Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus

888K views 2K replies 468 participants last post by  PrDawg 
#1 ·
Well purchased my brand new 2012 Ford Focus on May 21, 2011. My vehicle had to be ordered and was delivered to me on May 24th. Upon driving it, I found that when I would come to a stop and push the gas to go, it would sputter and hesitate. I have been dealing with it for over 2 weeks and decided to contact my dealership.

I took the vehicle to the shop on June 3rd. The tech drove with me and felt exactly what I was talking about. He stated that he had to put it on the computer. Within 30 minutes, he came out with a piece of paper stating 2012 Focus automatic transmission shudder. Some 2012 focus vehicles equipped with the powershift/DPS6 transmission may experience a shudder/shake on start up or when slowing to a stop. This condition does not cause durability or reliably concerns and will deminish as the clutch breaks in. "IF CUSTOMERS COMPLAIN OF THIS ISSUE, PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR THE VEHICLE AND SHARE THIS SERVICE MESSAGE WITH THE CUSTOMER.

My question was, how long does this go on and when will it stop? No on could answer. Has anyone else felt this issue? I could not find any post on this prior to me putting this up. I stated I do not feel safe in the vehicle. The car at times when I pull out on the road feels just like it will stall out. After sending an email to the VP of the dealership, I was contacted by the service manager. He stated that he is working on getting an answer from Ford.. At the time of service there were 781 miles on my car. Today there are 1291 and still nothing has changed. I am awaiting a reply and will move forward if I don't like the answer.[bigcry]

Also, yesterday while driving, my shoe lace got caught on brake peddle. Has anyone else ever gotten stuck on the brake peddle? Just curious. It freaked me out.

See less See more
#851 ·
He thinks it is the transmission now. The car is not driveable and has to be towed to the dealer. I have a 5-speed. The loud "exhaust" noise I heard was the transmission. :( All they were supposed to do is the steering recall! Does anyone know what they have to do for the steering recall?

#857 ·
Just remember everyone: if you are part of the overwhelming majority of happy focus owners it is because you were "lucky". And this thread is for basking in negativity only. Positive comments about your car will be taken as insults and gloating and will not be tolerated!

#865 ·
Yes, thank you.

The title of this thread is "Issues with the new 2012 Focus". This thread is for people who are having problems to get help from Ford Customer Service, and other people who have dealt with those problems, or had those problems fixed by their dealers.

Please respect the situation of others if you can't understand it. If you have dealer experiences/repairs/suggestions that you can make to help those people with problems solve their problems- then please do so. Just badgering back and forth like school kids isn't productive or appreciated. Posts which are off topic and meant to inflame others will be deleted. If the behavior continues to be inflammatory there will be infractions.

I love freedom of speech, but with freedom comes responsibility otherwise we end up like those people who hold up gay rights protest and damnation signs at funerals.

Thank you for keeping the thread on topic.

#860 ·
So, I found something interesting today when I removed my headlight to tighten down a loose foglight. I had assumed that the wiggling foglight was the culprit behind one of the rattles in my front end at low speeds.

It wasn't the foglight. Strangely enough, I ended up finding a nut that was rolling around inside the splashguard underneath the foglight. I did some poking around, couldn't find anything that the nut might have backed itself off of, so I suppose it was dropped there during assembly and forgotten about.

#861 ·
2012 Focus issues

I have had the same transmission issues as I have been reading about on here..I have 15,000 miles on my car and it still shudders when taking off. I guess you sort of get used to it, but it still feels like it is in a wrong gear.
The main issue I have with this car is the battery going dead. This has happened four times in the 10 months I have had the car. The only thing FORD has fixed was a driver's side module...but the battery went dead again last week...so that was not it..or at least not the only thing wrong. Three weeks after I got the car, the monitor for the radio & SYNC went out...they replaced that....but then the battery started going dead... It seems to me this car has many electrical issues. I am hoping they will replace it..why do you get a brand new car to just have it in the repair shop five times in a year??? Does any one else have these types of issues?

#862 ·
I have had the same transmission issues as I have been reading about on here..I have 15,000 miles on my car and it still shudders when taking off. I guess you sort of get used to it, but it still feels like it is in a wrong gear.
The main issue I have with this car is the battery going dead. This has happened four times in the 10 months I have had the car. The only thing FORD has fixed was a driver's side module...but the battery went dead again last week...so that was not it..or at least not the only thing wrong. Three weeks after I got the car, the monitor for the radio & SYNC went out...they replaced that....but then the battery started going dead... It seems to me this car has many electrical issues. I am hoping they will replace it..why do you get a brand new car to just have it in the repair shop five times in a year??? Does any one else have these types of issues?
Ford is not going to offer to replace your car. That's a given. However, check your State's Lemon Law. Typically, if you have had 3 or 4 unsuccessful attempts to solve a significant problem in the first year if ownership, you may be able to force Ford into a buyback.

As you are 10 months into ownership you should look at this quickly. Hire an attorney if you wish because you do have follow a very specific path.

#867 ·
It is great now - shaky at first but great now

I had the infamous transmission shake, rattle, and roll when I got my SE hatchback. I was not prepared for The "break in" and it caused a lot of concern. After two dealer visits and a TSB, all seems OK. It is working OK and I am fine with it - not the greatest but OK. Otherwise the car is a dream - fun to drive, sporty, great handling, tight construction, and great gas mileage. I commute 15 miles each way on city streets and get 31-32 MPG. On real highway run, I get 35-37 if I stay in the speed limit.

I have an SE hatchback with the comfort stuff but nothing special in the way of options. I actually enjoy the commute - great car!

#872 ·
I had the infamous transmission shake, rattle, and roll when I got my SE hatchback...After two dealer visits and a TSB, all seems OK...
I have an SE hatchback with the comfort stuff but nothing special in the way of options. I actually enjoy the commute - great car!
Hi jtphillips,

Thanks for letting us know your Focus pleasure! [:)]

I’m available to help by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to lend a hand, please send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and the VIN.

...The dealer said it was the dry clutch and it would get smoother after 500 miles. I have 485 miles on it and it is just as bad...
Hey magnolia,

The Owner Guide states a break-in period of 1000 miles on page 5. Give it some time to smooth out. If the concern escalates after the stated period; please make an appointment with your dealer and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Our cars hold you with the brake for 2 seconds on a hill. It gives you time to get your foot off the brake and onto the accelerator. If you take to long the car will roll back. The DCT is more like a stick than an auto in this case....
As far as the shudder, it takes time for the clutches to ware in. Make your dealer aware of it and closely monitor it...
Hi gtncpa,

Thank you for the advise; I'm sure your fellow poster appreciates it. I do! [:)]

Another update for everyone about my experience so far.
I'm nearly done with my break in period. [woot] Only 180~ miles left to go. Engine is running good and my mileage is slowly going up....
If they brush me off saying that nothing is wrong or it's normal then I will escalate this through Noemi...
Boomertwo,

Don't cry, dry your eyes; here comes Noemi offering you some assistance.

I believe you know the drill; please PM your VIN, phone number, mileage, and dealer information so I can get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Thanks,

Noemi

#868 ·
I just purchased a 2012 Focus Titanium. I had actually test driven an SEL and it drove fine but decided on the Titanium because it had everything on it I wanted. When I left the dealer after the purchase I turned right around and went back to the dealer because the rear end of the car shuddered when I took off from a stop. The dealer said it was the dry clutch and it would get smoother after 500 miles. I have 485 miles on it and it is just as bad, plus I noticed the other day I was stopped on an incline with the car in drive when I took my foot off the brake to accelerate the car rolled backwards. I have never had a car do this and now I am nervous about my purchase. Any advise?

#878 ·
When I left the dealer after the purchase I turned right around and went back to the dealer because the rear end of the car shuddered when I took off from a stop.
This car is a FWD, if the back end shuddered, are you sure it's the transmission and not something else like the E-brake? In the morning after sitting all night, my car makes a horrid sound/shudders when I first take off. There's nothing wrong with my car, it's just the brake that has partially rusted itself to the rotor over night. I could loosen the brake action, but I wouldn't pass inspection because the E-brake wouldn't work as well. It only happens once per day, and it is worse if I leave it all weekend without driving it.

Instead of being tender with it because you're afraid you'll break it, try the opposite. Drive like a teenager for the rest of the 1000 mile break in period. That method worked for one of our members in NJ. It could be that slowly applying the accelerator early in the life of the vehicle is partly to cause for the shuddering just like someone who is in second gear in a manual transmission and pulling up a driveway at 5 mph. That makes a horrid GRRRRRRRR sound, and the car shakes. My dad used to do that in his Honda every day when he pulled in, and it sounded like a diesel truck- all dad's fault.

I was stopped on an incline with the car in drive when I took my foot off the brake to accelerate the car rolled backwards.
Hill assist, as I assume you've found out, will only hold the brake for 2 seconds once you take your foot off the brake. This transmission is not like the old automatics you've driven where you could take your foot off the brake and the car would start to move forward or hold itself on a hill. I'm not even sure if this transmission will allow you idle forward like in the old style autos where you could let your foot off the gas and roll around slowly.

#869 ·
Our cars hold you with the brake for 2 seconds on a hill. It gives you time to get your foot off the brake and onto the accelerator. If you take to long the car will roll back. The DCT is more like a stick than an auto in this case. Try it in a safe place. Stop on a hill. hold the brake, then let off on the brake. The car should stay in place to the count of two. After that it will roll back. That is not a problem it is just a chariteristic of a DCT.

If however you are saying, as soon as you take your foot off the brake the car rolls back, well that is a problem.

As far as the shudder, it takes time for the clutches to ware in. Make your dealer aware of it and closely monitor it.

I have a TI as well.

#870 ·
Another update for everyone about my experience so far.

I'm nearly done with my break in period. [woot] Only 180~ miles left to go. Engine is running good and my mileage is slowly going up. Though right now I am 80% in city at 35 mph and 10% county roads at 55 mph and 10% freeway at 65 mph.

On my third tank and managed 29.80757739 mpg on my last tank. (Based on the numbers I provided above.) I hope to hit over 30 mpg on this tank as I have almost 300 miles I planned to drive over the next 3 days but thankfully its all freeway speeds at 65-70 MPH. And before you ask I got the car with 127 miles already on it due to everyone that test drove it before and after me.

Now for some new issues that have appeared. [mecry]

1. The remote unlock button on my key doesn't always seem to unlock the drivers door the first try. However I mostly notice this when I come out of my apartment though I am already outside and only have a small wooden fence between me and the car then. I have also notice it do this when I am standing within 20 feet of the car. (Yes I did replace the battery in the key already to be sure that it wasn't a weak battery.)

2. Just tonight I noticed that when I went to unlock the car the interior light did not turn on when I unlocked the drivers door via the remote. The running lights came on like normal but not the interior. I lock/unlock again and the light didn't turn on. Only once I double press the unlock to open all the doors did it turn on. After that it would turn on as soon as I hit the unlock button the first time.

3. Earlier in the night I went for a little drive as I was in the mood for a relaxing drive on mostly empty streets. When i got in and turned the car on and let the engine warm up for a little bit I noticed my center dash buttons for the radio did not turn on. I then remembered my headlights were not on so I flipped it over to just the running lights to trigger the dash lights. I sat and waited 1 to 2 minutes and still nothing. Flipped the headlights completely on and waited 1 minute and nothing. Pressed the on and off button for the radio and no lights but the radio did turn on. Flipped the headlights and running lights on and off a few and then waited and 3 seconds later the dash lights for the radio controls finally came on.

Guess I'm going for another visit to the service department while still in the break in period as this seems purely an electrical and some sort of computer problem. [:(] This makes visit number #2 for issues though officially it's visit #3 since I had the oil changed at 700 miles to remove any metal bits from the oil.

My car was manufactured near the end of January so it should have all the TSB's already done to it...[unsure]

If they brush me off saying that nothing is wrong or it's normal then I will escalate this through Noemi. Though I'm not sure that it will produce any better results.

#873 ·
Ok all an update from the big city. I git my se back from the dealer yesterday. 3 time in for the tsb updates. and to fix and uodate the sync. Which went out for no other reason. and an oil change. iM AN 5400 miles now. The dealer says they tried to replicate the city driving as best THEY could. CITY mileage was down to 22mpg, BUT the hwy was up 35-40..Well lets see what happens. I was told by dealer it would have to "learn" again. For a brand new car with 5k miles on it. it should have been TAUGHT. at the factory. Not have to go in for lessons 3 times!!!!!Thats why I bought a new car. ...
Can you say unhappy!!. I cant wait to have enough equity to trade it it. I bought it for city mileage of 28 rating. And now i barely get 22. Wy to go ford

#876 ·
After around 8000 km, we have had no problems. It shifts smoothly and no shuddering now. It is a cool kind of feel to the transmission and quite different. As someone said it's like driving stick without the stick and that really describes it quite well. I like it a lot.

#885 ·
Better be careful with comments like these. The thread posters and mods have made it known that this thread is for people with concerns only. Any positive comments regarding your vehicle will be met with accusations of arrogance and bragging.

You might get away with some suggestions regarding what could be causing the issues or what may be done to resolve them.... but that's pretty iffy too. Just make sure you don't suggest that the new auto-manual gearbox isn't supposed to behave like a conventional auto. It is unacceptable to suggest driving habits or expectations are the source of their concerns.

#879 ·
Anyone had any issues playing an ipod with my ford touch? I have a 2012 titanium hatch. The display used to show song title and artist when using my ipod. Now it says unknown file, unknown folder but plays fine. I have downloaded and and used the sync my itunes program, reset my ipod, did a master reset on the cars software and nothing seems to help. I recieved the ford update for 2013 and installed but the problem still persists. Not a huge issue but annoying!

#880 ·
Hi, liljr!

I'd like to look into this further. Are you streaming music through Bluetooth audio or are you connected via USB? Also, which iPod are you using?

Jaclyn

#882 ·
Thanks for the info! Have you recently updated your iPod or added new music?

I suggest soft resetting your iPod to see if it helps. Don't worry, you will not lose any files or settings.

To do so, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and Volume Down button simultaneously for at least eight seconds or until the Apple logo appears.

Let me know if this helps.

Jaclyn

#883 ·
Purchased my 2012 Black Ford Focus on March 8th and have been driving a rental for the past 2 weeks. I have sent the car in for repairs twice in the past month, why? Because it is shuddering, upshifting too quickly and with a jerking motion, there is a rattling noise in the front end and hesitating when going up even the smallest of hills. This is complete nonsense and I am extremely disappointed in Ford. Prior to this I had an 08 Focus and not one problem from day one... At this point I would rather trade in the 2012 and take back my 2008. The service I am receiving at the dealership is pathetic, no one wants to speak to me and they are constantly rushing me off the phone and brushing me off. My husband also drives a Ford Fusion, we considered ourselves 'The Ford Family', after this experience, I will NEVER purchase another Ford!

#902 ·
Purchased my 2012 Black Ford Focus on March 8th and have been driving a rental for the past 2 weeks. I have sent the car in for repairs twice in the past month...
Hello Chelle,

Give the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center a call at 1.800.565.3673. The representative will document the issue and provide you assistance.

I had previously posted about the shudder issue on my 2012 Focus TI HB when taking off from a stop. I have tried several things that others had suggested without any luck...I figure as soon as I get a chance I will take it into the dealer...
Hi magnolia,

Congratulations on the Focus!

Let’s work on making this the great experience you desire. I can arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area. In order to do so, please send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN.

At 16K miles, mine still has trouble shifting into 2nd, 4th, and if you pay close attention, 6th. Noisy, bucking at low rpm, and sometimes results in 2nd gear not engaging at all, with the engine revving high but no power to the wheels...
Hi Reedleo,

I recently escalated a concern on your behalf; let’s have the Customer Service Manager review this issue as well. If this is the direction you desire to take, send a PM providing a brief description of the symptoms.

...I have never really had any problems with my Focus, its been GREAT!
Hey DEREKC,

Thanks for the recommendation and Focus accolade. They’re both appreciated! [:)]

Take care all!

Noemi

#887 ·
I would tell you to put about 10,000 km on the car before complaining about the transmission! If you find that you are getting a little grinding or shutter, just give it a little bit more gas and you will find that it is fine. I have never really had any problems with my Focus, its been GREAT!

#888 ·
At 16K miles, mine still has trouble shifting into 2nd, 4th, and if you pay close attention, 6th. Noisy, bucking at low rpm, and sometimes results in 2nd gear not engaging at all, with the engine revving high but no power to the wheels (safety issue). There is a real mechanical problem with that clutch assembly. Not an issue on all, or maybe even most of these cars, but if the problem is isolated to those even gears, then it's not going to go away on its own.

#889 ·
Agreed. Docment what is happening, the Dealer will do the latest flash, if chatter persists, new clutch plates will be installed. Worked for me.

It sometimes helps to be thorough with your sleuthing, so they have a clear understanding of what is being affected, and how and when.

There's really no sloughing-over mechanical issues when it is readily apparent to techs. Get it to fail while they are test driving, tag along to show them the causautive events, and you'll get a great big "hhmmmm", interesting...let me call Ford.

I'm sure they hear lots of complaints that may not be reproduced, and I understand that, coming from an engineering background, but you have to hang in there until the inevitable happens, and may be documented with witnesses.

Techs are not idiots, neither are we engineers, but there is common ground of truth, that is undeniable, when shown.

Good luck!

#894 · (Edited)
Just a note or two here...

There is a new UPDATE for the mysync which has to be done at the dealership!

I had it done today. It has done wonders to every attribute of the system. I have the touch screen navigation system which had many issues before the new update-guess what? All are gone!

From wind tunnel noise using my iphone on handsfree-to slow sync voice commands taking up to a minute to figure out what to do after a command-to get this---new formats on the screen that actually make it easier to reach command buttons on the screen that are now located closer to the driver instead of the passenger side!

The navigation system is highly improved! Although the SD NAV -card-is not updated-I was told a better improved map update is coming in a couple months and it is free by the way. I have roads that have been constructed three years ago not showing up on my display! Hope the SD-update fixes that issue.

I am a happy camper now! Please call your dealship to set up an appt. to update your sync!

I am amazed how the issues have been fixed. I gave up using my iphone handsfree because of everyone telling me to put my windows up/turn off a/c/close moonroof, etc because of the horrible wind tunnel noise--All of the noise is gone!

Any questions feel free to PM me.

#895 · (Edited)
Hello --

First post. Please bear with me. It's a long one…

I found focusfanatics this past Friday and before reading a single thread, I signed up, and then immediately jumped on this thread which has taken me several hours to read IN ITS ENTIRETY: I spent the whole weekend reading this novel of a nearly 900 posting thread. Reading the whole thread has answered so many questions, and given me so much great info, that I will now not waste your time with repeat questions that have been asked and answered so many times before in this one thread. I thank all those who have provided all this great information -- links to websites, the youtube vids on the dual clutch transmission, notes about how to learn this transmission, et al. Great stuff, all.

I'd like to apologize up front if my handle sets anyone off here. That is not my intention, but I can certainly see how it might be taken that way since the word 'shudder' is perhaps mentioned more than any other single word in this long thread. I've been using 'shudder' as my online handle since I joined a photography website called dpreview 11 years ago ('shutter' was taken, so I went with 'shudder' -- I've since used that handle everywhere on the web). The name has now brought me full circle to this website: my Tuxedo Black '12 Focus Titanium hatchback exhibited the same 'shudder' that has been so well documented in this thread by so many others.

Jumping into issues now:

I. THE SHUDDER:
On 9/1/11, FordCostomerService (Natasha) wrote, "We are working on doing a better job at explaining how this new transmission technology behaves when customers take delivery of their new vehicles" (post #178 - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3805195&postcount=178). One specific way to do this is to make the youtube videos posted previously in here required viewing at the dealership by anyone interested in purchasing a new Focus. I am going to be writing the internet sales rep I dealt with to make this exact recommendation, considering all he really did was tell me that it's a different type of automatic transmissions than most.

On 12/5/11, serathe posted this video with PowerShift Development Team Leader Piero Aversa - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX1DN04vZPk&feature=player_embedded (post #563 - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3917587&postcount=563). Note that at 32 seconds in the vid, you can actually SEE the shudder we all know so well as the Frosted Glass Focus pulls away from a stop at a corner… Taking just five minutes to view this one vid in particular as I was buying my car would have saved me so much time and effort after the fact. It really does explain so much that was not explained to me as I was looking at the car.

On 11/1/11, Montana wrote, "Anything built after 08/12/2011 should not have some of the issues that the prior vehicles had" (post #442 - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3877658&postcount=442). My Focus has a build date of 12/11 (I bought it March 18). It exhibited the same shuddering issue that supposedly only cars built prior to 8/11/11 exhibit, but for me it was not obvious until I hit some drive time traffic on a crowded freeway (no, I did not test drive the car in drive time traffic before purchasing it). I took it back into the dealership after having it for only a few days because I didn't know what was going on, but it certainly felt 'wrong' when I almost stalled trying to maneuver my way through traffic. The service personnel did not know what to tell me at first -- it was like they had no idea what was going on -- but eventually they learned (or figured they would have to tell me) that they would have to "reset the computer" controlling the transmission. By this, I now assume they performed one or another of the PCM/TCM updates talked about on here. It really did seem that they had no idea about there being any issues with the transmissions in these vehicles at all. No mention was made of this at all until they told me about the reset. This surprises me now, considering how much the FordCustomerService team have mentioned this in replies to users throughout the thread.

I'm happy to report that since that update was applied (whichever one it was -- sorry but I am too new to all of this, so I don't know exactly which was done), the shudder has thankfully been greatly reduced. I also think that information I have gleaned from earlier posts in here have helped me out a great deal, as I find that I am now driving a bit differently with this transmission than I have with other transmissions: I am learning it as it is learning me. And that's really okay, as long as everything works out in the end. There are 1,475 miles on my odometer as of this writing (highway mostly -- this is a commute car), so the jury is still out, but it does seem like it is getting better as time progresses.

Additionally, on 11/7/11, JPopNC wrote, "Have you tried a higher octane of gas yet? Did that for mine and the shutter literally disappeared" (post #458 - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3885378&postcount=458). I filled my nearly empty tank with Premium gasoline this morning, to see what effect that has. I do not intend to put Premium in the car regularly, but since it was an earlier recommendation in this thread to mitigate the shudder, I thought I would give it a try to see how the car performs. I also noted that after JPopNC's posting was made that some other folks completely discount the idea that Premium gas will do anything for the shudder. We shall see.

II. THE MILEAGE:
I was not impressed out of the gate with my mileage as it was nowhere hear the 27 - 37 MPG promised by the marketing, but I read Natasha's note on 11/25/11, "As far as fuel economy, you'll get a more accurate measurement after 2-3K miles on your Focuses" (post #528 - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3906558&postcount=528). Hopefully in a few hundred to a couple thousand more miles I will see better numbers. Currently my very best has been an average of 27.7 on a tank. I'll wait on this until later.

III. THE SOUND SYSTEM:
I'm a bit of an audiophile. I noticed the headliner was loose in my vehicle and was causing rattling while listening to the Sony sound system. When I took it in for the shuddering, they ended up keeping the car for an additional three days so they could replace the entire headliner (they had to wait for parts). I've read in here that some folks have had their headliners come unglued. Since mine was replaced, I have not noticed the rattling any longer.

The CD player volume is attenuated considerably lower the radio, Sirius, Bluetooth and USB. While the CD player does have 'Compression' available on it, which does raise the volume levels a bit when engaged, not all CDs sound great being pumped up by compression. I've been able to mitigate this a small bit by upping the levels of bass/mid/treble in the EQ, but of course this affects all audio channels, not just the CD player. The CD output needs to be normalized with the audio level of the other channels. The full output of the CD player can easily be talked over (I find myself often turned all the way up, wanting to go further, but it's just not there when using the CD). It is also majorly annoying when I switch to other audio channels: they boom in way louder than the CD player. The fact that other devices can get much louder is an indication that there is some kind of governing going on in the system. Can this be removed?

IV. SYNC:
I've experienced issues with SYNC since day one. Of course, it is a very complicated computerized system, but there are things that are just not right about it. I am up on the latest/greatest rev of the software (confirmed by Ford's In-Vehicle Technology team at (800)392-4040 -- I have the "house" and "gears" on my home screen, which is apparently the way they know). I did the system reset over the weekend as recommended by FordIVTeam (Jaclyn) in response to liljr's similar issue (post #880 - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4093499&postcount=880), and also reset my iPhone, all to no avail. corpflyboy has just written in above me today that the new software fixed all of his problems (you can do this update yourself by the way, by downloading it from syncmyride to a USB drive and performing it at home while running the car -- could take up to an hour to finish up), but we still experience the wind tunnel effect, making it almost impossible to communicate when I am moving.

A. RESETTING SYNC:
Resetting the SYNC system can be a bit disconcerting:

1. Reset the system, per Jaclyn's instruction.
2. Re-added my iPhone.
3, Downloaded my phone book, and after a minute or two the screen said:

Vehicle Transport Mode Active
-- Please contact your dealership.

4. That was not good, so I turned the car off, and opened the door to shut the SYNC system down.
5. Started the car again, and SYNC came back, reset to defaults (though the FM presets I'd set were retained…). Whew.

I then pressed on, and have some reproducible issues:

B. CD OVERTAKEN BY USB:
I started playing a CD and then plugged in my iPhone to the USB connector. A moment later, the CD stopped and iTunes started playing, and very loudly (as noted above since the audio levels are not normalized between the different devices). Plugging in a USB drive of any sort should not change audio inputs.

C. BLUETOOTH/USB ISSUE:
Post reset, with the iPhone plugged in, the Bluetooth is now listed as 'BTST1' on the Home screen. I'm not sure what that's about, but feels incorrect (might this be a setting somewhere?… I've not set up anything called BTST1). Here is a reproducible issue:

1. Play Bluetooth, song plays from iTunes.
2. Switch to USB, same song continues to play (time continues counting, play button is activated, volume is up), but there is no audio output.
3. Unplug the iPhone, radio comes on, significantly louder than other options…
4. Plug phone in and USB interrupts the radio without being asked for, but plays fine.
5. Switch to Bluetooth, plays fine.
6. Switch to USB, same song continues to play, but as above, there is no audio output.

NOTE: This reproducibility shifted on me again this morning. Now, it plays fine on USB, and when I switch over to Bluetooth, the song will not play (pressing the > engages for a moment, then stops). Always a moving target...

===========

So, sorry for my very first posting to be such a long one, but I thought I would get it all out there as I introduced myself. Thanks for your time and attention. I look forward to being here, and with your help hope I can get all of these issues ironed out with my new Focus.

- shud

#897 ·
Thanks Noemi --

Having read through this entire thread, I am well aware of what you, Natasha and Jaclyn bring to the mix. Still I felt it apropos to write up what is happening with my new Focus in here for others to see. Perhaps someone other than you Ford reps may respond with ideas, etc. In any case, I will follow up with Jaclyn separately regarding the SYNC/MFT issues.

- shud

#898 ·
Thanks Noemi --
Having read through this entire thread, I am well aware of what you, Natasha and Jaclyn bring to the mix. Still I felt it apropos to write up what is happening with my new Focus in here for others to see...
Hello shudder,

You’re very welcome.

Much of the info we provide derives from the compilation of various individuals and departments. So though you may not see individual input from engineers or brand managers, I assure you, my partners and I continuously reach out to multiple individuals in order to provide Focus owners a thorough and complete answer.

If I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me or for that matter my partner Jaclyn. In the meantime, it’s a pleasure to have you on the board.

Take care,

Noemi

#900 ·
Hi Noemi --
My Sent folder is showing (0) messages sent, though I did 'successfully' send Jaclyn a note yesterday... Can you please ask her to check if she has received my note? Thank you...
Hey shudder,

I emailed my partner as requested. Keep a lookout for her hello. [:)]

Take care and let me know if I can assist further.

Noemi

#901 ·
2012 Focus Shudder

I had previously posted about the shudder issue on my 2012 Focus TI HB when taking off from a stop. I have tried several things that others had suggested without any luck. My car shudders when taking off from a stop, but it doesn't really get bad until I have driven it for awhile. On my way to work it isn't that bad (13 miles) but if I have to drive it further (30 miles say) it steadily gets worse. I also noticed on Saturday when I took a 100 mile trip that when I got back home I heard a noise coming from underneath the car when I took off. Usually I have the radio on, but I had turned it off and had the window down. I was hoping that I was hearing things, but Tuesday I had to drive across town and back which is probably 50 miles and needless to say the car was shuddering badly by the time I got home so when I pulled into my neighborhood I turned off the radio and rolled down my window and when I pulled off from the stop sign I heard what sounded like metal to metal scraping coming from underneath the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I figure as soon as I get a chance I will take it into the dealer but if they can't resolve it I guess I will be car shopping again.

#903 ·
I too have noticed the dreaded "shudder" when accelerating from a stop. I also notice when I give it a little more gas right from the start, I don't get the shudder. I am trying to drive to maximize my gas mileage (slow accelerating, coast more to a stop, low highway speed, etc).... I am going to give my Focus some more miles before going to to the dealer about this, it's only got 500 miles on it.
-K

#904 ·
I have the shudder as well, except giving it more gas doesn't seem to help.

Mine also seems to have trouble switching gears, especially going from 0-40. After 40, everything smooths out, but it will still shudder when I stop.

What concerns me the most is sometimes the car jumps forward for a second and then seems to lose power. Really difficult to describe, but definitely annoying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.