Yanner's 2012 stereo install - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
Yanner
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93640
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue 5MT hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Yanner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatWobble View Post
I'm starting to look at the LC6i to solve this, as it seems others have been happy with it.

Quick question for you--

I'm looking at a the Polk components speakers for the front as well. They are rated at a max RMS of 100W. That Alpine 5-channel amp in your install is only rated at 60W per channel; has that been an issue for you, or does it still sound great?

Thanks for the help. I'm a newbie at all of this stuff.
It looks like you have an SE, so you don't have the Sony system, correct? In that case, I'd splurge for the LCQ-1 which can be had for about $220 online. If you had the Sony system, you might be able to away with the signal summing of the LC6i, but the bass roll off of the non sony stereo is quite dramatic and the LCQ-1 has a feature precisely to remedy that problem.

You are right to be weary of using an amp that is rated less than what the speakers are rated at, because if you ask too from it, you can get clipping which can damage your speaker's voice coils.

As for the amp, it's loud enough and I have not encountered any over heating issues yet (though I'm not bumping bass heavy music at max volume for hours on end). Alpine amps are typically under rated, and they usually come with a quality control certification card that gives you the actual wattage your amp is capable of at the factory. I've had it as loud as what felt like rock concert level, with no clipping or distortion and I'm not planning to venture beyond that. I'm giving the components up front slightly more power via the amp's gain such that from the driver's seat I'm getting good image up front but with solid rear fill.

Bookmarks & Social Networks