Ask a Salesperson pt. 2 - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Purchasing Center

Ford Focus Purchasing Center Discuss about special incentives and ordering information on the Focus & Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #11
Bimmer-Bob
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98064
What I Drive: 2010 BMW 128i; 2012 Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 3 Bimmer-Bob Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Starting to consider a Focus to replace my wife's car. Want something practical (1 kid + trying for one more) and economical, but still fun and stylish. Also leaning toward American-made this time out. I think a hatchback Focus SE with sport package and 5MT might fit the bill perfectly. But most dealers seem to only stock automatics and, in any case, I hate purchasing from dealer inventory - I'm pretty picky and when spending this much money, I want to buy exactly the car I want. I don't mind waiting for the factory to build it, of course.

Anyway, my concern is that I've heard dealers discourage this, as they prefer to sell their own inventory. My last car purchase was a BMW, and while I think they would prefer to sell inventory first, they are very open to customers ordering cars and it is in fact very, very common.

So, I guess my first question is should I expect some resistance if I approach a dealer with this? And will I lose all incentives by factory ordering? I also plan on using the USAA car buying service, and wonder if this is compatible with factory orders? Finally, might a better option be somehow searching nationwide inventory for a car spec'ed as closely as possible to what I want? The thing is, I absolutely refuse to pay a penny above normal destination charges for them to ship the car to me - for that, I'll just order the car, you know?

Anyway, thanks for any info you can provide. I'm still at the very preliminary stages of researching this possibility, but that I should get some very basic logistics sorted first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #12
Nik00117
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58749
What I Drive: 2011 Fusion SEL, 2010 Road Glide

FF Reputation: 0 Nik00117 Newbie
First Bimmer go into the dealership and see what they have. If they don't have what you want demand they order it.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #13
imccrea
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 85212
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus hatch SGM

FF Reputation: 6 imccrea Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Starting to consider a Focus to replace my wife's car. Want something practical (1 kid + trying for one more) and economical, but still fun and stylish. Also leaning toward American-made this time out. I think a hatchback Focus SE with sport package and 5MT might fit the bill perfectly. But most dealers seem to only stock automatics and, in any case, I hate purchasing from dealer inventory - I'm pretty picky and when spending this much money, I want to buy exactly the car I want. I don't mind waiting for the factory to build it, of course.

Anyway, my concern is that I've heard dealers discourage this, as they prefer to sell their own inventory. My last car purchase was a BMW, and while I think they would prefer to sell inventory first, they are very open to customers ordering cars and it is in fact very, very common.

So, I guess my first question is should I expect some resistance if I approach a dealer with this? And will I lose all incentives by factory ordering? I also plan on using the USAA car buying service, and wonder if this is compatible with factory orders? Finally, might a better option be somehow searching nationwide inventory for a car spec'ed as closely as possible to what I want? The thing is, I absolutely refuse to pay a penny above normal destination charges for them to ship the car to me - for that, I'll just order the car, you know?

Anyway, thanks for any info you can provide. I'm still at the very preliminary stages of researching this possibility, but that I should get some very basic logistics sorted first.
Most dealers charge dealer handling, hell even on A/Z/X/D plan we pay dealer handling or delivery charges on top of destination so if this is an issue for you there could be a problem buying a car in general. With regard to incentives on order you are guaranteed the greater of the incentives (at order or at delivery).
We're actually paid off of ordering cars for customers, it's a good pipeline of customers so if a dealer doesn't want to order they probably don't sell that many cars to begin with.
There is a handful of 5MT SE sport pkg vehicles out there but hard to find (I think I have 1 or 2 out of 100+).

Let me know if you have other questions.
Ira McCrea
Phone: 970-667-2220
E-mail: iram@loveford.com
Old 04-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #14
Bimmer-Bob
Focus Addict

Thanks for your input.

What I meant to say is that I don't mind paying whatever normal handling charges there are, but I wouldn't want to buy a car from a distant part of the country if it would cost any more than simply factory ordering one, if that makes sense. It does seem strange that there would be additional "handling fees" on top of destination (never paid this on other cars I've bought, both off the lot and factory ordered), but if that's normal practice with Ford then so be it. I guess the bottom line is that I don't want to be talked into buying an existing vehicle if it actually ends up costing more than a factory ordered one - but it sounds like from your comment that factory ordering is not discouraged.

Anyway, do you know when the 2013 order guides will be out? I know I have about 3 weeks left to order a 2012 if I want one, which is a bit sooner than I'd like, but I'm wondering if the SE Sport package will still be available for 2013?

Thanks again.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #15
imccrea
FF Affiliate

Quote:
Thanks for your input.

What I meant to say is that I don't mind paying whatever normal handling charges there are, but I wouldn't want to buy a car from a distant part of the country if it would cost any more than simply factory ordering one, if that makes sense. It does seem strange that there would be additional "handling fees" on top of destination (never paid this on other cars I've bought, both off the lot and factory ordered), but if that's normal practice with Ford then so be it. I guess the bottom line is that I don't want to be talked into buying an existing vehicle if it actually ends up costing more than a factory ordered one - but it sounds like from your comment that factory ordering is not discouraged.

Anyway, do you know when the 2013 order guides will be out? I know I have about 3 weeks left to order a 2012 if I want one, which is a bit sooner than I'd like, but I'm wondering if the SE Sport package will still be available for 2013?

Thanks again.
We've got info on the 13 ST currently but probably not for a few more weeks. Dealer fees vary from state to state so you'll have to check locally. With the popularity of the SE Sport pkg I think Ford would be crazy to not continue it in 13.
Ira McCrea
Old 04-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #16
Bimmer-Bob
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by imccrea View Post
We've got info on the 13 ST currently but probably not for a few more weeks. Dealer fees vary from state to state so you'll have to check locally. With the popularity of the SE Sport pkg I think Ford would be crazy to not continue it in 13.
Okay, thanks. I thought maybe they would drop it to try to push more people towards the ST, but it's probably a different demographic shopping the two cars (maybe some overlap, but still). An ST would be nice, but for my needs it would be overkill in this case.

Just curious on the ST, though - I know the MSRP isn't available yet, but do you expect it will be the priciest model in the lineup? Or might it slot in under the Titanium?
Old 04-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #17
imccrea
FF Affiliate

Quote:
Okay, thanks. I thought maybe they would drop it to try to push more people towards the ST, but it's probably a different demographic shopping the two cars (maybe some overlap, but still). An ST would be nice, but for my needs it would be overkill in this case.

Just curious on the ST, though - I know the MSRP isn't available yet, but do you expect it will be the priciest model in the lineup? Or might it slot in under the Titanium?
If I were Ford here is what I would price it at:

ST 1 pkg: $24,991 including D & D. no rebate ($23,100 for a base Titanium)
ST 2 pkg: $26,640 including D & D no rebate
ST 3 pkg: $28,790 including D & D no rebate (401a hatch with navi is approx $25,800 that has upgraded 17" wheels)

I think Ford will come in higher by $1,000 though when pricing is released..
Ira McCrea
Old 04-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #18
Bimmer-Bob
Focus Addict

Well, honestly, that pricing makes sense. With all the goodies that car is going to get - the Recaros, upgraded brakes, HID's, etc. (not to mention the EcoBoost), a fully loaded ST would still be a value if under $30k. Of course, people will complain - the same thing happened when the BMW 1M's pricing was finally released (folks had unreal expectations of "affordable" performance).

But, I already have a track toy, and the reasonable side of me says that for a family car, the SE makes much more sense. But the ST still does look nice, lol. Don't know how much Ford is planning to make, but I could see them going for above MSRP for a while, and , like you said, no incentives or rebates ever being available.

Anyway, thanks for the info. You've been very helpful. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the MY2013 order guides.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #19
Bimmer-Bob
Focus Addict

Hi, looking to order a 2012 Focus before production ends, and this is what I was hoping to get (I realize I will probably have to factory order and am willing to wait):

SE Hatchback 5MT
203A (Sync + Convenience)
Tuxedo Black
SE Sport Package
Winter Package
17" Painted Wheels
Cargo Area Protector

What can you do for price and what incentives, if any, are currently available. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #20
asting
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98342
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

Points 509, Level 10
Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Quote:
Hi, looking to order a 2012 Focus before production ends, and this is what I was hoping to get (I realize I will probably have to factory order and am willing to wait):

SE Hatchback 5MT
203A (Sync + Convenience)
Tuxedo Black
SE Sport Package
Winter Package
17" Painted Wheels
Cargo Area Protector

What can you do for price and what incentives, if any, are currently available. Thanks.
Good choice. This is kind of what I got, sans winter package and with leather interior. It's a fun car, and with those wheels it'll look sharp!
As far as rebates, I'm sure Ira can give you more info, but basic ones that are nationwide are on ford.com (which doesn't list anything for my area, but there is).
If they offer the same stuff my location does, there's a $1000 rebate, a $500 first time buyer, and a $500 student rebate.

Bookmarks & Social Networks