TSB 12-02-17 - Steering issue - New TSB? - Page 10 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #91
dcinnc
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96223
What I Drive: 2012 Sedan SEL Platinum White

FF Reputation: 1 dcinnc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpartmgr View Post
Yeah they said they had the mounting hardware also. Was yours gone so long because they forgot to order all the parts?
I don't believe they forgot to order all the parts, rather that the bolts were on back order and currently are for several of us on here..
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #92
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89089
What I Drive: 2013 Mustang GHIG V6 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 forceflow2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcinnc View Post
I don't believe they forgot to order all the parts, rather that the bolts were on back order and currently are for several of us on here..
My best guess is the backorder since the only information I have from my dealership is "they'll be in tomorrow." I'm fairly certain the TSB lists exactly what parts are needed so it seems unlikely they forgot them. I'm not sure how the system works, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a "click to order these TSB parts" button or something.
Reacquired by Ford under Lemon Law 01/16/13.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #93
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89089
What I Drive: 2013 Mustang GHIG V6 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 forceflow2 Good Standing Member
Well, received another call today. They stated they did get the bolts in and installed the new equipment, but now my car is throwing an error stating that the "Steering Angle Sensor" needs to be replaced. They asked me if I wanted to take it for the weekend or leave it with them. Didn't want to drive around in something I had no faith in staying on the road so I told them I would pick it up on Monday after they install the new thing and make sure it doesn't explode. So...that's nice.
Reacquired by Ford under Lemon Law 01/16/13.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #94
Chaos09
Sonic Crew #09

Fan#: 95090
What I Drive: Slammed S-10

Points 7,879, Level 59
Points: 7,879, Level: 59 Points: 7,879, Level: 59 Points: 7,879, Level: 59
Level Up 65% Completed
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 Chaos09 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
Well, received another call today. They stated they did get the bolts in and installed the new equipment, but now my car is throwing an error stating that the "Steering Angle Sensor" needs to be replaced. They asked me if I wanted to take it for the weekend or leave it with them. Didn't want to drive around in something I had no faith in staying on the road so I told them I would pick it up on Monday after they install the new thing and make sure it doesn't explode. So...that's nice.
The same thing happened to mine. It sucks having to wait on ford.
Sonic's MK3 Crew #9 Chaos!
Old 04-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #95
dcinnc
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96223
What I Drive: 2012 Sedan SEL Platinum White

FF Reputation: 1 dcinnc Good Standing Member
Received call this afternoon and Ford dealer has my bolts in...Taking it in Monday morning...
Old 04-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #96
angelicchaos
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85975
What I Drive: 2012 race red SEL Focus

FF Reputation: 1 angelicchaos Good Standing Member
I was just at my local dealership and asked about the steering TSB...He checked his list and it did not come up..The only one was "Stiff Steering on start up"..Then he told me dealerships in the US.will usually get all the TSB reports long before canada will eg.. MFT update mailouts...He said if there is one it will certainly come here eventually... "sighs" .. twiddles thumbs and patiently waits for fixes....
Old 04-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #97
Pretherius
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97062
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan 5-Spd Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 Pretherius Good Standing Member
I've had my SE sedan on 16" steelies for about 3 weeks and I'm finding it very difficult to get used to the steering, wondering if I have this issue or not.

My build date is December 2011.

The thing is, I've been driving Gen 4 Tauruses (a 2002 and a 2004) exclusively for like 8 years, so maybe I'm just having trouble getting used to the electric power steering?

With the Taurus, as long as your alignment was good, that thing would hold a straight path for half a mile on level highway, and you could EASILY move the steering wheel a fraction of a millimeter to compensate if you got a little off track.

This new Focus has incredibly touchy steering. I find that I have to push relatively hard to actually make the wheel move, but it's so touchy that even applying -pressure- to the steering wheel (not even enough to make it move) can change the direction of the car. I'm having to *constantly* make adjustments to my steering, but this isn't just at freeway speeds, it happens at 60mph or 45 mph or 30 mph. It seems to take a lot more force to budge the wheel on the Focus, and very tiny adjustments create a huge impact in your direction.

How do you guys feel about this? Is it just me?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #98
xpartmgr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96709
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 xpartmgr Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretherius View Post
I've had my SE sedan on 16" steelies for about 3 weeks and I'm finding it very difficult to get used to the steering, wondering if I have this issue or not.

My build date is December 2011.

The thing is, I've been driving Gen 4 Tauruses (a 2002 and a 2004) exclusively for like 8 years, so maybe I'm just having trouble getting used to the electric power steering?

With the Taurus, as long as your alignment was good, that thing would hold a straight path for half a mile on level highway, and you could EASILY move the steering wheel a fraction of a millimeter to compensate.

This new Focus has incredibly touchy steering. I find that I have to push relatively hard to actually make the wheel move, but it's so touchy that even applying -pressure- to the steering wheel (not even enough to make it move) can change the direction of the car. I'm having to *constantly* make adjustments to my steering, but this isn't just at freeway speeds, it happens at 60mph or 45 mph or 30 mph.

Not sure what you are describing is the same as mine. I get a "wobble" at highway speeds. It feels like there are wind gusts pushing the car around even though there is no wind. It can be very unnerving. If you are getting this issue, contact your dealer right away and ask them to fix it.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #99
Pretherius
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97062
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan 5-Spd Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 Pretherius Good Standing Member
Hmm, yeah, that does sound different.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #100
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87186
What I Drive: 1985 Moto Guzzi T5 850 NT

FF Reputation: 1 Eurofordfan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretherius View Post
This new Focus has incredibly touchy steering. I find that I have to push relatively hard to actually make the wheel move, but it's so touchy that even applying -pressure- to the steering wheel (not even enough to make it move) can change the direction of the car. I'm having to *constantly* make adjustments to my steering, but this isn't just at freeway speeds, it happens at 60mph or 45 mph or 30 mph. It seems to take a lot more force to budge the wheel on the Focus, and very tiny adjustments create a huge impact in your direction.

Sounds exactly like the improperly set steering centre position sensor problem (from the steering gear manufacturing plant) for which there is a TSB. The EPAS is fighting you, about the centre position... I suspect it feels like there is a detent, or an about-centre force or a roughness / higher force evident about-centre. So, it is hard to move it off-centre, but once the steering "gives way", you've pushed it too far (and it veers off) and you have to correct the car's course, in the opposite direction. And of course, then, you face the exact-same issue, in the opposite direction. So the car moves from steering left to steering right, and back and forth and back and forth, all of the way down the road. Folks have said it is downright exhausting to keep doing this, all of the way down the road, for any distance.

Apparently this action is not always evident at lower speeds, or it is not always evident until some time at speed has occurred.

If this is what you are feeling, you need a new steering rack, c/w an assortment of bolts -- all detailed in the TSB.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.