First time at the drags! Did a lot better than I thought I would (w/ Vids) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Drag Racing

Drag Racing The place to discuss information about drag racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
DoomsdayFAN
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92019
What I Drive: ~2006 ZX4 SE Sedan 2.0L~

FF Reputation: 1 DoomsdayFAN Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Smile First time at the drags! Did a lot better than I thought I would (w/ Vids)

Went to the strip last night. It was my first time ever going there and racing during an official event. Up till that point, I never thought I'd do as well as I did. I figured I'd be somewhere in the 17s, but I was pleasantly surprised to find my car exceeded my expectations. Not to mention I was the only Focus there, so I felt good representing our brand! The only mods currently on my car are the ones listed in my sig, plus a gutted trunk.

My first official drag race ever. I went into this race thinking I was going to get killed (and apparently so did the woman sitting behind my friend & GF who were recording. She kept talking shit about my car and how it was an embarrassment to even be there. Her reaction once the light hit green was priceless though!)
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

This was a bit later in the night. I finally got matched up with someone more in my league. The cool thing about this vid is that it actually captures the sound of my car perfectly. I also broke trantion three times, which I was pretty proud of considering my car is only an ATX 2.0 with only a few bolt on mods.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

This was my final race of the night. I managed to run into one of my co-workers there. She was racing her big Dodge RAM with a few bolt ons herself. It was fun!
YouTube Video

Overall though, it was a cool night. I can't wait to do it again next time. Only then, hopefully I'll have my header and tune installed. But overall, my car was averaging 16.4s all night. That's a LOT better than I predicted it was going to do.

One other thing I noticed... off the line, my car seemed to pull nicely, but once it shifted into about 3rd, it started to pull less and less and that's when the races I lost (such as the first vid) the guys next to me started pulling away. So hopefully my header & tune will fix this and I'll be able to pull hard all the way through the RPM range and not lose power when it shifts into the higher gears.

Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,247, Level 93
Points: 23,247, Level: 93 Points: 23,247, Level: 93 Points: 23,247, Level: 93
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
nice man! I ought to come down to sea level to see (lol) what my car can do. Good numbers though in my opinion. how did that v8 compare? didn't look too far off.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 04-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
DoomsdayFAN
Focus Enthusiast

The Yellow V8 did a 14.7 @ 100mph compared to my 16.4 @ 82mph.

He got to 60mph in 9.7 whereas I did it in 10.5sec.

My reaction time was slower as I got off a little late (was my very first time dragging) at 0.45 while his was 0.24.

I actually beat him to 60 feet though. I got there in 2.4 while he did it in 2.6

But yeah, if my power hadn't dropped off once it got into the higher gears, I probably could have taken him. We'll see if the header and tune can help with that much.

Last edited by DoomsdayFAN; 04-18-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
matmatician
Cars&Corgis

Fan#: 81361
What I Drive: A ONE COLOR FOCUS, Ducatis

Points 7,021, Level 55
Points: 7,021, Level: 55 Points: 7,021, Level: 55 Points: 7,021, Level: 55
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 4 matmatician Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Dude! You held your own against that camaro! Not gonna lie, I thought he was gonna smoke you! He definitely had some exhaust work done on it. Hard to tell what else listening to it through my phone lol. Way to represent man!! I'm gonna have all the same mods as you more or less when my car is out of the shop, so I kinda know what to expect now!
ROTM June '13, PNW Crew #42, SR #245, Rally Rev #02
Old 04-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
fordblue
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97078
What I Drive: used to drive 2012 focus w/dct

FF Reputation: 1 fordblue Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
That was cool!.Impressive off the line man!
Old 04-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
bespurcell
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60917
What I Drive: 2003 black svt

FF Reputation: 2 bespurcell Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Very nice. Gotta love the consistency of an auto. I was wishing I had one after my first night. You should use a small shot of nitrous. It would really help you at the end when you start feeling power dropping off to hit it.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:33 AM   #7
DoomsdayFAN
Focus Enthusiast

Even if I got NOS, the strip doesn't allow it during "Street Legal" nights (the night once every 3 weeks or so that all casual street cars are allow to race). If I were to run with NOS, I'd have to race on a different night against much more powerful cars running NOS.

I think my only goal from here on out is to get my Header/Flex/Tune installed, then maybe get my other two engine torque mounts replaced with stiffer race ones, and then maybe get a set of lighter wheels. Maybe sometime down the road I'll consider cams & valve springs. Only problem there is that I need someone to help me get those on.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
Roushturboedzx3
I Fab Too Much

Fan#: 42814
What I Drive: 2002 Liquid Gray ZX3

Points 14,483, Level 78
Points: 14,483, Level: 78 Points: 14,483, Level: 78 Points: 14,483, Level: 78
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 20 Roushturboedzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayFAN View Post
Even if I got NOS, the strip doesn't allow it during "Street Legal" nights (the night once every 3 weeks or so that all casual street cars are allow to race). If I were to run with NOS, I'd have to race on a different night against much more powerful cars running NOS.

I think my only goal from here on out is to get my Header/Flex/Tune installed, then maybe get my other two engine torque mounts replaced with stiffer race ones, and then maybe get a set of lighter wheels. Maybe sometime down the road I'll consider cams & valve springs. Only problem there is that I need someone to help me get those on.
Who says that have to know about your spraying? you don't need to purge it at the line. and you can hide the bottle.
I may not be the baddest, but the baddest dont Fu** with me
Old 04-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
SMITHBOY76908
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56301
What I Drive: 2007 Turbo ZX3

Points 14,482, Level 78
Points: 14,482, Level: 78 Points: 14,482, Level: 78 Points: 14,482, Level: 78
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 18 SMITHBOY76908 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roushturboedzx3 View Post
Who says that have to know about your spraying? you don't need to purge it at the line. and you can hide the bottle.
I wouldn't even try to attempt that, especially if it's a NHRA track. If you hide it and they do find it, banishment for life. NHRA tracks are really strict about nitrous. Even a 14 or 15 second car with spray has to have a SFI 3.2A/1 jacket and a helmet at minimum. If they catch you with it and you aren't wearing that, see ya.

Bullwinklesauce (can't remember how to spell his username so I had some fun ) doesn't have that issue at Bradenton since it's an IHRA track.

As for the consistent 16.4s, all I have to say is bracket race right meow!!!

Those times are pretty good for a 2.0L auto. My best bone stock to include stock air filter and stock exhaust was a 16.62. I went straight turbo from bone stock so I never ran it with a cold air.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
DoomsdayFAN
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah, my track is an Official NHRA track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMITHBOY76908 View Post
Those times are pretty good for a 2.0L auto. My best bone stock to include stock air filter and stock exhaust was a 16.62. I went straight turbo from bone stock so I never ran it with a cold air.
Was that with a 2.3L? Honestly, that's kind of discouraging to me because although I have no idea what my car would run fully stock, a 0.2 second increase in time from 16.6 to 16.4 with a CAI/TB/Exhaust seems kinda weak. But my car was pretty damn slow stock, so I'm guessing I would have done somewhere in the 17s.

When you were running 16.6 bone stock, did you gut your trunk?

Anyone think taking out my dash mat and all four floor mats (probably 10lbs total give or take) would benefit me at all next time? I figure every pound counts, so I might as well give it a shot.

Bookmarks & Social Networks