Daytime running lights (DRL) - Page 9 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #81
ServerTech
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91612
What I Drive: 2012 S.G. Focus Titanium Hatchback

Points 17, Level 1
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 ServerTech Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just heard back from the dealer about the work that was done on my car. Turns out the the alignment issue was actually related to that TSB which involves the steering. I didn't see that coming! I'll comment more on that on another thread...

As for the dealer's second attempt at activating the DRL - negative. It sounded like they can't because if they were to reprogram the component to make it possible, it could adversely affect the rest of the car's programming and causing unintended harm. OK...

03rubicon - While you're working on those screen shots of the IDS sequence which you had gone through, can you answer something for us? Did you have to do anything special with the IDS, some sort of hidden menu or something that wasn't recommended, in order to enable DRL? Basically, did you have to ignore any messages that IDS had spit out informing you that you can be in big trouble if you change certain options in the BCM? The reason why I'm asking is because I'm wondering if there's a fear of some sort of liability that's involved with changing certain features or options on a vehicle, specifically when done by a Ford service center. I'm probably way off base wondering about those things, but I thought I would ask anyways.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #82
03rubicon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95694
What I Drive: 12 SE Hatch, 03 Rubicon

FF Reputation: 2 03rubicon Good Standing Member
The only thing that may make them hesitant about doing that is in the shop manual it says you should only change a few of the parameters in there. DRL is not one of those the shop manual says you should change. I'm guessing they either read this and decided against changing it for you or they didn't put muh effort into it. But there was no warnings or messages on IDS when inchanged mine. Another thing I think may be throwing them off is the fact that the procedure to change the parameters in this is a lot different then anything before. It took me a few minutes to figure it out, but once I figured it out it took all of 10 minutes to change it. I have changed mine without any issues as of now, I am going to do a friend of mine's car when I get a few minutes. His is an earlier build so i want to see if it works on his before I go into depth about how to change it.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #83
blackraven456
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88061
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 blackraven456 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServerTech View Post
I'm at the dealer right now to have an alignment issue looked at, but I've also asked them to take another crack at trying to activate the DRL. The service rep seemed to be very skeptical about even trying it again. Saying things like, "a lot of those car sites have a lot of disinformation and people who aren't exactly truthful..." I don't know, I wonder if it's some sort of liability issue or something like that or some directive from Ford which causes this resistance towards activating them in the first place. We'll see, but I'm not too optimistic that they'll go the extra mile to investigate this. :rolleyes:

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using FF Mobile
Tell them to call a canadian dealer. They import us cars all the time and by law must activate drls on the car.

Sent from my Telus Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate
Old 05-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #84
ServerTech
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91612
What I Drive: 2012 S.G. Focus Titanium Hatchback

Points 17, Level 1
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 ServerTech Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03rubicon View Post
This weekend I will go through the process and take screen shots for every step. Now I just have to learn how to save screen shots

Hey there 03rubicon!

I was just wondering if there was any progress on this?

Thanks!
Russ
Old 05-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #85
Bimmer-Bob
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98064
What I Drive: 2010 BMW 128i; 2012 Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 3 Bimmer-Bob Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang74shelby View Post
Thats why in bad conditions you have HEADLIGHTS. (in Europe IE. Germany, if you don't have all your lights on in those conditions you get cited).. to me DRL's may be a good thing but if you can't see a big a55 RED SUV coming at you, then you don't need to be driving. Seems like another way to LAZY-IZE people. Just like all the Automatics in the states...another way to take the concentration of what you should be doing "DRIVING" , Sure I realize in certain situations Automatics are better, and if drag racing you can get more consistent times. I know sounds like another Knock on Auto Drivers. Nothing wrong with them, just seems like another way to make people more lazy.
1) German vehicles all have DRL's, so not sure what your point is.

2) Not everyone drives a "big a55 RED SUV," so not sure what your point is.

3) DRL's are a safety feature - it has nothing to do with being lazy or not. They are designed to increase visibility of vehicles during the day, when people wouldn't normally turn on their headlamps (also, full-power headlamps would use more energy in these situations). Sort of mystified as to why anyone would be against something as innocuous as DRL's...I mean, what's wrong with seeing and being seen?
Old 05-02-2012, 01:17 AM   #86
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Fan#: 87369
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport - 5 Speed

Points 13,809, Level 76
Points: 13,809, Level: 76 Points: 13,809, Level: 76 Points: 13,809, Level: 76
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 10 Shade-010 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post

3) DRL's are a safety feature - it has nothing to do with being lazy or not. They are designed to increase visibility of vehicles during the day, when people wouldn't normally turn on their headlamps (also, full-power headlamps would use more energy in these situations). Sort of mystified as to why anyone would be against something as innocuous as DRL's...I mean, what's wrong with seeing and being seen?
My biggest problem with them is soo many manufacturers put them in the High Beam Headlight and they like to BLIND the F'k out of people. I don't mind the new LED ones, those I am for, but putting them in the Headlights is just asinine. I do like how the tech is going all LED. As for the Huge SUV comment. There are LOADS of them with DRL's in the headlights. Motorcycles with headlights on, there is def a reason for that, I do ride and people just don't pay attn to the road. I just can't stand the low/high continuous flashing M/C lights.
http://www.rebeldevil.com
Old 06-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #87
opinionated
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93731
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 opinionated Good Standing Member
I have a 2012 Ford Focus SE 5-dr. I contacted Ford Motor Co. Customer Service and was advised that in the USA, DRL are available only on fleet supplied models as an option.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #88
Altis
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89540
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Hatch 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Altis Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang74shelby View Post
My biggest problem with them is soo many manufacturers put them in the High Beam Headlight and they like to BLIND the F'k out of people. I don't mind the new LED ones, those I am for, but putting them in the Headlights is just asinine. I do like how the tech is going all LED. As for the Huge SUV comment. There are LOADS of them with DRL's in the headlights. Motorcycles with headlights on, there is def a reason for that, I do ride and people just don't pay attn to the road. I just can't stand the low/high continuous flashing M/C lights.
Flashing running lights are a pretty bad idea, even for motorcycles.. much better off wearing a high visibility vest. One of the guys I used to ride with had a strobing tail light... it drove me mental!

As for the running lights being the high beams, it actually makes more sense... they run the high beams at a much lower power (say, around 30%)... not only does this use less power than the low beams at/near full power, but they are pointed up and ahead, so they are more noticeable even at the low power.

Another thing is that many cars have gauges that light up inside even with the headlights off... when the low beams are used for running lights, people don't realize that the corner lights and tail lights aren't on at night time.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #89
HOTFOCUS101
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96284
What I Drive: 2010 White Suede SEL focus -

FF Reputation: 1 HOTFOCUS101 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I MISS MY DLR'S NOT SURE WHY, BUT IN 'DARK' SPOTS THEY ALWAYS TURNED ON !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #90
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

Points 3,695, Level 38
Points: 3,695, Level: 38 Points: 3,695, Level: 38 Points: 3,695, Level: 38
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTFOCUS101 View Post
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I MISS MY DLR'S NOT SURE WHY, BUT IN 'DARK' SPOTS THEY ALWAYS TURNED ON !!!!!!!!!!!!
Stop shouting.

Also, you don't make much sense. My non-DRL car with AutoLamps turns it's lights on in "dark spots" too.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.