*FREE Trophy Valve Cover kit + T Shirt + Graphic Kit w/ purhcase of ULTIMATE Head!* - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Exclusive Vendor Discussions > Massive Speed

Massive Speed Discuss about forced induction upgrades and performance tuning for your Ford Focus.
Sponsored By: Massive Speed

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
K Dog
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 23554
What I Drive: Car

FF Reputation: 10 K Dog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
There's a million variables there, tough to say.

Quite honestly with only those mods, you probably wont see an enormous gain.

With the upgraded springs in the head, I would want to see a larger lift camshaft too. And some form of short runner IM to take advantage of both the cams and head.

Or the turbo would really allow the head to shine as well. Fact is with the mods you've got now, the OE head isn't a big restriction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #12
LouBomb
It was all a DREAM!

Fan#: 32545
What I Drive: A magical pony by the name of Sally

FF Reputation: 9 LouBomb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
any idea when the zetec heads are coming?
Focus Revolution Club
Formely IMPORTKILLA35
Old 04-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #13
aheroicrevolt
le kittens meow

Fan#: 57964
What I Drive: 92 Burnt Orange Toyota Supra

FF Reputation: 2 aheroicrevolt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Dog View Post

With the upgraded springs in the head, I would want to see a larger lift camshaft too. And some form of short runner IM to take advantage of both the cams and head.

Or the turbo would really allow the head to shine as well. Fact is with the mods you've got now, the OE head isn't a big restriction.
Reading on Topspeeds website, they say that their Long runner intake manifold would be best for 90% of the consumers. And that the short runner would probably only be used in a really high hp/tq build.
I dont know a whole lot about this stuff, but doing an N/A build sure does peak my interest, so I'm just wondering why you say the short runner, is it just because you want us to build the * out of our focus that we need that high powered rediculous one? lol
Heres reference: http://topspeedperformance.net/ford-...take-manifold/
Old 04-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #14
tungfumaster
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18237
What I Drive: 2006 infra red ST

FF Reputation: 1 tungfumaster Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:

The only thing on the car now is intake and exhaust. Everything else is in my basement waiting. I figure the head, cams, tune, pulleys, and header will be a nice power bump. I will enjoy it and get used to it for a bit while I decide what the next step is.

Why is my cam choice an issue? I chose these cams based on their idle quality as I'm not interested in a lopey idle and I don't need to rev to 8 million RPM. FWIW, I found some old Marcy threads where he indicated these cams would make power to 7200 RPM or so and I don't need to rev any higher...7250ish is where my tach needle hits the bezel and I won't be adding any tacky aftermarket tach.

I know the head isn't a restriction this is more of a future proofing solution. Worst case scenario is my son ends up with this car. If so? He wins, LOL...I'm doubting it though, there's nothing out that will get me to part with my cash. It doesn't matter what you buy, there is always a sacrifice.

I would also consider building a long block, this car is long paid for and I'm not buying a new one. Just not worth it to me anymore. The ST is perfect for me, in fact I'm no longer driving my AWD Fusion Sport because I enjoy the ST much more. What this means is I have quite a large budget for mods, but I will not part with my cash unless I get exactly what I want. I'm not interest in the highest dyno, I'm looking for the ultimate in responsiveness when provoked, yet have good manners if business associates are in the car, or my mom needs to borrow it.

What I need is someone who can take my requests and turn it into reality. You guys are on my list of prospects because your parts appear to be high quality, you are within driving distance for a long weekend while you "pimp my ride" and even your damn purple accents have grown on me.

I've stated my desires in multiple places in both forums and not one tuner has stepped up. What I've seen is a bunch of negativity and no solutions offered. Maybe they think I'm not serious, but I assure you I'm ready to throw down the Amex the second someone figures out the correct path and says "I'm your Huckleberry."

I'm open to any and all ideas. If I need to change some of the things I already have? No sweat, I can get my money back out of all of them.

And I want a damn free valve cover. and a T-shirt.

ST Crew #30
1990 SHO (gone), 1992 SHO (gone), 1999 Lincoln Continental (crushed), 2000 ZX2 (gone), 2004 Duratec PZEV, 2006 Infra Red ST, 2009 Focus SE Sport, 2010 Fusion Sport FWD (gone), 2011 Fusion Sport AWD.
ST Dyno 139/139
Old 04-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #15
K Dog
FF Affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPORTKILLA35 View Post
any idea when the zetec heads are coming?
Zetec head has been out since 2004ish?
Old 04-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #16
K Dog
FF Affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tungfumaster View Post

I've stated my desires in multiple places in both forums and not one tuner has stepped up. What I've seen is a bunch of negativity and no solutions offered. Maybe they think I'm not serious, but I assure you I'm ready to throw down the Amex the second someone figures out the correct path and says "I'm your Huckleberry."

I'm open to any and all ideas. If I need to change some of the things I already have? No sweat, I can get my money back out of all of them.

I'll be more than happy to sell you anything you want, but I will not "tell you what you want to hear", only to have you disappointed later.

I'm sure the car would perform great with the mods you have and the cylinder head. But personally, I'd want to make use of my $1500 head better.

Ford was able to garner PZEV status and maintain excellent MPG with the Duratec by making an efficient head and very conservative camshaft specs. The stage 1 is a big improvement. The stage 2 Crowers will provide much more power through the mid and high range (should you purchase a suitable intake manifold) with little to no appreciable loss in low end.

If you can "get your money back" on them, I would. They would be great for someone with a stock cyl head.

Not wanting a "tacky tach" is no reason to install components that are less then ideal for your combo. My speedo only goes to 140 - doesnt mean I shouldn't try and go faster! ;)

I too am not much for big 5" monster tachs, especially in my street cars.

I've got an Autometer 2 1/16" DPSS in my race car. Small package combines digital tach (0-15K) along with a multi stage shift light, launch light, etc.

Combine that with a mounting cup:

And you've got a nice low key accurate tool.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #17
PumkinSvt
Dat Bewst Life!!

Fan#: 46561
What I Drive: 10 Forte DD,Comp SVTF

FF Reputation: 28 PumkinSvt Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (32)
I want a purple vavle cover! And a sticker lol

Sent from my PC36100 using FF Mobile

HKS||Garrett||TopSpeed||Tial||Massive||
Old 04-28-2012, 12:43 AM   #18
tungfumaster
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18237
What I Drive: 2006 infra red ST

FF Reputation: 1 tungfumaster Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
I'll be more than happy to sell you anything you want, but I will not "tell you what you want to hear", only to have you disappointed later.

I'm sure the car would perform great with the mods you have and the cylinder head. But personally, I'd want to make use of my $1500 head better.

Ford was able to garner PZEV status and maintain excellent MPG with the Duratec by making an efficient head and very conservative camshaft specs. The stage 1 is a big improvement. The stage 2 Crowers will provide much more power through the mid and high range (should you purchase a suitable intake manifold) with little to no appreciable loss in low end.

If you can "get your money back" on them, I would. They would be great for someone with a stock cyl head.

Not wanting a "tacky tach" is no reason to install components that are less then ideal for your combo. My speedo only goes to 140 - doesnt mean I shouldn't try and go faster! ;)

I too am not much for big 5" monster tachs, especially in my street cars.

I've got an Autometer 2 1/16" DPSS in my race car. Small package combines digital tach (0-15K) along with a multi stage shift light, launch light, etc.

Combine that with a mounting cup:

And you've got a nice low key accurate tool.
Well, I definitely don't want you to lie to me, that's not it...Brutal honesty is how I roll.

I just need suggestions getting this car how I want it in the most efficient route. You guys are the pros and all I know is what I want. How to get there? Your department.

Now we're getting somewhere.

Regarding the cams, can we get them to idle decently?

And I love the tach...I can work with that.

Is there any way you can think of, to build for some NA fun for now and be able to add boost later if I get bored?

As far as the manifold goes, I may need to replace (delete?) my PCV. I think it would be highly wasteful not to go ahead and do the manifold since the labor is overlapping anyway...I'm kind of curious about TopSpeed's allegedly forthcoming offering.

Regarding the PCV...The car is at 89 K and burning some oil. Dealer says PCV, valve seals, or piston rings are the culprit. I asked them about a compression test as said dealership overfilled the crankcase by 3.5 quarts ] at 40k. They said that wouldn't tell me anything. Is that true? This is my thought process with the head...verify the block is sound, then just handle the PCV and head (valve seals) at the same time. I'm not real big on spending a bunch of cash for maintenance....boooring...I'd rather just upgrade. And I want to make sure the motor is healthy before I start throwing money at it.

I'm really starting to think I'm over complicating this. Part of me thinks I should just drive up and have you install what I have + manifold and drive it for a while. It should be a decent upgrade. I'd be fine with 200 at the crank for now. I really don't trust my dealership to do this and nobody around here builds Foci.

If I went that route, what would I be looking at to install the following?

Crane STG 1's
Cossie header and flex
Manifold + replace or delete PCV
CFM underdrive pulleys (your thoughts on these would be appreciated as I haven't purchased them yet.)
SCT + Tune + Dyno

If you'd like to move this conversation to PM, I will keep an eye on my inbox.

Thanks!
ST Crew #30
1990 SHO (gone), 1992 SHO (gone), 1999 Lincoln Continental (crushed), 2000 ZX2 (gone), 2004 Duratec PZEV, 2006 Infra Red ST, 2009 Focus SE Sport, 2010 Fusion Sport FWD (gone), 2011 Fusion Sport AWD.
ST Dyno 139/139

Bookmarks & Social Networks