2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 21 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #201
Focus eh
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97170
What I Drive: 2012, Red Candy, Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Focus eh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hmm, so knowing that I've already had one strut and one mount replaced, do I go back to the dealer and have them do the work on the TSB? Seems like that solution's not helping long term either....
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #202
allyy

Fan#: 95236
What I Drive: 2012 focus

FF Reputation: -3 allyy Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
maybe its because it being replaced with the same crap ford parts that were ther in the first place. Ford needs to make som changes .
Old 04-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #203
CarolinaFocus2012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98332
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red 5-dr Hatch SE Focus

FF Reputation: 1 CarolinaFocus2012 Good Standing Member
Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle)

My car is only 3 days old and has very low miles and I have the same problem with the strut making noise when the car "warms" up. It is driving me nuts!!!! This is the first time I have owned a Ford, don't get me wrong I love Ford's we have owned several and currently my hubby owns a 2012 Ford Raptor and couldn't ask for a better truck. I have not talked to the dealership yet about the problem because it began the first night after we brought it home and it set idle for a while. The next morning it didn't make any sounds so I told my hubby we didn't need to worry about it cause it had stopped. Later I went to pick our son up and had to sit in the car line at school and it started again. I'm sorry but a new car shouldn't have issues right off the bat. I love my Focus but I would love it more if it didn't have this problem/noise.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #204
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83605
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by flygry1 View Post
Have them check the motor mount. Mine was doing the same exact thing. It had everybody fooled until a rep from Detroit found a bad right front motor mount which solved the problem. The rattle on startup was a clue that it wasn't strut related
Mine did the same thing, but it ended up being a motor mount. The key was when I would turn the engine off in cold weather, there would sometimes be a clunk (or a few of them) as the engine slowed down. This was while the car was sitting still, obviously.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #205
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83605
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaFocus2012 View Post
My car is only 3 days old and has very low miles and I have the same problem with the strut making noise when the car "warms" up. It is driving me nuts!!!! This is the first time I have owned a Ford, don't get me wrong I love Ford's we have owned several and currently my hubby owns a 2012 Ford Raptor and couldn't ask for a better truck. I have not talked to the dealership yet about the problem because it began the first night after we brought it home and it set idle for a while. The next morning it didn't make any sounds so I told my hubby we didn't need to worry about it cause it had stopped. Later I went to pick our son up and had to sit in the car line at school and it started again. I'm sorry but a new car shouldn't have issues right off the bat. I love my Focus but I would love it more if it didn't have this problem/noise.
Does it happen when you creep forward (without putting your foot on the gas)? If so, that could possibly be caused by a bad motor mount or the trans causing exceissive vibration.

I'm also a bit confused because the suspension (from what I know) is not really related to the engine's temp. I had a 2008 that would make some strut noise whether the car was warmed up or not, or whether it was freezing out side or blazing hot. Either way, I'd have them look at the transmission and the motor mounts. Your transmission will make some small noises which I'm guessing a normal, especially at low speeds (under 20 mph).

Is the noise more of a speak, thud, or a knocking sound?
Old 04-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #206
CarolinaFocus2012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98332
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red 5-dr Hatch SE Focus

FF Reputation: 1 CarolinaFocus2012 Good Standing Member
It is more of a chatter noise when I'm turning but it only happens after I sit idle for a little while that is why I'm so confused about what it could be...it sounds like a strut but who knows that's the reason I joined the forum to see if others were having a similar problem...thanks for the info and I'm sure it will be back at the dealership next week for a thorough checkup...
Old 04-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #207
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,235, Level 35
Points: 3,235, Level: 35 Points: 3,235, Level: 35 Points: 3,235, Level: 35
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeremyy View Post
Just got my car back a few hours ago after dropping it off on Monday and the low speed clunk/rattle is gone...
Hi jjeremyy,

I’m glad the Ford dealer was able to repair the concern. Enjoy your Focus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang74shelby View Post
same I had replaced, was quieter for about 2 weeks, now its back...
Hey stang74shelby,

Give your Ford dealer another visit. Also, if you have not done so, shoot me a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN so I can get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1899 View Post
Had same TSB performed as well. Lasted about a week and noise returned. Now it actually happens more frequently it seems. Taking it back next week.
@ josh1899,

Visiting your dealer is a great step. I can arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager for your area. Please send me a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmobiaritz View Post
...I had the same TSB performed but the noise remained...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus eh View Post
Hmm, so knowing that I've already had one strut and one mount replaced, do I go back to the dealer and have them do the work on the TSB?...
Gizmobiaritz & Focus eh,

Give the dealer a call and talk to the service department about your options. Also, give the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center a call at 1.800.565.3673 for assistance.

Quote:
My car is only 3 days old and has very low miles and I have the same problem with the strut making noise when the car "warms" up...
Quote:
...I'm sure it will be back at the dealership next week for a thorough checkup...
Hi CarolinaFocus2012,

I can combine that thorough checkup with a call from the Customer Service Manager for your area. When you have a moment, please send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, your personal, and dealer contact info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhawkeye View Post
Mine did the same thing, but it ended up being a motor mount...
sirhawkeye,

Great to know the local Ford dealer repaired the concern. If I can be of assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to shoot me a PM with the details of the issue.

Take care all and thanks for your patience as we address your concerns!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 04-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #208
Mistofoleez
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86059
What I Drive: None

FF Reputation: 1 Mistofoleez Good Standing Member
New: The noises are getting worse as the days get warmer. I'd like to restate as I did at the beginning of this very long post that the first time I took it in they "greased" the strut bumpers/bushings and the sound went away for a short time but returned. The last time they replaced bushings and springs. Nothing. To those who doubt the temperature relation I know it does it more during warm weather. Maybe it is an expansion issue on the struts or something. If there were a new model strut, I'd be more optimistic.
SIDE NOTE: I drove a new titanium on the dealer lot. The noises were far worst than on my car. I was thankful I didn't own that one!

My dealership has been very cooperative. I have no issues with them. I'd like to see a permanent solution though.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #209
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Fan#: 87369
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport - 5 Speed

Points 14,197, Level 77
Points: 14,197, Level: 77 Points: 14,197, Level: 77 Points: 14,197, Level: 77
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 34%
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%
FF Reputation: 10 Shade-010 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I went to the Dealer today and my service rep had a tech drive the car and the tech heard nothing. So the rep had me drive and he rode along and right on the way out of the parking lot "Lo and behold" the Noise was there and made a bunch of noise till we got back. so he heard it and knows im not Full of Shite.... I also printed out 15 pages of forums to show all the people with the same problems. He said not one other Focus has been in for the noise at the dealer
http://www.rebeldevil.com
Old 05-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #210
HornedFrog05
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97892
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST2

FF Reputation: 6 HornedFrog05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hey guys,

Sorry it's been a while since I've been on the forum but after reading all the new comments I'm starting to get discouraged. I talked with my CSM and she told me to take it to another dealership (seems like Ford wants to shift blame on the dealership for bad repair work instead of address that there is a legit problem with their new product).

Also, I had the TSB performed on my struts and the sound was gone for about 2 weeks then came back slowly and now it's more loud than it's ever been. As soon as I get home and have access to my service documents I will update the google doc. Thanks for that by the way, pretty nifty. Hopefully we can spark change from the manufacturer because as it stands they don't seem to care.

I'll be taking my vehicle to a different dealer next week to address the noise issue but also because my back seats have come apart from the backing and the leather. I can totally see into the workings of the seat if I fold the seat down. So, my car just seems to be falling apart from all sides :(

So glad I bought a Ford

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.