice says nothing about the transmission, the shifting is much smoother as well!

Bookmarks & Social Networks