2012 a/c problem - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #31
mcbeenb
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97940
What I Drive: 2012, Blue, Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 mcbeenb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Fixed!

Great news guys. Our car is fixed. As it turned out, it was a combination of issues, but the primary problem was the sensors in the climate control system were not set/calibrated. This was causing lots of heat from the heater coil to spoil the system. On top of that, our condenser was defective, causing very poor cooling... if any.

So, in our case persistence paid. The main problem was that since the car was so new, there were a lot of areas the techs initially refused to look. They had a hard time believing the system could be so badly broken.

Yesterday when the wife picked me up I was amazed at the difference. The car was keeping cool easily on low fan speeds, and the temp control actually worked! Before the fix the temp dial was a psychopathic monster. A hair of a turn was the difference between uncomfortable and burnt. The temp dial now actually gives us a full range of temps! What a concept! This is definitely related to the calibration issue... and I hope it helps you guys track down your issue.

The A/C system does in fact work if its running right. So there's hope!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #32
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
well that's good to hear :)

Also I don't know how I missed this awhile back but though it was technical, there wasnt really any advice I could give to let you fix it yourself so I believe this should go in the Third Generation section.

enjoy your AC, I removed mine from my car a month ago. It will be missed.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 04-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #33
allyy

Fan#: 95236
What I Drive: 2012 focus

FF Reputation: -3 allyy Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Mine works Great
Old 04-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #34
HappyHarryNET
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98338
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 HappyHarryNET Good Standing Member
Hello Everyone!

So glad we checked to see if the 2012 Focus had a forum or if Googling found air conditioning problems with the new 2012 Focus autos; and there is!

Our 2012 Focus SE since the minute we drove it off the lot has had the weak air conditioning issues described here on this forum.

When our weather became 75 and 80 degrees, having the A/C set 100%, recycling air, even after 10 minutes of cool air, it does not cool you off! Our 2003 Focus' A/C kicks holy butt on this car. But now that we have read, we need to call Ford and schedule a warranty fix. I plan to PRINT OUT THIS FORUM to show proof there is a problem with new units and what they need to look for to correct OUR air conditing. We are within our bumper-to-bumper 36,000 mile warranty and we also purchased Ford's platinum 7 year warranty; glad we did now.

Problems:

+ air only cool at best on full blast; will not cool you off even when only 70F degrees outside

+ turning air thermostat to just below the start of the white area on dial, warm air begins to appear. THIS IS WRONG

We will report to Ford:

+ the condenser may be bad

+ the air dampers may not be set correctly, allowing hot air into the system from the heater even when the A/C was on

AND WE WILL FOCUS THEM ON THIS FACT:
whereas the car is new, there were a lot of areas the techs initially may refuse to look or troubleshoot; leading to customer disatisfaction and a non-repaired vehicle. Ford may have a hard time believing our A/C system could be so badly broken with only a few hundred miles on the vehicle.

WE will provide Ford this Ford Forum's reporting and will not let them bait us to accept anything less than ICE COLD AIR CONDITIONING!

CUSTOMER RESPONSE AFTER FIXING THIS PROBLEM:
Yesterday when the wife picked me up I was amazed at the difference. The car was keeping cool easily on low fan speeds, and the temp control actually worked! Before the fix the temp dial was a psychopathic monster. A hair of a turn was the difference between uncomfortable and burnt. The temp dial now actually gives us a full range of temps! What a concept! This is definitely related to the calibration issue... and I hope it helps you guys track down your issue. The A/C system does in fact work if its running right. So there's hope!

The above customer statement PROVES our air conditiong IS IN FACT not functioning properly and had I tested the A/C before taking delivery, I NEVER would have taken delivery of our car!

HHNET
2012 Kona Blue Focus SE
Old 04-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #35
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeenb View Post
Great news guys. Our car is fixed...
Yesterday when the wife picked me up I was amazed at the difference. The car was keeping cool easily on low fan speeds, and the temp control actually worked!...
Hello again mcbeenb,

Thatís great to know! If you ever need assistance in the future, donít hesitate to shoot me a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarryNET View Post
...Our 2012 Focus SE since the minute we drove it off the lot has had the weak air conditioning issues described here on this forum...
Hi HappyHarryNET,

Welcome to the forum!

Iíll be happy to arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager for your area. In order to do so, send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN.

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 05-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #36
KukaaKatchou
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96771
What I Drive: 2012 red Ford Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 KukaaKatchou Good Standing Member
Hmm this may explain some things I noticed about my car as well. As soon as the engine warms up I get warm air on any setting of the thermostat if AC is off. I have to go in for transmission problems (after only 2 weeks with the car!) so I'll ask them to check this as well *sigh*
Old 05-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #37
dcamfam
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 93153
What I Drive: 2012 5 door Focus White

FF Reputation: 1 dcamfam Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMACHU View Post
Has any one had issues with their 2012 Focus in stop and go traffic with the a/c stops blowing cold air?When my Wife first got the car a/c would not work took it back and they said a fuse had dislodged and reinserted it no problems after that until this problem and of coarse Ford can not locate this issue has to become more of problem for them to locate this issue.
my 2012 is in the shop for a second time. 4000 miles... air conditioner is great, then stops blows hot or warm humid air and a weird smell. Fist time in the shop, they said the system was not charged properly. Recharged, and a dye test. Worked fine for about 10 days and then started in again. I hope we get the problem solved, as my wife wants me to sell the car cause she cant stand the smell when it stops... that shoud cost me big bucks
Old 05-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #38
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by KukaaKatchou View Post
...As soon as the engine warms up I get warm air on any setting of the thermostat if AC is off. I have to go in for transmission problems (after only 2 weeks with the car!) so I'll ask them to check this as well *sigh*
Hi KukaaKatchou,

Itís a pleasure to meet you!

Iím glad your Focus will be visiting the local Ford dealer. A representative from the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center will also be happy to assist. Give them call at 1.800.565.3673 when you have a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcamfam View Post
my 2012 is in the shop for a second time. 4000 miles... air conditioner is great, then stops blows hot or warm humid air and a weird smell....
Hello again dcamfam,

Thank you for your patience as the dealer repairs the issue.

Have you contacted the Customer Service Manager assigned to your case previously? Send me a PM with the request; I'll be happy to do so on your behalf.

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 05-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #39
Uptcv1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88390
What I Drive: 2012 sonic blue SE sport DCT hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Uptcv1 Good Standing Member
Mine will need to be checked too... Seems to also produce hot air at any setting when a/c off which makes necessary to use a/c very often... Even when outside temp is not high.. When using a/c need to dial close to max cold setting to feel cold air... Whats odd is the left vent from central dash always blows warmer air vs the right one...
Old 05-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #40
Armando2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89153
What I Drive: 2012 Focus S Sterling Gray Metallic

FF Reputation: 1 Armando2012 Good Standing Member
Well funny how this has become an issue because I brought it up once last summer here and it was ignored.
I was living in the southwest where the temps were really high last summer and I noticed the A/C did not cool very well when the temp outside was high, like over 95.
I have since moved to east Texas where in the summer you get high humidity as well as very high temperatures.
Now the weather has been warm here and low humidity, but summer is not here yet.
So I will see how well my 2012 Ford Focus handles the high heat and humidity.
I hate the major inconvenience of having to take it to the dealer so they can "look" at it and then slowly figure it all out.
Maybe the factory condenser is not made to handle high outside temperatures.
We'll see what happens and I'll keep this forum posted.
From another forum posting:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286869

Last edited by Armando2012; 05-10-2012 at 09:08 AM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->