Strange front end high/low wobble/humming sound - Page 12 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #111
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93807
What I Drive: 2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport Auto FWD

FF Reputation: 1 ruthrj Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy

Can't believe we've reached this milestone....

Tomorrow the car will have spent 15 days total in the shop and it will be getting its third repair. The parts didn't arrive today at the service dealer, but should arrive tomorrow. As the shop is open later until 7pm, the car should have the intermediate bearings installed and ready to go before they close.

For now, I'm preparing a vehicle defect notification form and will be sending that in on Wednesday should the vibration not be gone after this fix. According to Florida's Lemon Law, this notification form must be sent to Ford once the car has had 3 repairs for one issue or when the car has spent 15 days out of service. Lucky me, my car meets two of those criteria *facepalm*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #112
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90069
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jimmyt Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthrj View Post
Can't believe we've reached this milestone....

Tomorrow the car will have spent 15 days total in the shop and it will be getting its third repair. The parts didn't arrive today at the service dealer, but should arrive tomorrow. As the shop is open later until 7pm, the car should have the intermediate bearings installed and ready to go before they close.

For now, I'm preparing a vehicle defect notification form and will be sending that in on Wednesday should the vibration not be gone after this fix. According to Florida's Lemon Law, this notification form must be sent to Ford once the car has had 3 repairs for one issue or when the car has spent 15 days out of service. Lucky me, my car meets two of those criteria *facepalm*
Sorry to hear you are having soooo much trouble! Mine is still fixed by installing the new part number bearings, not onesfrom the old stock.

I was out of touch for a while as I had a heart attack and was in the hosptal and rehab for abut 6 weeks. Keep me up to date on what is happening. Oh, by the way, I ordered magnatic 24x18 inch lemons for my front doors but guess what someone stole them. After the fix I don't need them anyway.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #113
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

Oh my god, sorry to hear about the heart attack! Wishing you an ongoing speedy recovery

That's a shame about the lemons. The thought of cruising around Central Florida with a pair of those on my car makes me smile. I'm not 100% to that point yet, but then again I didn't have to go through half the trouble that you did. It took 1000's of miles and many months for your issue to get fixed. Luckily, the way Ford Customer Service and the service manager have handled my vehicle's situation has been commendable after my first visit, and I can honestly say that I don't believe the issues with my car are anybody's fault.

But then again, I might be ordering myself some lemon's depending on the result of tomorrow's repair
Old 04-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #114
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

They attempted the third fix today. Didn't work. The service manager wasn't happy with it according to the service representative. They want to hold onto the car another day and the Field Service Engineer is going to look at it tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm sending in my defect notification today. I won't allow any other repairs to be done on the car until I get a return receipt notification from Ford about that defect notification.

Going to call Ford Customer Service today and let them know that. Tired of my car being a guinea pig, it's time for a refund or replacement after the next repair.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #115
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90069
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jimmyt Good Standing Member
Quote:
They attempted the third fix today. Didn't work. The service manager wasn't happy with it according to the service representative. They want to hold onto the car another day and the Field Service Engineer is going to look at it tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm sending in my defect notification today. I won't allow any other repairs to be done on the car until I get a return receipt notification from Ford about that defect notification.

Going to call Ford Customer Service today and let them know that. Tired of my car being a guinea pig, it's time for a refund or replacement after the next repair.
Sounds reasonable to me. Boy is FORD getting bad press about this!!! If, as a prepective buyer, I knew these things I would look elsewhere. Headliners falling down, MFT's gong out and these front breaing noises, oil leaks ect. FORD FOCUS would be off my list. I bet it brngs down the resale of mine when I am ready to move on. Any idea what you will look for when you get everything resolved? My neighbor has a 2011 Fusion they love.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #116
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

I have no idea what else I'd get... I did a lot of research into the features of the Focus and found them to be superior to other makes for the price. I read about the transmission issue, but found that it was likely fixed by the recent update. That was enough to make me feel it was going to be a good reliable purchase. Now I don't know where to start!

Here's the thing for me though. I just signed a contract on a new home purchase, and its going to be constructed and ready to close sometime around September. I'm worried that buying another car may hurt my chances of securing a mortgage when I close on the home. I have credit inquiries from when I purchased the car in December, an inquiry from when I got pre approved for a loan on another home from a couple months ago (deal fell through), and now I'll have an inquiry from this new home purchase. I'm consulting my mortgage consultant to see if my credit would be able to take another hit from another car purchase due to the first being a lemon, and still secure a mortgage. If it can't, I'll vouch for a replacement vehicle instead of a refund : (
Old 04-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #117
5jschiavones
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96821
What I Drive: 2012 Frosted Glass Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 5jschiavones Good Standing Member
Angry

You shouldn't have to purchase another vehicle. At this point, I think the lemon law states they need to replace the vehicle with another vehicle or refund your money. Then you could get another car somewhere else. I am really close to filing a lemon law claim against ford. I am being very patient waiting to hear back from Mother Ford and my dealer about what to do next. I told them I love the car and everything about it but the noise. I am willing to take a replacement vehicle just like mine but I am not going to trade this in for another. I want them to replace it with same cost and mileage if necessary. I don't even have 6,000 miles on it.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #118
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

I'd prefer the refund so I wouldn't have to risk going through this again with another Focus, and since I'd be losing my car I'd need to purchase another one

I'm not sure what state you live in, so check your Lemon Law. In Florida, if the car has had 3 attempted fixes and/or it has been in the shop (out of service) for 15 days, you must send a Vehicle Defect Notification to the manufacturer. Your state will likely provide a generic one online with instructions on how to send it. Florida says to fill one out, make 2 copies. Send one copy to the manufacturer certified mail with a return receipt requested, and send another copy regular mail to the Attorney General of Florida. Hold on to the third for your own reference. I did exactly this today. However, it may have been unnecessary

The dealership called today around 5:30 pm. The FSE had been fiddling with the car since noon. The service rep was calling to claim that they have isolated and potentially resolved the problem. They isolated the noise to one side of the rear of the car. They swapped the wheels and tires on the car from another vehicle, and voila, the vibration is gone.....

I can't help but wonder that if this is true, why in god's name was that not done from the very beginning? The very first thing that I asked the first time I dropped the car off was, "Hey, are the wheels out of balance? Is the alignment off? Could it be the wheel bearings?" Their way of checking if something was wrong was to rotate the wheels and go for a test drive. Hum still there. Maybe known good wheels and tires should have been used, ya think? NAH, let's throw over $1000 worth of parts at it and make the customer come back to the godforsaken service department FIVE times over the span of nearly 2 months.

They are ordering a new wheel or tire, whichever they think was bad. I'll get a call back tomorrow after they install it. I don't know what else to say.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #119
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
...the way Ford Customer Service and the service manager have handled my vehicle's situation has been commendable after my first visit, and I can honestly say that I don't believe the issues with my car are anybody's fault...
Quote:
...The dealership called today around 5:30 pm. The FSE had been fiddling with the car since noon. The service rep was calling to claim that they have isolated and potentially resolved the problem....
They are ordering a new wheel or tire, whichever they think was bad. I'll get a call back tomorrow after they install it. I don't know what else to say.
Hi ruthrj,

Thank you for keeping us up to date. If you need further assistance from my end, please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyt View Post
...I was out of touch for a while as I had a heart attack and was in the hosptal and rehab for abut 6 weeks....
Hello jimmyt,

I would like to add my, get well soon, along with ruthrj's. Take care of yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5jschiavones View Post
...Already speaking with csr at ford. field service Rep spent two days working on my car at my dealers...I really love this car but the noise is driving me crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5jschiavones View Post
got car back - noise still there. The dealership states it is a wind noise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrick777 View Post
I am having the same problem and the dealer checked their computers and said there was nothing noted by Ford about the noise problem...
Hey 5jschiavones & rrrick777,

I’m available to help by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to lend a hand, please send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and the VIN.

Thanks,

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 04-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #120
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

Hi Noemi,

Thanks for visiting us again. I don't mean any offense, but the way my quotes were pulled out of context makes it look like these last 2 months has been a great experience from start to finish. Service manager was very personable, customer service has been fantastic. I may finally get my car back without an annoying vibration everywhere I drive. However, the troubleshooting used to diagnose the problem has been abyssmal. I will never visit this dealership to have work done on my car again. I simply don't trust their mechanics. I wouldn't trust them with the brake job that my 2005 Focus needs, and I wouldn't trust them with an oil change on my 2012 Focus.

I'm not a mechanic, but I do have a physics degree. Given a rotational vibration noise at certain speeds, the first thing that should be checked would be wheels and tires by checking balance or alignment. Something out of whack is causing resonance. It would be the cheapest and easiest solution. Instead, the service department shunned me at the start. I then had to go straight to the service manager (who is a very good people person, not a mechanic), I got Ford Customer Service involved, and I 100% believe the escalation caused the small cheap fixes to be overlooked. We went straight to swapping parts because nobody wanted to do the basic troubleshooting.

Again, this is all assuming that a wheel or tire is truly bad. Today I'll find out. I still believe that the problem with my car was nobody's fault. Nobody threw a bad tire or wheel on there to ruin my experience with the vehicle. Crap happens But I won't be filling out a customer survey for the service dealer, trust me nobody would want to read that.

I'll let you all know how this goes.

Bookmarks & Social Networks