Can bus - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
Andiiogr
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97367
What I Drive: 2008 silver focus tdci

FF Reputation: 1 Andiiogr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Can bus

Hi i am in need of some more help i am putting a towbar on my 2008 focus style 1.6 tdci all the fitters differ in price but most of them differ in the fitting some say a relay by-pass type is needed but most say no its not mine is newer shape model facelift i think so any help is app. do i get it fitted or not will it matter that much its a euro spec focus...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
st12131
Focal Distortion

Fan#: 74797
What I Drive: 2007, Huyndai, Santa Fe, GLS

FF Reputation: 8 st12131 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Hi there, most (as in almost all) of us are US spec members and will do our best to help you out. I have no idea how to help you though.
Are you adding a towbar to the rear or the front. For the rear it should just bolt in.
I am guessing you are asking about the wiring for the towbar?
Focus S #1, Sedan Revolution #192, Rally Revolution #8, March 2012 SOTM
Focal Distortion, a Ford licensed club and FSC member.
Sgt, USMC (1999-2003)
Old 04-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
gtferrari
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88110
What I Drive: 2008 Vista Blue SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 4 gtferrari Good Standing Member
the can bus is a very sophisticated communication system for the car. it allows the modules to talk to each other and share info (rpm, temp, speed......). im not sure how having a tow bar would require access to the system. if you are towing the car and you are looking to have the signals work a simple pig tail that ties directly into the wiring harness for the lights would work. if you are trying to tow with your car and you want lights for a trailer or to have trailer brakes then yes you would want to slave in a relay into the harness. this will protect the cars electronics from high amperage draw. this should be done at the power distribution box under the hood and not at the rear of the car.

Rep Points dont add themselves
Old 04-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Andiiogr
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtferrari View Post
the can bus is a very sophisticated communication system for the car. it allows the modules to talk to each other and share info (rpm, temp, speed......). im not sure how having a tow bar would require access to the system. if you are towing the car and you are looking to have the signals work a simple pig tail that ties directly into the wiring harness for the lights would work. if you are trying to tow with your car and you want lights for a trailer or to have trailer brakes then yes you would want to slave in a relay into the harness. this will protect the cars electronics from high amperage draw. this should be done at the power distribution box under the hood and not at the rear of the car.
Thanks thats what im being told and its great to get help so thanks a lot ....
Old 04-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
Andiiogr
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by st12131 View Post
Hi there, most (as in almost all) of us are US spec members and will do our best to help you out. I have no idea how to help you though.
Are you adding a towbar to the rear or the front. For the rear it should just bolt in.
I am guessing you are asking about the wiring for the towbar?
yes its a rear towbar and yes its the wiring thats causing headaches older cars just clip onto existing wires and off you go ....thanks for reply...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.