2012 Ford Focus Warm / Hot weather suspension clunk (not there in cold weather) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
Gizmobiaritz
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96043
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Gizmobiaritz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 Ford Focus Warm / Hot weather suspension clunk (not there in cold weather)

Hello Everybody,

I am aware that there are several complains and posts on this forum about clunking front end on this car, however it seems that many owners have had different solutions work for them and that there is no universal fix.

I am also aware that there is a TSB for the struts and strut bearings (this common fix, judging by what people say on the forums, DOES NOT fix anything).

Overall my experience with FORD dealers here in Canada is becoming a nightmare (went to the dealer Friday to show them clanking noise – they did not even want to drive the car, told me to come back next week – problem is weather deteriorated and you cannot hear the clunk any longer).

I called FORD Canada customer support to show them pictures of my oil leak – cannot send them the pictures they do not want to take them, they tell me to go to the dealer – I went to the dealer, the dealer looked at the pictures for 1 second told me to remind them about it at next oil change, in one year).

My dealer does not know anything about the TSB’s so I cannot get my transmission firmware updated and every time I want to ask them a question they tell me “Leave the car here for a day” – this is not always possible, plus I do not want repairs done, I just want to ask a question.

Has anybody on this forum found a good FORD dealer in the Toronto area that will help you service your 2012 Focus ? I hear Younge Stills is the largest dealer in Toronto. Has anybody had experience with them?

My Clanking noise:

2012 Ford Focus Titanium with the 18 inch wheels Sport Package, PowerShift, 8 months old, 8,000 kilometers.

When I back the car up in the driveway and the front wheels pass the driveway curb there is a very noticeable clunk. Not noticeable if I drive forward over the same curb. When I drive slowly over uneven roads there is a noticeable clunk (especially over bums that produce a sudden change in elevation) and when I break from 60 to 70 kilometers an hour a little brisker – the cars weight is shifted to the front – there is a clunk. When I turn the steering left to right there is a small amount of squeaking, but I think it is from the interior or trim pieces – not sure.

Is sounds exactly like an antiroll bar or stabilizer bar link, could also be the rear engine mount.

This noise is very noticeable in hot weather 25 degrees Celsius and up. In cold weather 15 degrees Celsius or lower it is not there at all 100%.

This is defiantly a bushing related problem; I just do not know which one. Has anybody with this problem found a fix?

Generally when I go to the dealer, I want to talk to them and ask what they think before they proceed with a repair as I do not want the car to be taken apart pointlessly and parts changed for no reason. So far the dealer does not seem to care.

I really wish I could ask a certified FORD service Supervisor from the customer service department some questions to get a qualified idea – Not possible in Canada, is it really that hard to talk to person from FORD (and not the dealer).

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
allyy

Fan#: 95236
What I Drive: 2012 focus

FF Reputation: -3 allyy Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Take it to a diffrent dealer ,diffrent people working there may be what is going to fix it.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
Gizmobiaritz
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Hello,

Unfortunately in Canada and especially Toronto there really are not that many dealers. Also when going to any of them - they all close at 5 Pm and a very few are opened on Saturday - even if they are opened after 5Pm all senior staff leaves at 5Pm - I need to take a day off. This is a very tiring process.

This is the reason why I am now appealing to the community to see what experience others had with their dealers.

Thank you.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
Gizmobiaritz
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Anybody ?
Old 03-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

Points 1,491, Level 21
Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmobiaritz View Post
When I drive slowly over uneven roads there is a noticeable clunk (especially over bums that produce a sudden change in elevation) and when I break from 60 to 70 kilometers an hour a little brisker the cars weight is shifted to the front there is a clunk.

This noise is very noticeable in hot weather 25 degrees Celsius and up. In cold weather 15 degrees Celsius or lower it is not there at all 100%.
OK, first of all, you shouldn't be driving over bums. I don't care if it is their fault for being in the road. Hopefully you realize I'm just kidding!

Interesting comment on the temp thing though. I noticed the clunk a few times pulling out of the work parking lot and a few other places back when I first got the car (August) but it certainly wasn't consistent. I have not heard it in a few months but it has been winter. I'm going to have to pay attention as the weather warms up.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,143, Level 34
Points: 3,143, Level: 34 Points: 3,143, Level: 34 Points: 3,143, Level: 34
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
...I called FORD Canada customer support to show them pictures of my oil leak cannot send them the pictures they do not want to take them, they tell me to go to the dealer I went to the dealer, the dealer looked at the pictures for 1 second told me to remind them about it at next oil change, in one year)...
Hi Gizmobiaritz,

Lets see what I can do from my end; please PM your VIN, phone number, mileage, and dealer information. I'll contact my counterpart in Canada about your concern.

Thanks,

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 04-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
Gizmobiaritz
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi Gizmobiaritz,

Lets see what I can do from my end; please PM your VIN, phone number, mileage, and dealer information. I'll contact my counterpart in Canada about your concern.

Thanks,

Noemi
Hello Noemi,

I have sent you the requested information.

Thank you.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,143, Level 34
Points: 3,143, Level: 34 Points: 3,143, Level: 34 Points: 3,143, Level: 34
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Hello Noemi,

I have sent you the requested information.

Thank you.
Hey Gizmobiaritz,

I will forward your concern as soon as I can.

Thanks,

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 04-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
Gizmobiaritz
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Thank you Noemi
Old 04-19-2012, 12:53 AM   #10
chrisdh79
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85037
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 chrisdh79 Good Standing Member
I had this issue when I had my car for about 3 months. I took it in when I got my transmission software update, and they replaced the sway bar end links. That seemed to do the trick. I haven't heard any noise sense then.

I dont understand why Ford hasn't released a recall on the titanium sport packages. That seems to be where the issue is with alot of people.

Bookmarks & Social Networks