DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 104 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 02:12 AM   #1031
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast
 
noahsfocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90974
Location: buena park, CA
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

Posts: 311
FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyall2010 View Post
I live in a gated community and will do steps 1-9 there. To do steps 10-13, I would have to go the highway (several miles away).

I may do this later today, or tomorrow if I have the time.

It seems like when you have to do setp 12, you are not just repeating steps 11, but steps 10 and 11. Am I correct?
Hey Dan ...I have performed the drive cycle and best way I found is get within a mile of the freeway on a long road with no stops or at least 1/4 to 1/2 mile stretch that doesn't have much traffic to perform steps 1-9. Then use step 10 to drive to the freeway and try to stay out of 5th and 6th. It likes to shift early so u want to stay below 35 or 40mph. It's fine to repeat step 10 a few times like if you have a few stop lights on the route to the freeway.

Then once you get to the freeway and perform step 11 then slow down to a complete stop and repeat it again as step 12. So in reality you do repeat step 10 to climb up to 5th and 6th gears ...so the answer to your question would be yes, to repeat step 11 you would do step 10 again as well. It's a little bit confusing when it says repeat 2 times, does it mean repeat it 2 more times making it a total of 3 step 11 cycles or just twice but I did it 3 times to be safe.

Then ur done and test drive using high rpm shifts and really drive it hard to get it well worked in and use sport mode too.

Are you going to try the manual reset on the PCM by disconnecting the battery first as mentioned previously in this thread? Curious to know if that would help initiate the adaptive learning reset procedure and make the drive cycle procedure more effective.

Good luck and post back your results!
noahsfocus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #1032
danyall2010
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Fan#: 89399
Location: Weston, FL
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium Sedan

Posts: 532
FF Reputation: 3 danyall2010 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsfocus View Post
Hey Dan ...I have performed the drive cycle and best way I found is get within a mile of the freeway on a long road with no stops or at least 1/4 to 1/2 mile stretch that doesn't have much traffic to perform steps 1-9. Then use step 10 to drive to the freeway and try to stay out of 5th and 6th. It likes to shift early so u want to stay below 35 or 40mph. It's fine to repeat step 10 a few times like if you have a few stop lights on the route to the freeway.

Then once you get to the freeway and perform step 11 then slow down to a complete stop and repeat it again as step 12. So in reality you do repeat step 10 to climb up to 5th and 6th gears ...so the answer to your question would be yes, to repeat step 11 you would do step 10 again as well. It's a little bit confusing when it says repeat 2 times, does it mean repeat it 2 more times making it a total of 3 step 11 cycles or just twice but I did it 3 times to be safe.

Then ur done and test drive using high rpm shifts and really drive it hard to get it well worked in and use sport mode too.

Are you going to try the manual reset on the PCM by disconnecting the battery first as mentioned previously in this thread? Curious to know if that would help initiate the adaptive learning reset procedure and make the drive cycle procedure more effective.

Good luck and post back your results!
Thank you for the tip. I will be probably doing it tomorrow if the weather is not crappy. I will not be doing a battery reset.
danyall2010 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #1033
raptor1956
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97725
Location: Taylorsville, UT
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Posts: 1,203
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Steps 1-3 take just a few minutes and are performed with the Ford diagnostic tool (IDS).

Step 4 (drive cycle) is as follows:

1. Press the brake pedal.
2. Shift to Drive.
3. Wait 15 seconds.
4. Shift to Reverse.
5. Wait 2 seconds.
6. Repeat (1-5) ten (10) times.
7. Accelerate from a stop with light throttle to 24.1 kmh (15 mph).
8. Brake gently to a complete stop (allow at least 6 seconds).
9. Repeat steps (7-8) five (5) times in dealership parking lot or similar setting.
10. Accelerate from a stop with light throttle performing 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 shifts maintaining 1700-2000 rpm.
11. Accelerate to a speed between 80.5 kmh (50 mph) and 104.6 kmh (65 mph), achieve 6th gear, keep throttle steady with engine below 3000 rpm for a minimum of two (2) minutes.
12. Repeat step 11 two (2) times.
13. Test drive the vehicle.
You indicate steps 1-3 are performed with the Ford Diagnostic Tool (IDS) -- what does this mean? Is this something the Ford service techs do? If so, how do you know they've done it? What is the purpose of these first three steps?

The drive cycle seems straight forward and I know many places where I could perform this test, but just to be clear -- is the drive cycle a test or is it a conditioning/learning thing or both?


Brian
raptor1956 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #1034
JesseE1981
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Fan#: 88551
Location: Lansing, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Hatchback

Posts: 187
FF Reputation: 1 JesseE1981 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
You indicate steps 1-3 are performed with the Ford Diagnostic Tool (IDS) -- what does this mean? Is this something the Ford service techs do? If so, how do you know they've done it? What is the purpose of these first three steps?

The drive cycle seems straight forward and I know many places where I could perform this test, but just to be clear -- is the drive cycle a test or is it a conditioning/learning thing or both?


Brian
Well, I just posted in the following thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285687 about how even after the software update (which I had done before winter time), my transmission was still acting weird. After finding these steps today, I disconnected my battery to try them out. It looks like you have to do everything but pat yourself on the head when you follow these steps, but after doing them, I immediately noticed a difference. My car was no longer shifting below 2000 RPMs, and the transmission felt more like a regular automatic than it ever had. Whether it stays like that or not after continued driving, well I'll have to wait and see. But disconnect your battery and give it a try, you'll probably be surprised with the outcome.
JesseE1981 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #1035
BigFuzzyArchon
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 87167
Location: Hollywood, FL
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch Sport Package

Posts: 117
FF Reputation: 1 BigFuzzyArchon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I am glad my dealer was able to perform the drive cycle properly as I have had no issues since the update was performed.
BigFuzzyArchon is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #1036
JesseE1981
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Fan#: 88551
Location: Lansing, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Hatchback

Posts: 187
FF Reputation: 1 JesseE1981 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Im willing to bet my dealer just reflashed and didn't do anything beyond that...which is about what I would expect from that service department.
JesseE1981 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #1037
danyall2010
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Fan#: 89399
Location: Weston, FL
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium Sedan

Posts: 532
FF Reputation: 3 danyall2010 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsfocus View Post
Hey Dan ...I have performed the drive cycle and best way I found is get within a mile of the freeway on a long road with no stops or at least 1/4 to 1/2 mile stretch that doesn't have much traffic to perform steps 1-9. Then use step 10 to drive to the freeway and try to stay out of 5th and 6th. It likes to shift early so u want to stay below 35 or 40mph. It's fine to repeat step 10 a few times like if you have a few stop lights on the route to the freeway.

Then once you get to the freeway and perform step 11 then slow down to a complete stop and repeat it again as step 12. So in reality you do repeat step 10 to climb up to 5th and 6th gears ...so the answer to your question would be yes, to repeat step 11 you would do step 10 again as well. It's a little bit confusing when it says repeat 2 times, does it mean repeat it 2 more times making it a total of 3 step 11 cycles or just twice but I did it 3 times to be safe.

Then ur done and test drive using high rpm shifts and really drive it hard to get it well worked in and use sport mode too.

Are you going to try the manual reset on the PCM by disconnecting the battery first as mentioned previously in this thread? Curious to know if that would help initiate the adaptive learning reset procedure and make the drive cycle procedure more effective.

Good luck and post back your results!
I tried it tonight (I found the time) and it failed miserably. I did just what was on the sheet (nothing more, nothing less). After I did the steps, the transmission still made grinding noise. I am convinced that the clutch gets hot too easily and does this. Even with a cold engine, it sometimes makes blender-like noises. My only soultion at this point is to wait until 15,000 miles and get it fixed. This will hopefully give Ford time to get a better designed clutch ready. The clutch needs to better take on the heat and not give up the ghost too easily. Also, the transmission has a tendency to either slip, or skip through fourth gear on acceleration. I have 9,800 miles on the car, so this will give me (and Ford) four months.
danyall2010 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #1038
Tumdace
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88175
Location: Listowel, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium, Sterling Grey

Posts: 121
FF Reputation: 1 Tumdace Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseE1981 View Post
Im willing to bet my dealer just reflashed and didn't do anything beyond that...which is about what I would expect from that service department.
Cars in the dealership again for service relating to shudder. Tried to show them the issues, they gave me the "its normal" speech again. Leaving it there for the whole day, hoping they come up with a solution.

Thing is, when I showed the technician, he didnt think it was bad enough to warrant looking into it. It may not jerk violently and spill coffee, but it still makes driving the car and shifting gears feel sooooo clunky/awkward.

Makes the car not fun to drive.
Tumdace is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #1039
VOLDAR
Focus Addict
 
VOLDAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90444
Location: Montreal, Canada
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

Posts: 1,159
FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyall2010 View Post
I tried it tonight (I found the time) and it failed miserably. I did just what was on the sheet (nothing more, nothing less). After I did the steps, the transmission still made grinding noise. I am convinced that the clutch gets hot too easily and does this. Even with a cold engine, it sometimes makes blender-like noises. My only soultion at this point is to wait until 15,000 miles and get it fixed. This will hopefully give Ford time to get a better designed clutch ready. The clutch needs to better take on the heat and not give up the ghost too easily. Also, the transmission has a tendency to either slip, or skip through fourth gear on acceleration. I have 9,800 miles on the car, so this will give me (and Ford) four months.
danyall, you should check with another dealer. I have the exact same situation (the grinding noise) and some shuddering after the last TSB (maybe a coincidence, maybe not) and my ex-dealer said it is normal. I went to another dealer and they discovered there is something with the clutch. I waited about 2 weeks so that the dealer gets all the parts needed for the work and today my car is in. I'll let you know how things went.
P.S. I have 16K km on mine.
__________________
White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat
303A, 6-Speed SelectShift Automatic, 17" Aluminum wheels, Luxury Package,
Parking Technology, Navigation, Winter Package
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
VOLDAR is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #1040
danyall2010
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Fan#: 89399
Location: Weston, FL
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium Sedan

Posts: 532
FF Reputation: 3 danyall2010 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
danyall, you should check with another dealer. I have the exact same situation (the grinding noise) and some shuddering after the last TSB (maybe a coincidence, maybe not) and my ex-dealer said it is normal. I went to another dealer and they discovered there is something with the clutch. I waited about 2 weeks so that the dealer gets all the parts needed for the work and today my car is in. I'll let you know how things went.
P.S. I have 16K km on mine.
Thanks you for the tip, but for me, I will wait until my next oil change. I need my car right now because I am job searching and I have an interview on Thursday.
danyall2010 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.