DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 94 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #931
Swerveson
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97261
What I Drive: 2012 Oxofrd White SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Swerveson Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just purchased a SE Hatch w/ DCT on March 22, 2012.

The car drove smooth during the test drive (37 miles at the time) and for the first hundred miles or so. Now, with 677 miles on the odometer, I have definitely noticed the above mentioned issues (shuddering in 1st gear, uneven acceleration etc.). I have a build date of October 2011, so I am hoping the 12-01-04 TSB will fix the issue. I am going to schedule an appointment with the service department today. Hopefully I have a positive experience. I will let you all know if I hear anything different/unique.

Thanks for all your input and comments, very informative. Besides the DCT issue I love the Focus. I traded in my 2006 Audi A4, and so far I am not missing it.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #932
Swerveson
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97261
What I Drive: 2012 Oxofrd White SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Swerveson Good Standing Member
Noemi, I sent you a PM as well.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #933
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89089
What I Drive: 2013 Mustang GHIG V6 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 forceflow2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chum567 View Post
I had to wait 3 months for parts to come in
Was your car sitting at the dealership the entire time?
Reacquired by Ford under Lemon Law 01/16/13.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #934
Tumdace
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88175
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium, Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 1 Tumdace Good Standing Member
Guess ill update my situation in this thread:

Had the TSB applied to my vehicle 2 days ago, stuttering/jerking is still there and possibly even worse than it was before.

Told my dealer I was gonna drive it for a couple weeks to see what happens otherwise back to the shop it goes.

I know it will never be butter smooth, but it should not jerk/shudder as much as it does.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #935
kelscar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88165
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 kelscar Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbaldwin View Post
I've been reading this long thread and am surprised that there are so many varied experiences with this 3rd generation Focus. Mine was built on Feb. 13, 2012, I took delivery on March 27, and I now have 800 miles on it. I absolutely love this car. The slight shudder from dead stop started almost right away (car had 37 miles on it when I bought it). It happens after the car has warmed up. I'm not going to let this ruin what is otherwise a great looking and great handling car. Maybe it will go away or subside after more miles.
Many varied experiences for sure. My car was built the same day as yours. 1500 miles now and it has been great. I suppose time will tell if it stays that way.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #936
me2000
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85106
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 me2000 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumdace View Post
Guess ill update my situation in this thread:

Had the TSB applied to my vehicle 2 days ago, stuttering/jerking is still there and possibly even worse than it was before.

Told my dealer I was gonna drive it for a couple weeks to see what happens otherwise back to the shop it goes.

I know it will never be butter smooth, but it should not jerk/shudder as much as it does.
Take it back in if it's still jerking/shuddering.... they may have to replace the clutch!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #937
Rememo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95534
What I Drive: Was 2012 Focus. Now 2013 Impreza.

FF Reputation: 3 Rememo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerveson View Post
The car drove smooth during the test drive (37 miles at the time) and for the first hundred miles or so. Now, with 677 miles on the odometer, I have definitely noticed the above mentioned issues (shuddering in 1st gear, uneven acceleration etc.). I have a build date of October 2011, so I am hoping the 12-01-04 TSB will fix the issue. I am going to schedule an appointment with the service department today. Hopefully I have a positive experience. I will let you all know if I hear anything different/unique.
Cheers.
The update fixed those issues for me. It's still not perfect, but much more manageable. Good luck!

I have to wonder... Some of you may have seen the "adaptive procedure" that is supposed to be performed after the DCT software update has been done.

It involves driving the car up to a certain RPM, coming to a stop, and repeating that process a few times. Then you accelerate to 60 mph, while keeping the RPMs below a certain point, and then braking. That step also has to be repeated many times.

I can imagine that it's a very annoying procedure for a tech. to perform. I'm not sure what impact an improperly performed "adaptive procedure" would have on the final product, but it could explain the varied success we are experiencing. Maybe some techs are skipping that step, or simply driving the car without performing the steps.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #938
BigFuzzyArchon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87167
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 BigFuzzyArchon Good Standing Member
i assume my tech did it to mine since they said they had to bring it out to the highway to go 60 or 70 or whatever
Old 04-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #939
DBrim
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97130
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 DBrim Good Standing Member
I go back and forth a lot in my head on the actual severity of the issue. Seeing people say that their shifting got worse after the tsb doesn't help. I don't have intense whiplash between first and second but it's enough to make stop and go traffic something hat I dread. Also today I had to roll up a parking garage in first and the car felt like it was going to stall the entire time.

I need the steering tsb, so next Monday or so I may call my dealer to see what they can do for me. By then I will have 800 miles or so, so hopefully they won't give me the break-in runaround.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #940
euro_zx5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 29329
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue 5dr Ti

FF Reputation: 1 euro_zx5 Good Standing Member
Picked up my new 2012 two days ago, didn't have much shudder the first day... second day I had the occasional hard shudder... and today it's almost completely nonexistant. It's so subtle the shudder, it feels like a manual now... and very smooth. 350km's or so, and it feels incredibly smoother than yesterday! I didn't put the car into 'sport' mode until today, and I feel that having the car rev a little bit is necessary in order to break in the transmission and get it working smoothly. Also taking the car on some inclines to get the motor actually working and the gears actually pulling the car rather than level ground has helped the break in process along. I'll update if I feel there are any changes (good or bad). So far though, I am really impressed!

Bookmarks & Social Networks