2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 17 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #161
Focus eh
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97170
What I Drive: 2012, Red Candy, Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Focus eh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
And we've had several European built VW's in the past with many issues as well. Anyway, I'm not here to debate who makes better cars. Just want to fix this one so I can enjoy it. Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #162
HornedFrog05
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97892
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST2

FF Reputation: 6 HornedFrog05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Well, been driving in my car for a couple days now and it still makes the same sounds. The lead technician at Park Cities Ford told me that the sound was definitely not normal although they have heard it in a few Focus vehicles with 1K + miles, but they only tested Titaniums with Sport packaged.

I didn't know the problem extended all the way to the S models. To be honest, that's pretty scary because it sounds like a model-wide issue. I agree about the parts replacements, clearly if you replace one defective part with another defective part then you're exactly where you started. My Focus has a brand new front end and the noise is just a knocking away. Really discouraging.

Oh, and the dealer requested a Ford field engineer to come overlook the repairs and help with the issues but Ford denied this request.

Here's a new Ford tagline: "Ford, we put customers last."
Old 04-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #163
Gizmobiaritz
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96043
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Gizmobiaritz Good Standing Member
Is it possible to make a list of all parts that have been changed per model in order to single out the defective part.

We can do it per suspension type.

In my case Ti: (parts that were changed but did not sove the problem)

Strut
Strut Bearing
Strut Mount
Sway Bar Link

Please copy the above and add to it if you have this vehicle.

or somebody can make a new thred with a survey (a bar represents a part changed)

Since Ford is not helping us, we need to help eachother.

Thank you.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #164
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Can you hear the same knock when you go slow over speed bumps? I hear what appears to be my shocks and or springs and a similar noise when going over uneven pavement in a turn.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #165
Focus eh
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97170
What I Drive: 2012, Red Candy, Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Focus eh Good Standing Member
Can anyone who previously had the issue resolved with an engine mount replacement chime in? I counted 4 or 5 posts earlier in the thread where people claimed that replacing the front passenger engine mount solved this issue. I'm interested to see if the noise has returned at all in any of these people's cars. I'm sure the answers would be helpful to those of us who have yet to find a viable solution.

Beyond the fact that we all have to assume that we're experiencing the same issue, I am starting to think it has to be the engine mount or away bar. I was in an underground parking lot this afternoon and I could hear the rattle loud and clear with every shift of weight the car made as I made my way down the ramps towards the exit. If it was related to the struts or springs (mine have been changed) I think that with a careful ear, one would still be able to hear the symptomatic noises even at moderate speeds whereas most people have mentioned that they are only hearing these noises at low speeds. I think that perhaps the weight or natural gravitational pull of the car at higher speeds reduces or eliminates the symptom as the weight of the engine is more or less static as to where it's sitting. When slowing down however, the weight shifts thus causing the noise. For me it happens most when I'm breaking but also when going over bumps or really uneven pavement.

I'm going back to the dealer this week and I'll plead with them to change the front passenger motor mount and check the end links for adequate grease from the factory. Hopefully we are all close to a solution.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #166
jpr0204
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91197
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Sedan 5-Speed Stick

FF Reputation: 1 jpr0204 Good Standing Member
Well ladies and gentlemen,

Hang tight, as mentioned in an earlier post, I have an appointment with a lead engineer on Tuesday 04/24/12 to go over the nosies that the vehicle is making. I am really curious to see if he will try to weasel his way out by the "it's normal" routine or if he will clearly admit there is an issue. If he says "it's normal" I will have the dealership pull a new one off the lot and show him that there is no knocking noise when turn the wheel from one direction to another and there are no clunks/rattles over bumps. As soon as I complete the visit and get home from work, I will post our findings immediately.

Thanks all for the responses.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #167
Gizmobiaritz
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96043
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Gizmobiaritz Good Standing Member
In my case the noise is very very loud when turning right. Once the noise starts, you can hear it over speed bumps as well. The only strange thing is that is occurs more after the car has been running for a while.

It is important to note that although the noise is three going forward it is very loud while turning. Like the above post, yes the noise can be heard while the weight of the car is shifting; in my case under braking.

A week ago I took the latest built Focus, new car off the truck, for a ride and it behaves very differently; no noises what so ever. I took the car to see if I can reproduce the noises same as mine on the exact same curbs and nothing, very quiet. Also all new cars have the new sat nav os installed already.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #168
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang74shelby View Post
They may have some of the most state of the art facilities, but that doesn't mean excellent quality parts. Why do you think VW pulled out of Mexico on some vehicles. I had a 2000 VW Cabrio (mexico built) soooo many electrical issues. a yr or so later VW Cabrio built back in Eu.
*bingo*
Old 04-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #169
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr0204 View Post
110% agreed Allyy, I've said the same thing for many months now. No matter how many times they reach into the same bin for a replacement part it is always going to be the same junk that the cars originally came with until enough people lodge a complaint and they issue either another TSB or a recall and redesign the parts that may be causing the probem. But, I don't think they want to admit they have a problem because if the do, they will lose a lot of coin by issuing the recalls.
That's a lot of coins...

But let's say they do come out with a cross-compatible component that fixes the issues, they could probably retro-fit the 2012 Focus and the amount of money lost would be far less by comparison, brand recognition and loyalty would skyrocket because they were conscious of a problem and fixed it for customers, even if it took a little while... And not everyone with this model is experiencing "the problem" to begin with...

I'm not sure if Ford is consciously trying to hide anything... and, surely, if they had, the repercussions could be far, far worse, especially if somebody got injured or killed and it was due to a transmission? But that's hyperbole... but I'm going take them in good faith right now...

To my perception, most of it does seem to be controller-related, rather than the mechanical gears, but I'm certainly not a mechanic... someone said it's the mis-matching of the DCT with an engine that can't provide the RPMs at lower gear levels (1, 2), but I still think most of this has to do with the controlling computer in the DCT...
Old 04-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #170
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I threw my car up on the lift tonight and lightly tapped a few things with a deadblow hammer to see if I could replicate the noise, but I was unable to find a source of any noise. Everything was tight. I've replaced my springs myself, the struts are visually fine with no seepage or wear, strut bearings are fine and tight, nothing is loose. I've tightened everything down.

The only thing I can't really check are the sway bar bushings, which are up under the subframe. Another source could be the sway bar endlinks.

I checked my LCA bushings, and I saw no premature wear or signs of 'no lubrication.'

Bookmarks & Social Networks