Need Help - wiring connectors in front door jambs - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Need Help - wiring connectors in front door jambs

Is anyone familiar with removing or at least accessing the door wiring connectors on the left and right front door jambs on 1st generation focus '00-'07? These connectors are part of the dash harness. The wiring inside the door is is easily changed out to upgrade to power accessories, so that's not my issue.

Do you have to remove the dashboard to gain access to the male connectors to the doors on the dash wiring harness? I was hoping it has some sort of clip that would allow me to release the connector from the door jamb hole and pull it back into the dash/jamb of the car for disassembly or modification.

The problem I'm having is my car is not wired from the factory for power locks, power mirrors or power windows. The stupid right and left front door connectors only have 2 wires for the speakers. All the other wires and amp connector pins are missing. I'd like to add power accessories to the existing connectors instead of resorting to primitive means like drilling holes in the jamb for additional wiring. The other problem I have is the connectors on the GEM module are missing wires for these power options. Just changing out the module isn't going to add the missing power lock circuit wires. Other posts mention changing out the GEM module to allow power or keyless entry, but nobody mentioned swapping or modifying the dash harness.

The female amp connector on the door harness appears to disassemble to populate unused pin positions if you wish, without too much trouble. Doesn't look like you need a special tool. However the mating connector in the jamb may be another matter.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
FocusedSlayer
has a screw loose

Fan#: 59042
What I Drive: 2007 CD Silver Sedan SE w/Sap

FF Reputation: 34 FocusedSlayer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I was wondering the same thing when I upgraded my door speakers and was wanting to run new speaker wire. But instead I just swapped out door speakers and tied into the wires behind the radio mostly because I didn't see any other way of getting through that connector your talking about.
Team Duratec #01,Sedan Revolution#4, Elder FocusedSlayer, Gump Crew 21

February 2012 Sedan of The Month
Old 03-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

any other info about the door jamb connectors found on all '00-07 Focus?? Surely somebody figured these things out.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

hard to believe nobody knows how to add pins to the door jamb connectors. Does everyone just bypass them by drilling holes in the jamb and using old school conduit hose?
Old 04-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

OK, it appears there are two options for upgrading your Focus S car's sparcely populated amp connectors to the doors to support power mirrors, power locks and/or power windows.

One option is to extract the white plastic clip in the center of the connector and add pins to it taken from a donor car. This looks very feasible and the connector looks quite modular for easy disassembly...but you basically have to have the connector in your hand to perform this level of surgery.

The more straightforward solution would be to replace the whole darn connector assembly. It pops in and out of the mounting hole with integral plastic restraint clips that look quite durable. I'm gonna try this option because it has little or no drawbacks. Folks with strippo S models should probably take this approach because the stock connectors only have 2 wires on them for hte door speaker. It's real easy to splice two speaker wires when you're going to wind up splicing a couple dozen more for power accessories..

At this juncture, I'm unclear how to access and install or remove these connectors from the A pillar. Further investigation should provide insight since some guy in the salvage yard figured it out lol. I can only pray that the dash is not in the way.

I can also report that these amp connectors are part of the main body harness, not the dash harness. While the connectors are sefinitely made by amp corporation and have a part# on them, bing and google searches offer no hits. Apparently the design is proprietary and not supported unless you're willing to buy a $1K body harness from ford lol. I got my two connectors from a salvage yard with foot long pigtails of wire attached for $30/pr.

Since I own an '07 car, I'd like to report some findings that likely apply to '05-'07 cars....

The GEM module on my S model car is not wired for power locks and this involves at least a half dozen wires on multiple connectors. This means that swapping to a GEM module from a loaded SE or SES that supports door power accessories is only part of the solution. GEM module connector pins for the locks are missing too. Basically ALL power lock system wiring is missing from the dash & GEM harness. As I dig deeper into this project, I am frankly regretting the plunge. I may wind up installing an aftermarket power lock solution to avoid the GEM issues and proceed with factory power window upgrade since the GEM module isn't involved. The power mirror upgrade doesn't look too difficult, but it involves quite a bit of wiring if you add the heater feature and expect them to be adjustable with the ignition off. The factory setup has battery drain protection via relay interlock and other nifty features that add complexity.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
FocusedSlayer
has a screw loose

Fan#: 59042
What I Drive: 2007 CD Silver Sedan SE w/Sap

FF Reputation: 34 FocusedSlayer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Have you thought about trying to drill a hole through the connector since you don't have all the power locks and stuff? My 07 has power everything and the connector your talking about is loaded with wires . I had the drilling idea when I was upgrading my door speakers and trying to use the same conduit but it was a no go.
Team Duratec #01,Sedan Revolution#4, Elder FocusedSlayer, Gump Crew 21

February 2012 Sedan of The Month
Old 04-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusedSlayer View Post
Have you thought about trying to drill a hole through the connector since you don't have all the power locks and stuff? My 07 has power everything and the connector your talking about is loaded with wires . I had the drilling idea when I was upgrading my door speakers and trying to use the same conduit but it was a no go.
Yea, I did think about drilling a hole thru the connector. Assuming you have the correct drill bit and don't have to buy one, it would be cheaper than buying fully loaded connectors from an optioned-out donor car. But drilling it is a one way street for sure. Basically you can turn the connector assembly into a gutted conduit and retain the twist on feature to keep it water tight. However that really doesn't address the biggest issue I have not yet conquered which is getting access to the male connector that's buried in the door jamb A-pillar. You can't drill out the connector without removing it, unless you remove the friggin car fender or pull the dash. What it comes down to is....if you can get the connector out of the door jamb and into your hand, you can either:

1) add pins or
2) replace it with a loaded assembly from a donor car or
3) gut it with a core drill bit or
4) remove the white center section of the connectors, remove all pins and try to squeeze wires thru that little restraint clip hole

I'm still preferring the less destructive and invasive OEM-ish method which is option 2.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

OK, update! Good news....

I just learned the AMP wiring connectors on the A-Pillars to the doors are easy enough to access and remove. On the drivers side, my strippo S car has only three pins installed and used in the black factory connector while a sister car with power options will have about 24 used. My right door connector has 2 pins used where the donor car had about 20. The pins in my Focus S are used to feed speakers.

note: Two door cars only use one black connector to each front door while 4 dr cars use two on the left front door. On the 4dr cars the extra connector is gray instead of black and it feeds rear power window switch wiring to the rear doors.

Connectors buried in the A-pillars install and remove with a simple twist. Again, they are part of the main body harness, not the dash harness.

The connectors are accessed by pulling two plastic lock pins out of the sound insulation that is under the floor carpeting and wraps up the
A-pillar. The frame of hte A pillar has a hole inside allowing easy access. I haven't tried dealing with the passenger side yet, but I can see you have to detach a couple computers to get at the insulation and connector.

Therefore the mystery of updating to full OEM-style control cabling to the Focus doors is solved. However that doesn't consider the GEM module and a number of other wiring issues limited to the interior of the car. However these can be tackled if you're determined enough.

In my opinion, upgrading to OEM power windows and mirrors is somewhat feasible because they don't get into the GEM module wiring. Still it's a lot of work and quite costly. However the OEM Power locks are tightly integrated with antitheft and GEM, so it's FAR easier to just adapt aftermarket remote control and locks. The loaded power accessory connectors I'm adding to the doors and A-pillars will have plenty of power lock wire positions available to support an aftermarket power lock and remote control system. I believe my new drivers door connector has about 24 wires and pins now where it had 3. The right passenger door connector now has about 20 wires where it had two. Back to wiring lol.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #9
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

I'm preparing to wire the body of my '07 ZX3 strippo (2dr) to feed the door wiring harnesses to add power accessories:

Here's what I determined so far:

1) The OEM factory power windows are going to take about 6 wires to feed positive power, ground and pass up/down (reversing) signals from the drivers door master window switch to the passenger door window motor circuit. As a side note, I think conversion of a 4dr car would be more trouble than it's worth.

2) The factory heated power mirrors are going to take about 5 wires. These wires basically feed positive power to the drivers door mirror switch and pass up/down and left/right signals to the passenger door. Ground to the mirror ckt is shared between all power accessories in the door harness (see 1 above).

3) the door lock circuitry is a total friggin cluster nightmare. It involves adding many circuits to the GEM module that are integrated with the antitheft system, but they are not wired in my Focus S and specialized plugs and pins are missing. The GEM module would need changed and lots of wiring for interlocks and sensing circuits. Therefore I'm avoiding these hassles and going the aftermarket route for power locks and remote control.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 69683
What I Drive: 2005 Black ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 947166 Good Standing Member
I'm looking at adding Power windows, locks and mirrors to my '05 Focus ZX4 and I have a 2001 donor car for parts. My plan was to take wiring harnesses and parts from the donor. From your experience do you think it's possible by just using all the harnesses from the donor? Do you think the wiring will interchange? Or are there major differences between the two years? From what your saying, the locks may be a problem but do you think the rest will swap out?

Thanks

Bookmarks & Social Networks