P/S delete - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-29-2012, 05:45 AM   #31
Mike_Mac
Focus Addict

Fan#: 61110
What I Drive: 04 Red/Black ZX5, 00 infared ZTS

Points 2,322, Level 29
Points: 2,322, Level: 29 Points: 2,322, Level: 29 Points: 2,322, Level: 29
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 12 Mike_Mac Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
without fluid the rack will function the same way as a manual rack but will require much more force. you will need to keep it lubricated by either looping the lines or setting each side up on a resivoir. if its not lubricated the rack will eventually bind up.

personally i would be more worried about putting all that stress on the torsion rod/bar. this bar twists and is what controls the valves for fluid flow. when you are putting all that extra effort into low speed turning it could go from elastic to plastic deformation and possibly break after time.

All power assisted racks will function normally as a manual rack as a safety feature if the power assist where to fail, but they are in no way designed to take prolonged exposure to driving with no assist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerFocer View Post
That's incorrect. The rack requires the fluid to function as per design. Just because there is no high pressure assist or way of replacing the fluid (i.e. the pump) doesn't mean it isn't a hydraulic system. A brake system with no booster is still a hydraulic system.
^^ Fluid is not required for the rack to function, you are looking at the system in the wrong way. its a mechanical system that has a hydraulic assist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #32
PowerFocer
Focus Addict

Fan#: 61706
What I Drive: 2010 Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 2 PowerFocer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Mac View Post
without fluid the rack will function the same way as a manual rack but will require much more force. you will need to keep it lubricated by either looping the lines or setting each side up on a resivoir. if its not lubricated the rack will eventually bind up.

personally i would be more worried about putting all that stress on the torsion rod/bar. this bar twists and is what controls the valves for fluid flow. when you are putting all that extra effort into low speed turning it could go from elastic to plastic deformation and possibly break after time.

All power assisted racks will function normally as a manual rack as a safety feature if the power assist where to fail, but they are in no way designed to take prolonged exposure to driving with no assist.

^^ Fluid is not required for the rack to function, you are looking at the system in the wrong way. its a mechanical system that has a hydraulic assist.
This. Much more clear than I could manage to put it apparently
NEVER trust anyone with your car or your girl.
Either way, you could get a rod thrown in both.........
Fast cars make smart people do dumb things
Old 01-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #33
FR2oh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 71822
What I Drive: 07 Silver ZX4. 00 SPI

FF Reputation: 2 FR2oh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
So figure id bring this back for an update its been about 9 months since i did the delete and rack is holding up perfectly fine.
Sedan Revolution Member #222
Best E.T 15.0@90mph, 2.4 60'
Steeda SRI, F2 header, Magnaflow catback, Massive UDP, P/S delete, A/C delete, Eibach 22mm front swaybar, H&R springs, Eibach rear camber kit
Old 01-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #34
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

Points 2,381, Level 29
Points: 2,381, Level: 29 Points: 2,381, Level: 29 Points: 2,381, Level: 29
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It's exceptionally common to use a power rack with a looped line and go manual steering.

FR2oh is not reinventing the wheel here, but he did find a really convenient way of dealing with the serpentine belt issue with factory parts.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #35
Urbanspacedude91
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91432
What I Drive: 2010 Blue Flame Duratec

FF Reputation: 1 Urbanspacedude91 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
OK where does this stand with 08-11???
Old 01-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #36
FR2oh
Focus Enthusiast

As far as i kno the rack is the same and so is the pump so im 99% sure it would be the same deal as mine but i would ask some of the guys on here just to double check.
Steeda SRI, F2 header, Magnaflow catback, Massive UDP, P/S delete, A/C delete, Eibach 22mm front swaybar, H&R springs, Eibach rear camber kit
Old 01-21-2013, 06:15 AM   #37
VEGAS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75680
What I Drive: 2007 Focus

FF Reputation: 4 VEGAS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I had a PS issue in my 07 focus and got to a point I was burning up pumps left and right... I let the fluid drain, ran it that way for 2 years no issues... One day about a year ago I added a tranny cooler to the PS return line and refilled it and worked no issues... SO Going by that, no fluid will work for as long as you want.. just remember to have your vehicle moving when turning, try to never over exert the system by standing still and turning the wheel. that will stress the gears. This is in Vegas where heat is a issue and I had no issues with manual steering

there is one issue... the steering wheel column has 2 plastic washers/guides that will get stressed from the heavy turning and MAY need to be replaced after a few years but thats all..
I just torqued mine down better.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #38
beansfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83771
What I Drive: A dark haired donkey!!

FF Reputation: 1 beansfocus Good Standing Member
Any way the OP could post a picture of so called "T" and breather??
Old 01-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #39
FR2oh
Focus Enthusiast

Yea i can take a picture if youd like i dont have a "T" on it anymore ever since i blew my motor up i reran some things, i took the metal P/S line and crimped it and it hasnt leaked sinced and took the breather and put it on the other P/S hose so they didnt have to be connect and its been that way since july no issues
Old 01-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #40
beansfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83771
What I Drive: A dark haired donkey!!

FF Reputation: 1 beansfocus Good Standing Member
The that'd be awesome if you could snap some pictures. I'd like to delete my power steering when I install my cossie mani here soon!

Bookmarks & Social Networks