!! Steeda CAI Results Only !! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
vmaxbaby
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85914
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch, GT500, Busa, 2013 SE

FF Reputation: 2 vmaxbaby Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
!! Steeda CAI Results Only !!

Guys,

Before I order the Steeda intake would like to hear from ONLY those that have the intake. I know there is a thread about 3 miles long on the release of the intake but would like to hear from those that have it and what their findings are for real world. Do you like it? Notice better throttle response? Would you do it again?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
vmaxbaby
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85914
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch, GT500, Busa, 2013 SE

FF Reputation: 2 vmaxbaby Good Standing Member
Anyone???
Old 05-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
_RED_
Sonic's MK3 Crew #02

Fan#: 10712
What I Drive: 2014 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 2 _RED_ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I believe Duffman said that he was going to install his intake today.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDFOCZ View Post
I believe Duffman said that he was going to install his intake today.
my SRI with some sort of custom airbox(either modified stock box, or partial or full aluminum should be in this weekend as well)
Old 05-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Duffman355
Tasty Red Meat

Fan#: 31282
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE Sport 5 Spd

FF Reputation: 43 Duffman355 Great Standing Member
Unfortunately Fedex kind of sucks so I don't think my package will come till about 6:30 tonight (I originally had planned to install it sunday but there was a minor snafu). I can let you know tonight how I like it though. I already have an exhasut so my gains are going to be a bit better than if I just had the intake. In terms of sound, again since I have a loud exhasut, I won't be able to tell you about the loudness of it, just the overall tone. Since I had the STeeda intake on my last two Foci, I can already tell you Id do it again.

Actually I spoke too soon, it is holding for me. Off to go shopping, pick up my package and play with my car. I will let you know later.
ST Crew #11 / SSR #5
Official Mayo Hater #1
Randomie's Lover #8
Old 05-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
pwrov1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92333
What I Drive: F250 Diesel

FF Reputation: 1 pwrov1 Good Standing Member
Hi, I know your looking for more feedback than what I have to share but thought I'd post...might find it helpful to you/ some.

My new Focus is on order, being built 5/7/12. But I have already bought the Steeda CAI...looks great and well made. Guess what...MADE IN USA!!! Best of luck on your search:thumbup:

Old 05-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
HammerStriker
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86553
What I Drive: 2012 Ignot Silver Hatchback SEL

FF Reputation: 1 HammerStriker Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxbaby View Post
Guys,

Do you like it? Notice better throttle response? Would you do it again?
Yes, on all accounts. Best $300 I've spent on my car.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
Bwill9886
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93444
What I Drive: 2013 Rallye Red Civic Si

FF Reputation: 2 Bwill9886 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
Yes, on all accounts. Best $300 I've spent on my car.
I would agree.

While I found the amount of assembly required to be a bit over the top, it certainly looks good under the hood and there is DEFINITELY a noticeable difference in power. I'm aware the "butt-dyno" isn't the most reliable but I'm for sure feeling a difference.

Sound is a nice growl. As I've stated in another thread, it's like when you take the top off the stock airbox but at least a 1/3 less loud and definitely more refined. The only time mine sounds a little "off" is in second gear between 2500 and 3500 rpms if I'm not gunning it (sounds raspy).

I'm very much looking forward to hearing it in combination with my custom Borla exhaust this Thursday. Should be sick.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
Duffman355
Tasty Red Meat

Fan#: 31282
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE Sport 5 Spd

FF Reputation: 43 Duffman355 Great Standing Member
Ok as promised *cracks knuckles*:

Still comes in the same white Steeda box. Nice packaging as usual. Instructions were numerous but pretty simple and easy to follow. Parts were well made and all the holes lined up with the screws etc. The only thing I had to do was bore out one of the holes with my drill becasue I couldn't thread it by hand with my screw driver. It is a bit of a tight squeeze to get the completed unit inside but it not a huge deal. The hood does indeed seal with the top of the airbox as Steeda Brandon advertised (you could see a slight indentation in the soft foam of the hood from the airbox after it was closed and I drove it). Also the air filter is rather large. Install took me an hour, hour and a half. The only thing is; make sure you have one of those nice Craftsman 23 piece screwdriver with the magnetic insertable tips. You need various sized allen wrenches, a torx bit for the stock maf screws, a flat head and something else. Also don't mind the dirty steeda fuse box cover. I am still waiting on it to seal before I can give it a good wipedown.
Pic? Pic:

Also since I like Steeda, I am rocking their window decal (it came with the instructions). That has to be good for atleast 5 more horsepower.

So I suppose you want to know how it drives. As previously stated I already have the FS Werks race exhaust, so I was not expecting it to be any louder, just deeper in tone under throttle.

Startup: Sounded the same at idle. Revving it with the hood open gave some slight whooshing, which was not really as noticeable with the hood down due to loud exhasut.

Normal acceleration: Again sounds the same to me since I have my exhasut. No real difference in tone.

WOT: Sounds wicked! You really start to hear it at 3,000 rpms, and with the windows shut it almost sounded like secondary intake runners kicking in at 4,000. Windows down it is deep and throaty throughout the band. You can definitely hear it.

Performance? I definitely think it feels quicker throughout the rev band (remember the car isn't any louder really so I am not just thinking this becasue of more noise). Even at highway speeds in high gear it pulls harder.

So the much debated 20 pounds of torque gained down low?
I did launch it and only got minor wheel spin, but I don't think it really bogged or had that lag in acceleration as much. Note I am running 93 octane, so say what you will about that as well.

All in all, I think this car is quicker than the my old ST with the same mods. The gearing is a bit different but I still think this one is quicker. It does sound better too since the exhasut has only the one internal cat in the head that I still have on there, hence making it deeper and less raspy. I actually like the heat shield much better on this one as opposed to the old one. It is a better simpler design and I think this one is blocked off from the heat better too. I also like the fact that they retain the stock snorkel so it is pulling in colder air without the risk of hydrolock.

So the question to yourself is what to buy first intake or exhasut? Sound vs. power. While the exhaust does add power, the intake adds more and together they bring out the best in eachother. Personally I couldn't stand the lack of exhasut note (and Injen might had been the only intake out at the time) so I went with exhasut. The dual tip is sexy. Since I didn't post up a pic of my plastidipped stripes during the day here you go.

ST Crew #11 / SSR #5
Official Mayo Hater #1
Randomie's Lover #8

Last edited by Duffman355; 05-11-2012 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Updated pic! Fail!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
Mucrammada
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91537
What I Drive: 2013 Limited WRX Hatch, 2011 CTS

FF Reputation: 1 Mucrammada Good Standing Member
Duff i know this is off Topic but can I join the Official Mayo Hater club too?
Official Mayo Hater #5

Bookmarks & Social Networks