DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 99 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #981
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
You know I accepted that at face value from you guys a while back but I found this on Ford's media site. Doesn't seem to jive.

From: http://media.ford.com/article_displa...rticle_id=2574

Adaptive Transmission Control (ATC)

What it is: The Adaptive Transmission Control system recognizes individual styles of driving (e.g., aggressive vs. Relaxed) and adapts transmission shift parameters accordingly. Two types of ATC are adaptive shift-scheduling and adaptive shift-quality control. Adaptive shift scheduling uses information to assess driving style and decides when to upshift or downshift. It also can identify uphill or downhill gradients and recognize hard cornering. This helps inhibit shifts that might be annoying to the driver or affect vehicle stability. Adaptive shift-quality control uses information about the vehicle or environment, such as changes in the transmission due to wear, to improve the quality of shifts. This system can also adjust shift smoothness to suit driving style (e.g., crisper shifts for aggressive driving or smoother shifts for normal driving). How it works: Adaptive Shift Scheduling uses a microprocessor to read signals from various sensors. It uses a complex algorithm and ongoing memory to decide when to shift. For example, high lateral acceleration during cornering may prevent shifting even if the accelerator is suddenly depressed or released. This helps avoid potential loss of tire grip due to load reversal. Shift points can be based on calibration curves in memory. Adaptive shift-quality control adjusts parameters that affect the speed and smoothness of the shift by interpreting data, including driveline feedback from various sensors, as well as post shift parameters. Customer benefit: Improves shift consistency and transmission durability and allows for shifting that is better suited to specific driver styles or operating conditions. Ford status: Available on many North American vehicles.
This seems to apply to Ford automatic transmissions in general. Do we know that it is installed on Focus DCTs, too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #982
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
This seems to apply to Ford automatic transmissions in general. Do we know that it is installed on Focus DCTs, too?
Well we know the DCTs have "ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY." Which is one of the two functions of "Adaptive Transmission Control." The question is does the DCT's adaptive strategy leave off the second function of the Adaptive Transmission Control found on unnamed Ford automatics (e.g. learning of driving habits)? Can't find anything concrete on that.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #983
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
You know I accepted that at face value from you guys a while back but I found this on Ford's media site. Doesn't seem to jive.

From: http://media.ford.com/article_displa...rticle_id=2574

Adaptive Transmission Control (ATC)

What it is: The Adaptive Transmission Control system recognizes individual styles of driving (e.g., aggressive vs. Relaxed) and adapts transmission shift parameters accordingly. Two types of ATC are adaptive shift-scheduling and adaptive shift-quality control. Adaptive shift scheduling uses information to assess driving style and decides when to upshift or downshift. It also can identify uphill or downhill gradients and recognize hard cornering. This helps inhibit shifts that might be annoying to the driver or affect vehicle stability. Adaptive shift-quality control uses information about the vehicle or environment, such as changes in the transmission due to wear, to improve the quality of shifts. This system can also adjust shift smoothness to suit driving style (e.g., crisper shifts for aggressive driving or smoother shifts for normal driving). How it works: Adaptive Shift Scheduling uses a microprocessor to read signals from various sensors. It uses a complex algorithm and ongoing memory to decide when to shift. For example, high lateral acceleration during cornering may prevent shifting even if the accelerator is suddenly depressed or released. This helps avoid potential loss of tire grip due to load reversal. Shift points can be based on calibration curves in memory. Adaptive shift-quality control adjusts parameters that affect the speed and smoothness of the shift by interpreting data, including driveline feedback from various sensors, as well as post shift parameters. Customer benefit: Improves shift consistency and transmission durability and allows for shifting that is better suited to specific driver styles or operating conditions. Ford status: Available on many North American vehicles.
So far I'm not seeing the "customer benefit" of improved transmission durability (not when that grinding noise happens!), but the DCT is by and large smoother - save for when the grinding occurs. Then it's anything but smooth. (And it's inconsistent, making me believe the system legitimately is adaptive.)

But, and I've yet to do my own research to confirm, if the same design is used in Europe and they don't have people clamoring over problems, all things being equal, what are the differences in the US side... and why were they made since it suggests any US-centric changes are (likely) behind these problems...
Old 04-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #984
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused1 View Post
So far I'm not seeing the "customer benefit" of improved transmission durability (not when that grinding noise happens!), but the DCT is by and large smoother - save for when the grinding occurs. Then it's anything but smooth. (And it's inconsistent, making me believe the system legitimately is adaptive.)

But, and I've yet to do my own research to confirm, if the same design is used in Europe and they don't have people clamoring over problems, all things being equal, what are the differences in the US side... and why were they made since it suggests any US-centric changes are (likely) behind these problems...
I believe Ford/Getrag's DCT was around in Europe since the '08 Focus, but it was a wet clutch version. Our dry clutch version was first introduced in the '11 Fiesta in the US in mid '10 - and it was very problemmatic in that car as well. That's the first place I would look in trying to figure out why Europe's version is fine (if indeed it is) and ours is problemmatic (for some...)
Old 04-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #985
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../10musog3e.pdf (see page 204)
Old 04-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #986
danyall2010
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89399
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 danyall2010 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
I cannot get access to it!
Old 04-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #987
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyall2010 View Post
I cannot get access to it!
You can try this instead:

http://www.manualowl.com/am/Ford/201.../1342?page=204
Old 04-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #988
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Pretty much the same as the Focus's manual (below). Doesn't seem to shed any light on the subject.

When the battery is disconnected or a new battery is installed, the
automatic transmission must relearn its shift strategy. As a result, the
transmission may have firm and/or soft shifts. This operation is
considered normal and will not affect function or durability of the
transmission. Over time, the adaptive learning process will fully update
transmission operation.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #989
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

The adaptive learning for the DPS6 has 4 parts:

1) Transmission range sensor (the TR sensor detects the position of the control lever).
2) Positioning of the shift drums.
3) Clutch engagement.
4) Drive cycle.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #990
PrideSax711
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97050
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 PrideSax711 Good Standing Member
About how long does it take for the DCT to learn all this?

Bookmarks & Social Networks