2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #41
westgadawg
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94576
What I Drive: 2012 Grey SE

FF Reputation: 1 westgadawg Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I had to make a 3rd return trip to service dept last week. Same issues new tranny started grinding, idle became erratic but the worst thing was when the wife called and the car had shut down again in the middle of traffic again. After discussing the issues again with my service advisor and the dealership owner I no longer own my 2012 Focus. I am now the owner of a 2012 Ford Escape. Am I any better off? Time will tell but right now I have "peace".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #42
Hawk2440
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95039
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 1 Hawk2440 Good Standing Member
Hello,
I'm having the same issue described by others on this post. I bought my Focus end of December and it currently has around 2800 miles on it. I just noticed the grinding noise for the first time the other day when the car shifts out of first gear. It doesn't seem to happen at any other time. The odd thing is, however, it doesn't make the grinding noise all the time. I know I heard it the other day, as I drove around the neighborhood to verify it was happening. But on the way to and from work today I didn't hear anything. Has anyone else experienced this? Its been causing me a bit of anxiety, as this is the first new car I have purchased and I've really enjoyed the car thus far. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #43
howelljw
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97574
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Focus

FF Reputation: 1 howelljw Good Standing Member
@ Hawk 2440

That's my problem, exactly, although it sounds like yours had a longer grace period. I drove to work today, noticed that the transmission was more sluggish/halting than normal, and when I got to my office I heard the gravelly, rock-tumbler type noise when the car was moving from first to second gear. I parked the car, called the dealership, and found this forum. When I drove home: no noise. The transmission still felt a bit sluggish, but the gravelly rasp was gone.

I'm anxious about it too. I went from being overjoyed about the purchase to terrified about the future of my ownership within the span of a day.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #44
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by howelljw View Post
So I've had my 2012 Ford Focus for less than two weeks--and just over 400 miles--and as of this morning I'm having the same issue with the transmission grinding. Are there any updates on the matter?...
Hello

to the forum!

There is a recommended break-in period of 1000 miles as stated on page 5 of the Owner Manual. Some Focus owners have experienced a smoothing out of vehicle as time went by. However, if you like, please make an appointment with your dealer and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgadawg View Post
...After discussing the issues again with my service advisor and the dealership owner I no longer own my 2012 Focus. I am now the owner of a 2012 Ford Escape....
Hello westgadawg,

I'm sorry to hear about this and would like to thank you for your loyalty to Ford Motor Company. Please don't hesitate to contact me for assistance in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk2440 View Post
I'm having the same issue described by others on this post. I bought my Focus end of December and it currently has around 2800 miles on it. I just noticed the grinding noise for the first time the other day when the car shifts out of first gear....
Hey Hawk2440,

I’m available to help by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to lend a hand, please send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and the VIN.

Thanks,

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 04-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #45
howelljw
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97574
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Focus

FF Reputation: 1 howelljw Good Standing Member
Thanks

Thanks to Noemi for remaining present in this forum. I'm more than happy to wait out the break-in period, and I will let you know if I need assistance in the future. So far, my dealership has been accommodating and reassuring, so we'll see.

That said, the question that remains, for me, is the following: has anyone who's had the "my car intermittently sounds and feels like there's gravel in the transmission" found that the (putative) problem resolves after the 1000-mile break-in period? It seems that there's a rather broad severity range... Any thoughts would be welcome, as I'm trying to find some grounds for having confidence in the car at the moment.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #46
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by howelljw View Post
Thanks to Noemi for remaining present in this forum. I'm more than happy to wait out the break-in period, and I will let you know if I need assistance in the future. So far, my dealership has been accommodating and reassuring, so we'll see...
Hello howelljw,

Thank you for the compliment! My partners and I enjoy assisting Focus owners as best we can.

Take care and don't hesitate to shoot me a PM when you desire the assistance of the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Noemi

Old 04-18-2012, 05:45 AM   #47
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'd like to add a note about driving techniques in here. I don't have one of these cars, but I have found through discussions on this forum that you will experience shudder and other noises if you drive this car like a torque converter automatic. Think of this car's transmission as an automatic shifting manual transmission. If you've ever driven a manual transmission, then you know that you don't let out on the clutch and idle around even in 1st gear. Some shudder problems have been solved by changing driving technique: don't take your foot off the brake and not put it on the accelerator, and avoid creeping accelerations. We had one FF from NJ who had some issues with her transmission, and the cure was to drive like a teenager for a while. I'm not encouraging spinning out everywhere, but don't by shy on the accelerator. That helps the clutches wear in, and once worn in you can drive slower with the exception of avoiding idling around in gear, or sitting with your foot off the brake and not on the accelerator.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #48
2012Focus2012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97899
What I Drive: 2014,Ingot Silver, Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 2012Focus2012 Good Standing Member
Transmission Gravely Sound

I have owned my 2012 Focus since last September. It's production date was late August. Regarding the grinding noise from the transmission I can relate to the gravely sound that occurs for me, oddly, only after I have driven on 1 particular road. The road terrain is hilly, 25mph or less curves, and is generally a road with top speed of 40mph. Driving on this road involves acceleration to go up a hill and slowing down to take a curve and then accelerating to go up a hill or braking to go down a hill. It is after I have driven on this road which is 10miles long and start driving again on a highway that involves traffic lights is when I hear the noise. When I leave the traffic light do I hear the noise but once past 2nd gear I do not hear the noise for 3-6. This is the only time I hear the noise, all of my other driving, which is light and heavy traffic, and highway driving, I never hear the noise and the transmission works fine. At 5000 miles the check engine light came on and the dealer re-flashed the computer module. The upate did not change or stop the noise after driving on that 1 road. Now have 8000 miles and the transmission is fine except for after driving on that 1 road the noise comes back. After the car sits for a while the noise is gone, but if the car only sits for say 30 minutes the noies is still there. Now is there something going on when there are many upshifts and down shifts in a short distance, I don't know. What about heat issues? I've driven the car for 300miles at 70 mph non stop and had no noise with the transmission when starting out after a stop. I hope that all of this doesn't mean that sometime in the future that the transmission will fail.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #49
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Focus2012 View Post
I have owned my 2012 Focus since last September. It's production date was late August. Regarding the grinding noise from the transmission I can relate to the gravely sound that occurs for me, oddly, only after I have driven on 1 particular road....
Hello 2012Focus2012,

Welcome to the forum!

Since youíve taken the Focus to the local Ford dealer, letís see if the Customer Service Manager for your area can provide assistance. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can begin the escalation process.

Take care!

Noemi

Old 04-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #50
Josiah
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97975
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 Josiah Good Standing Member
Uh oh

Well, my focus is about a month old, with 1200 miles on it and I am experiencing the rock tumbler noise when switching from 1st to 2nd. Otherwise the car runs well once you get used to the manual style of the transmission.

So does this mean I am grinding up parts of the tranny and it's only a matter of time before something gives out? Is this some sort of burn in for the car? It's my first automatic, and I already regret not getting the manual.

Also, do the dealers generally give a loaner car if the focus will be in service for a few days?

Bookmarks & Social Networks