Wierd Steering Noise - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
liamb2001
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89060
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus 1.4 LX (MK2)

FF Reputation: 1 liamb2001 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Wierd Steering Noise

Hi guys not been on the forums for a while but i got really wierd issue with my MK2 2005 Ford Focus, about 4 months ago it developed a whining noise (no, not the wife) which got worse with the steering and im not talking a little whining either its really bad it makes everyones head turn when driving past.

Anyway ive ahd the pump replaced on it twice and today i had the steering rack replaced on it and half way after driving home from the garage the car started making the noise again !!! I really dont know what to do anymore ive spent a small fortune on the car and just want it fixing but neither garages or Ford can tell me what the problem is

any help or advice at all would be helpful

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
myke
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40582
What I Drive: focus

FF Reputation: 1 myke Good Standing Member
is it whining all the time or when you steer? if its a screaming noise it could be the belt or tensioner. other than that goi back to garage if they changed rack and pump the only other thing is dirt in pipes but garage should have cleaned them
Old 04-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
pasta
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62350
What I Drive: 2003 eap svt

FF Reputation: 5 pasta Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (40)
or they didnt bleed it properly
Old 04-13-2012, 03:07 AM   #4
liamb2001
Focus Rookie

the whining noise has always been after a couple of minutes of driving and the sounds gets worse the more you turn the wheel, ive bled it properly again myself. Ive just asked my garage about cleaning the pipes and they said they did that :but i cant help get the feeling now theyve tried what theyve done they want to wash there hands of the whole thing :(
Old 04-13-2012, 03:57 AM   #5
liamb2001
Focus Rookie

im starting to wonder (from a none mechanic point of view) wether whats happpend is my rack was on its way out and has been putting extra strain on the steering pump and has knackered the newly fitted pump again

can anyone vouch for if that sounds at all possible at all ?
Old 04-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
liamb2001
Focus Rookie

anyone ??? :(
Old 04-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
CriticalMass
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63989
What I Drive: 2009 Focus Coupe SES, Silver

FF Reputation: 2 CriticalMass Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamb2001 View Post
anyone ??? :(
Is it a steering noise or a wheel bearing? Honestly if it's happening all the time it may have nothing to do with steering. You might be hearing a bad wheel bearing that just sounds louder because of the way the wheel is turning. It's hard to know without hearing it though.

Can you record the sound and post it or find an existing youtube video that mimics it?
Old 04-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
liamb2001
Focus Rookie

thanks for the reply, this is the noise its making its exactly the same as this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cynokAKCM1U

thing is i dont have a leak as my fluid level stays the same but the sound comes on after about 2 mins of driving it and is constant it also differs when turning the wheel

the only reason im assuming its the PS pump is because of what Ford and Mechanics are telling me. The first time i replaced the pump it sorted the problem but the mechanic told me to flush and refill with new fluid two weeks later and in doing so it brought the noise back again, i had a second pump fitted (at a different garage) and it lasted about a week and started making the noise again and replacing the rack didnt make any difference at all

Ford werent much help they told me they would replace the rack and pump (with no guarentee it'd fix it) but quoted me a fortune so i went to my local mechanic who told me it cant be the pump as im on my 3rd one

i dont know cars too well but ive run out of ideas i just want the damn thing sorting and form what im told there isnt much else it can be down to but maybe im dealing with complete idiots.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
CriticalMass
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63989
What I Drive: 2009 Focus Coupe SES, Silver

FF Reputation: 2 CriticalMass Good Standing Member
If that is the noise exactly that definitely sounds like the power steering. My wife's car has a very small leak (as in I have to refill it about every 3 months) and when it gets low, that's the sound it makes.

But it's difficult to believe that three power steering pumps have gone bad that quickly, i've only seen that happen with starters.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:42 AM   #10
liamb2001
Focus Rookie

yeah a lot of people are saying that, after a new rack and new pump what else is there though ??

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->