Auto-Dimming Mirror - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
-sokO
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93367
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 -sokO Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So I just installed a Gentex K2a Auto Dimming Mirror 79$ shipped from Amazon on my 12' Focus. Install took around 45minutes. I snaked 2 tiny wires around the passenger side headliner, then around the a-frame plastic under the airbag, and down the passenger side weather stripping to the fuse box below the glove box. There is a vertical bolt attached to the frame to the left front of the fuse box if you look up and the circle connector on the wiring fit the bolt perfectly to use for the grounding wire. Then I used an Add a Fuse on Fuse #85 which is a 7.5a fuse to attach the 12v wire(bare in mind the auto dimming mirror draws very little power). Attached mirror, plugged it in, and it works perfect.

Btw, the auto dimming mirror directions wanted me to use a vampire connector on a 12v wire but I decided add a fuse was the better route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
TonyAKAMrClean
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96571
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 TonyAKAMrClean Good Standing Member
I have the auto dimming mirror and I can tell you, I wish it had an on-off switch. When cops are parked around here, they won't pull out for you going 5-9mph over the limit, but if they're behind you they'll pull you over for it. The mirror is so dark that when it dims, you can't see anything but the headlights, so when someone's behind you, you have no idea what kind of car it is. Kind of annoying. I think I'm going to figure out a way to cover up the sensor to turn mine on and off.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90069
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jimmyt Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAKAMrClean View Post
I have the auto dimming mirror and I can tell you, I wish it had an on-off switch. When cops are parked around here, they won't pull out for you going 5-9mph over the limit, but if they're behind you they'll pull you over for it. The mirror is so dark that when it dims, you can't see anything but the headlights, so when someone's behind you, you have no idea what kind of car it is. Kind of annoying. I think I'm going to figure out a way to cover up the sensor to turn mine on and off.
Easy solution, don't speed!
Old 04-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #14
TonyAKAMrClean
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96571
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 TonyAKAMrClean Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyt View Post
Easy solution, don't speed!
Hah! Fair enough. Even still I'm not here for tips on how to drive. I don't consider less than 10 over speeding, neither do the cops. Even if they pull you over for it they'll only give you a warning. Most everyone here drives the same speeds I do. All that aside, just felt the need to share my thoughts on the titanium auto-dimming mirror. It needs an on/off swtch or a sensitivity setting.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #15
-sokO
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93367
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 -sokO Good Standing Member
The one I installed has a on/off. That's crazy you cant turn the OEM one on / off. I wish I could get side dimming mirrors also, my eyes are sensitive.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #16
HoneyBadger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104860
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 HoneyBadger Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by -sokO View Post
The one I installed has a on/off. That's crazy you cant turn the OEM one on / off. I wish I could get side dimming mirrors also, my eyes are sensitive.
Was anyone able to find out if there is a plug for the auto dim mirror? I have an SEL model and I know I could have had the option. I just don't know for sure if ford does all the wiring in case an option is added. Otherwise I would do the add a fuse part BUT I would also be wiring a radar detector so I don't know how many open fuses turn on with the car.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #17
thejordan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107706
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 3 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'm pretty sure there is a harness going up passenger A pillar to the headliners. it should be glued down. use a multimeter to check.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #18
Flybigrc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103155
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Flybigrc Good Standing Member
So has anyone had this Gentex mirror with the garage door opener installed by the dealer? If so how much was it? I wish it came on my ST, seems like a bit of a ripoff that it did not considering the cost of the ST.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #19
HoneyBadger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104860
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 HoneyBadger Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybigrc View Post
So has anyone had this Gentex mirror with the garage door opener installed by the dealer? If so how much was it? I wish it came on my ST, seems like a bit of a ripoff that it did not considering the cost of the ST.
I would just call and ask. Might be close to $250.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #20
JasDmw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105501
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Ti Hatch Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 1 JasDmw Good Standing Member
I just had a GENK40 gentex autodimming mirror with homelink installed yesterday. Used my dealers recommended aftermarket electrical install shop. Unfortunately, the autodimming function is not working. Also, whenever I press one of the 3 buttons to activate a garage door, the 4 way flashers come on! Pressing one of the buttons again turns them off. Anyone else with this type of aftermarket install have this issue? Note that I did get the homelink to work fine to open my 2 garage doors. Am using the 3rd, unused homelink button for shutting off the 4 ways. Do intend on taking the car back to that shop, but am looking for some insight first. The installer says he works on many new fords and the 5 wires in there were a piece of cake for him. Obviously not, unless the mirror is flawed.

Bookmarks & Social Networks