DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 106 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #1051
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Ford Focus 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhawkeye View Post
Small update--the over-rev in 1st gear seems to be gone now. But, I'm concerned with the "rattle" the trans makes after it shifts from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd. doesn't always happen... mainly with slow starts from a stop light. Not as apparent with faster starts. Is this normal, though?
Hi sirhawkaye,

I don't know yet if it is normal, but I saw on youtube a little movie that was made by Ford and the engineer who was driving it said that you can hear how the car shifts and that it is normal. I'll try to find that clip (it was somewhere here too at one time) and post it here. He talked about "clicks", not the grinding noise we hear all, but ... the fact that I hear it when I start slowly from a full stop, like you do, it might be normal. But you never know.

P.S. My new dealer who did the last job on my car (and solved the problem I had), even though he heard the noise, said it is normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #1052
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
Hi sirhawkaye,

I don't know yet if it is normal, but I saw on youtube a little movie that was made by Ford and the engineer who was driving it said that you can hear how the car shifts and that it is normal. I'll try to find that clip (it was somewhere here too at one time) and post it here. He talked about "clicks", not the grinding noise we hear all, but ... the fact that I hear it when I start slowly from a full stop, like you do, it might be normal. But you never know.

P.S. The last dealer who did the last job on my car (and solved the problem I had), even though he heard the noise, said it is normal.
Link for the YouTube video from Ford?

Brian
Old 04-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #1053
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Ford Focus 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
Link for the YouTube video from Ford?

Brian
I am sure it was on youtube too, what is not in youtube nowadays ? :D I don't remember his exact name, but I am sure a user from here, MOPAR something, posted the video I am refering to some time ago.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #1054
Focusofsoul
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 13988
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sport, Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 Focusofsoul Good Standing Member
Hi everyone,

I have a long story with my 2012 focus. Basically, I got it in early May 2011... then in early August 2011 I hit a raccoon going 70 mph. There was over $3000 worth of damage..

Since then, I have noticed my transmission acting funny (exactly like everyone describes here). It seems to shudder/lose power at lower gears, and almost always makes a grinding *GRRRRRRRRRR* when shifting at low gear.

My dealership service center hooked it up to the computer systems and they said there's nothing wrong with it.

I'm getting it back tomorrow and going to take it to another dealership. Is there anything I should tell the other dealership that I want them to perform on my car to fix it? It's at 21k miles, well past the "break-in" stage. I've read that replacing the clutch is often a good fix. Mine could easily have been damaged from the raccoon incident - the oil pan got ripped off, hole in radiator that leaked out all coolant, and transmission fluid also completely leaked out. I've been fighting with my original dealership to fix it, they're useless to me. Hoping this new place will do something besides hook it up to a computer and check the codes...
Old 05-01-2012, 05:49 AM   #1055
Red 2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85244
What I Drive: 2012 candy red SEL; 2005 Freestyle

FF Reputation: 1 Red 2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusofsoul View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a long story with my 2012 focus. Basically, I got it in early May 2011... then in early August 2011 I hit a raccoon going 70 mph. There was over $3000 worth of damage..

Since then, I have noticed my transmission acting funny (exactly like everyone describes here). It seems to shudder/lose power at lower gears, and almost always makes a grinding *GRRRRRRRRRR* when shifting at low gear.

My dealership service center hooked it up to the computer systems and they said there's nothing wrong with it.

I'm getting it back tomorrow and going to take it to another dealership. Is there anything I should tell the other dealership that I want them to perform on my car to fix it? It's at 21k miles, well past the "break-in" stage. I've read that replacing the clutch is often a good fix. Mine could easily have been damaged from the raccoon incident - the oil pan got ripped off, hole in radiator that leaked out all coolant, and transmission fluid also completely leaked out. I've been fighting with my original dealership to fix it, they're useless to me. Hoping this new place will do something besides hook it up to a computer and check the codes...
I'm thinking you can't blame racoon on Ford's marginal engineering and inability to foresee the DCT was not an acceptable substitute for AT in all driving conditions.

Dealers as far as I can see do not have ability to correct engineering problem as of yet. There is a reason that more MT outsell DCTs. Break in is BS, DCT gets worse not better after 100 miles. Of course there may just be a small percentage of owners like ourselfs with the "problem" DCT transmissions ... I would love to meet someone who claims that the DCT in their car is perfect ... and would like to trade cars with them for a day. I've done replacement clutch bandaid ... and that did nothing after 100 miles. I'm not going to waste another 4 days paying for a rental. What they should do is fab up an existing AT and just change it out ... can't be much harder than doing a clutch bandaid.

Don't blame a service guy who doesn't have a solution to a badly engineered DCT. He just has nothing he can do, and Ford continues not to own up to the problems it has with DCT.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #1056
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 2012 View Post
I'm thinking you can't blame racoon on Ford's marginal engineering and inability to foresee the DCT was not an acceptable substitute for AT in all driving conditions.

Dealers as far as I can see do not have ability to correct engineering problem as of yet. There is a reason that more MT outsell DCTs. Break in is BS, DCT gets worse not better after 100 miles. Of course there may just be a small percentage of owners like ourselfs with the "problem" DCT transmissions ... I would love to meet someone who claims that the DCT in their car is perfect ... and would like to trade cars with them for a day. I've done replacement clutch bandaid ... and that did nothing after 100 miles. I'm not going to waste another 4 days paying for a rental. What they should do is fab up an existing AT and just change it out ... can't be much harder than doing a clutch bandaid.

Don't blame a service guy who doesn't have a solution to a badly engineered DCT. He just has nothing he can do, and Ford continues not to own up to the problems it has with DCT.
I really don't have any complaints with my DCT. I don't know if I would go as far as saying it's "Perfect". Never driven the MT Focus so I can't compare but exactly what are your expectations ? That the DCT will feel exactly like an older torque converter, heavy fluid based tranny?

I apologize in advance that I didnt read every page of this thread so I don't know the issues you've specifically had and if they're anything different than my experiences with DTC than I can see why your not happy with it.

One of my favorite ways to drive this car is while I'm in town running around is to put the shifter in S - Sport mode. I get such a kick out of the way it pulls away from the lights, I tend to dash in and out of traffic like a maniac only because this car is so fun to drive. Also I like the engine braking in S mode as it helps cut down on chalking up my Ti Wheels with Brake dust. Once Im on the highway I bump the gear selector up to D so it can utilize 6th gear.

Anyhow, Not to make light of your or anyone's issues but just wanted for the record to state that not everyone considers the DCT a failure or has any problems with it.

I used to drive nothing but MT's but Im much older these days and for me it's just more comfortable to sit back and not have to constantly keep pumping the clutch, reaching forward to shift, etc etc. To each their own I guess.

Best Regards,
B.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #1057
Red 2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85244
What I Drive: 2012 candy red SEL; 2005 Freestyle

FF Reputation: 1 Red 2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
I really don't have any complaints with my DCT. I don't know if I would go as far as saying it's "Perfect". Never driven the MT Focus so I can't compare but exactly what are your expectations ? That the DCT will feel exactly like an older torque converter, heavy fluid based tranny?

I apologize in advance that I didnt read every page of this thread so I don't know the issues you've specifically had and if they're anything different than my experiences with DTC than I can see why your not happy with it.

One of my favorite ways to drive this car is while I'm in town running around is to put the shifter in S - Sport mode. I get such a kick out of the way it pulls away from the lights, I tend to dash in and out of traffic like a maniac only because this car is so fun to drive. Also I like the engine braking in S mode as it helps cut down on chalking up my Ti Wheels with Brake dust. Once Im on the highway I bump the gear selector up to D so it can utilize 6th gear.

Anyhow, Not to make light of your or anyone's issues but just wanted for the record to state that not everyone considers the DCT a failure or has any problems with it.

I used to drive nothing but MT's but Im much older these days and for me it's just more comfortable to sit back and not have to constantly keep pumping the clutch, reaching forward to shift, etc etc. To each their own I guess.

Best Regards,
B.
hmmmm... do you think that Ford handing out new clutches like candy bars is a sign that everything is as expected? Yes driving under S is the only answer and probably why you are postponing the inevitable. If I didn't have an arthritic thumb ... I would play with S a lot more ... it's hitting that button that kills me -- six times up and six times down.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #1058
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 2012 View Post
hmmmm... do you think that Ford handing out new clutches like candy bars is a sign that everything is as expected? Yes driving under S is the only answer and probably why you are postponing the inevitable. If I didn't have an arthritic thumb ... I would play with S a lot more ... it's hitting that button that kills me -- six times up and six times down.
Oh sorry, No I don't really use the button. I just use S mode in its Auto capability. I'm not certain if you were aware but you can just put it in S and it will modify the shift points, hold the gears longer. You also have the ability to hit the button and over ride that but I never do.

I am not aware of the numbers in clutches Ford is handing out though, I can only speak of my own experience and I certainly hope I don't develop issues with my tranny. The funny thing though is DCT Transmissions are not something brand new. Maybe to Ford using them but believe it or not they've been around since the 80's. Probably more prevalent in Europe though.

Anyhow, I believe we both agree that we have a reasonable expectation of reliability on longevity of our transmission and expect it to perform as intended. I would certainly hope that Ford continues to work towards making sure it's customers are completely satisfied. We don't need another Pinto.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #1059
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhawkeye View Post
Now, does anyone have any suggestion for the "relearing" process for the trans? I'm tempted t o drive it a bit harsher than I normally would (ie. forcing it to use the full RPM range of the gear before shifting to the next).
Suggest performing the Drive Cycle as posted a few pages back. Even though your dealer was suppose to do this as the last step of the TSB update; it's a good idea to perform it yourself to insure the best results from the adaptive learning process.

Then drive it hard and use S mode to achieve high RPM shifts. Good luck!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #1060
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseE1981 View Post
Well, I just posted in the following thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285687 about how even after the software update (which I had done before winter time), my transmission was still acting weird. After finding these steps today, I disconnected my battery to try them out. It looks like you have to do everything but pat yourself on the head when you follow these steps, but after doing them, I immediately noticed a difference. My car was no longer shifting below 2000 RPMs, and the transmission felt more like a regular automatic than it ever had. Whether it stays like that or not after continued driving, well I'll have to wait and see. But disconnect your battery and give it a try, you'll probably be surprised with the outcome.
Good job and great news for people who already have the latest TSB update and want to try this to improve shifting. Removing the battery does seem to help with resetting the adaptive learning process. Hope it keeps working well for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
You indicate steps 1-3 are performed with the Ford Diagnostic Tool (IDS) -- what does this mean? Is this something the Ford service techs do? If so, how do you know they've done it? What is the purpose of these first three steps?

The drive cycle seems straight forward and I know many places where I could perform this test, but just to be clear -- is the drive cycle a test or is it a conditioning/learning thing or both?

Brian
Yes, steps 1-3 are the PCM update thats flashed into your computer by Ford. The drive cycle is the first step after the re-flash to help the DCT re-learn correct shift points and shift strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyall2010 View Post
I tried it tonight (I found the time) and it failed miserably. I did just what was on the sheet (nothing more, nothing less). After I did the steps, the transmission still made grinding noise. I am convinced that the clutch gets hot too easily and does this. Even with a cold engine, it sometimes makes blender-like noises. My only soultion at this point is to wait until 15,000 miles and get it fixed. This will hopefully give Ford time to get a better designed clutch ready. The clutch needs to better take on the heat and not give up the ghost too easily. Also, the transmission has a tendency to either slip, or skip through fourth gear on acceleration. I have 9,800 miles on the car, so this will give me (and Ford) four months.
Hey Dan ... sorry to hear your still having issues. May want to try the battery reset procedure since it helped JesseE1981 when he did it prior to performing the drive cycle. But if your problems are as bad as they sound then don't wait until 15k to take it in. Go to the dealer right away and have them check it out and refer to Voldar's post since they fixed his DCT and others have had the same issue as well and got it fixed too. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
Ok, I have my car back and everything is working great ! There is no more slipping and shuddering. The worksheet shows there was a problem with the transmission and an oil leakage between transmission and engine. They also redid the TSB 11-12-13.
And my ex-dealer said it is normal!!
Great news Voldar ... glad to hear they fixed it and your response here can help others to direct their dealers to look at this issue if they are experiencing similar problems.

Bookmarks & Social Networks