2012 Ford Focus: 1 year, 6,000 miles, 6,000 electrical problems later :) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
cappa
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85229
What I Drive: 2000 VW Golf / 2012 Ford Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 cappa Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 Ford Focus: 1 year, 6,000 miles, 6,000 electrical problems later :)

This will be a little rant/review/praise of my 2012 Ford Focus Titanium and the various problems I've had with it in the hopes someone at Ford Customer service will see it. This June will be a full year since I've taken ownership of the car. Up until recently, I did not use my car for commuting hence such the relatively low mileage before I get into all the details, I will let you all know I am currently considering filing a Lemon dispute but I have not had a lot of the problems others have had i.e. the steering wheel issue, the grinding gear issue etc 99% of all my problems have been electrical.

I'll start off with the praises:

I do really want to love this car, for the price I paid and everything that is included with the car I don't think I can beat it which is why I chose it. The ride is relatively smooth, I get compliments on the car all the time. I chose every package except the technology package in which it parks itself because well I think it's totally pointless with the exception of a back-up camera... but let's be real thats not worth a grand. I love the MyFord Touch system despite all it's problems(we'll get to that a little bit later), I think the Navigation is by far amongst the best I've ever seen regardless of portable or in-dash. I don't use Sync all that often but when it works it's really good. I love the stock 19" rims on the car, the color is beautiful, and the interior design is relatively nice(there are a few things here and there that look like half-assed job but what can you do).

Now the cons: I have the handling package, so getting 40mpg is unrealistic but I'm getting 21/23 mpg tops, with a slight mixture of highway/city. It doesn't matter whether I was using regular or premium gasoline, mileage is the same while again I understand the bigger wheels/rims will affect mpg... I don't think it'd be this severe, but I could be wrong?

Now onto the one thing that has seen my car head back into the dealer for something that is not an oil change... the electrical.

First, I have had my PCIM(? I think or TCIM) module replaced twice, for those that may not know this is essentially the "computer" to MyFord Touch. I've had two black screens of death. My first black screen of death was literally after only one week of ownership of the car. The second black screen of death was more recently, I received the new update from Ford in the mail, I go to do the update myself and mid-update boom another black screen of death, another trip to the dealer, and a new PCIM module.

Now my third trip to the dealer, my car had to be towed back to the dealership. On my way back to work from lunch in the middle of the highway, my car's gauges kept turning on and off, the air conditioner would turn on by itself, I was unable to close or open the windows, essentially it looked like my electrical system was frying. I get back to work and luckily I am able to close the open window as it was going to rain, I try to turn the car back on and it won't start. I work for a trucking company, so some of my truck drivers helped me check the battery and the fuses and everything seemed ok. From there I call my dealer who tells me to call road service. The tow truck guy comes and he simply goes into the car and turns on the car as if nothing just like always no? haha.

Anyways, me and the two truck driver(real nice guy and Focus Fanatic =]) decide it's best to just two the car down anyways to be safe. This was two days ago. Today, I finally get a call from my dealership. Apparently, they ordered a part to replace something with my fuse box, I also need to drive back down to the dealership to drop off my second key so they can re-program it. Mind you I am about 30-35 mins out from the dealership, and there is a toll on the way down. The money I spent on tolls and gas adds up to a pretty penny.

Anyways, long story short I'm talking it over with my family and we are planning filing a Lemon Law dispute. Now whether it goes anywhere, who knows, but it's worth a shot.

With that being said, I still love this car and I want to be able to love it I doubt everyone will have the same problems I've had, but my 2000 VW Golf with over 100,000 miles is currently outlasting my 2012 Ford Focus with under 7,000 miles and that's something I just cannot accept from a new car. I'm posting this on the forum to hopefully get someone from Ford to take a look, and for those interested in the car to see both the Good, the bad, and the ugly of this car in which I have so much of a love/hate relationship with. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 47 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Moved your thread to the 2012 area since this is a rant/review/praise kinda thread . Good luck with your car and the dealership woes.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 04-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappa View Post
This will be a little rant/review/praise of my 2012 Ford Focus Titanium and the various problems I've had with it in the hopes someone at Ford Customer service will see it. This June will be a full year since I've taken ownership of the car....
Now the cons: I have the handling package, so getting 40mpg is unrealistic but I'm getting 21/23 mpg tops, with a slight mixture of highway/city...
Now onto the one thing that has seen my car head back into the dealer for something that is not an oil change...the electrical...
I'm posting this on the forum to hopefully get someone from Ford to take a look...
Hello cappa,

Thanks for posting your concern. I'll be more than happy to escalate this to the Customer Service Manager for your area. In order to do so, please send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN.

My partner Jaclyn will answer questions and concerns regarding MyFordTouch. Her handle is: FordIVTteam. Shoot her a PM as well.

Take care and have a great weekend!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 04-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
silenthill
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85671
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL hatch

FF Reputation: 2 silenthill Good Standing Member
Cappa, didn't our Foci come in around the same time last June? Sorry to hear about your problems :-(
Old 05-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
cappa
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthill View Post
Cappa, didn't our Foci come in around the same time last June? Sorry to hear about your problems :-(
thanks, yep I got my car in June pretty sure same time as yours... I only have 6,500 miles :X

Here's the update, my car was sitting at the dealership for a week. Apparently, they replaced the PCIM module(for the third time) as well as the fuse junction box. I've now been to the dealer 4/5 different times for something other than an oil change. My complaint to Ford worked, they did send an engineer to the dealership to take a look at the car but I have not received that paperwork yet. The paperwork from the dealership was 6 pages long though... lol.

I'm going to look around different attorneys see what I can do about filing a lemon.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
xpartmgr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96709
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 xpartmgr Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappa View Post
thanks, yep I got my car in June pretty sure same time as yours... I only have 6,500 miles :X

Here's the update, my car was sitting at the dealership for a week. Apparently, they replaced the PCIM module(for the third time) as well as the fuse junction box. I've now been to the dealer 4/5 different times for something other than an oil change. My complaint to Ford worked, they did send an engineer to the dealership to take a look at the car but I have not received that paperwork yet. The paperwork from the dealership was 6 pages long though... lol.

I'm going to look around different attorneys see what I can do about filing a lemon.
Good luck with your lemon complaint. Several of us feel there are major issues that need resolve sooner rather than later. I have also contact Ford and I am waiting to know what they are going to do to repair the 10 items that are open on my car today. I really love the car, but the issues have taken away the joy of owning a new car. If these issues continue I will likely trade off the car soon. Take my loss and move on. It sucks because I paid for a good car, not a POS. :-(
Old 05-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
cappa
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpartmgr View Post
Good luck with your lemon complaint. Several of us feel there are major issues that need resolve sooner rather than later. I have also contact Ford and I am waiting to know what they are going to do to repair the 10 items that are open on my car today. I really love the car, but the issues have taken away the joy of owning a new car. If these issues continue I will likely trade off the car soon. Take my loss and move on. It sucks because I paid for a good car, not a POS. :-(
I hear you man, I love this car alot so much so to the point that I've been patient enough to not cause a s--t storm(when I have every right to do so).

Same as you... if I can't get anything done with filing a lemon I'm going to try trading it in or selling it privately.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
Rat Fink
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92487
What I Drive: Ford, and vintage Dodge

FF Reputation: 6 Rat Fink Good Standing Member
If that module has been changed 3 times already, sounds to me the guy doing the work is following the dummies guide to diagnosis, a.k.a "parts 'till she starts" method.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
unclebrud
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85754
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S (Ingot Silver)

FF Reputation: 1 unclebrud Good Standing Member
Good luck getting this resolved. Ford must be losing tons of money on these early cars. My last trip to dealer = $2,100 in receipts (all warranty work).
Old 05-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebrud View Post
Good luck getting this resolved. Ford must be losing tons of money on these early cars. My last trip to dealer = $2,100 in receipts (all warranty work).
It's a shame the car was put out so prematurely. Mine's by and large solid, with the exception of the occasional DCT rumble that is said to be 'normal' but may or may not be. (I still do worry about long-term issues such as premature transmission gear replacement, etc, but that's just an emotion...)

And it is a new generation of car, with the new style engine, DCT, et cetera... the improvements do outweigh the cons in this vehicle and even the DCT, noise aside, is much nicer than the old style 4-speed automatic.

Still, in five years when we upgrade to the next Focus, those issues will be dealt with and likely will be resolved long before we all upgrade to the next version. But it is rather nice that Ford is swallowing the cost on this and not ditching customers. Cars aren't quite the level of cheap computer tablets just yet.

Bookmarks & Social Networks