How To: Adding an OEM Tachometer Cluster on a 2005-up - Page 11 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #101
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95211
Location: northeast, PA
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

Posts: 305
FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
i did this and the abs light does not work... even did the test to see if all the light work on the cluster and they do, but abs does not show when i first turn on the car... what could be wrong... the car did not have the abs where the cluster came from?
The speedo cluster (when new) was programmed for the options on the car. If you're installing a new cluster at the dealer, they have a programming tool to enter these options and the old mileage ONE TIME. Since it's illegal to swap used clusters between cars, the mfr and dealer shops do not have a reprogramming tool to alter, erase or overwrite programming on a used cluster. The federal government has mandated that.

If the used cluster from donor car does not have the same brake system options as your car, you will have to just deal with these issues. Basically you lose your brake trouble alarming if the brake system differs. I think folks doing these swaps should be careful to select a donor car with same abs and traction control configuration. I'm not sure if transmission type matters.
Lscman is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #102
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Fan#: 12379
Location: Georgia, United States
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

Posts: 591
FF Reputation: 4 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Some of this has been covered before, but I'm not sure all of LSCman's info is accurate.

First off - on the 2002 Focus at least, I think the models with the OEM tach had ABS and traction control (basically the SVT Focus), but I'm not positive of that. You could pull the bulbs from the cluster, but I don't think there was a way to re-program the cluster to have the tach without the lights. Newer models might have allowed this.

Also - I have never before heard that it was illegal to swap used clusters between cars. It has always been illegal to roll back an odometer to show the car had 60K miles when it had 100K miles. I think it is legal to put a 60K odometer in the car and sell the car as long as you sign paperwork saying the car had 100K actual miles on it and the odometer reading was 40K low. Some buyers might not like this.

You might have a similar problem with the dealer. I think most dealers CAN reprogram a used cluster - in fact I think earlier in the thread people paid $150 to $200 to have this done. For obvious reasons, you might have an easier time getting the dealer to reprogram the cluster from 60K to 100K miles to match then car rather than from 180K to 100K to match the car. The dealer is taking your word for it - but really, the law is against modifying an odometer to fraudulently sell a car. (i.e. if I install a new cluster in a 100K mile car without reprogramming it and I want to pretend my car is brand new, that is fine as long as I say it has 100K more than indicated when I try to sell it).
Tiger-Heli is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #103
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95211
Location: northeast, PA
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

Posts: 305
FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-Heli View Post
Some of this has been covered before, but I'm not sure all of LSCman's info is accurate.

First off - on the 2002 Focus at least, I think the models with the OEM tach had ABS and traction control (basically the SVT Focus), but I'm not positive of that. You could pull the bulbs from the cluster, but I don't think there was a way to re-program the cluster to have the tach without the lights. Newer models might have allowed this.

Also - I have never before heard that it was illegal to swap used clusters between cars. It has always been illegal to roll back an odometer to show the car had 60K miles when it had 100K miles. I think it is legal to put a 60K odometer in the car and sell the car as long as you sign paperwork saying the car had 100K actual miles on it and the odometer reading was 40K low. Some buyers might not like this.

You might have a similar problem with the dealer. I think most dealers CAN reprogram a used cluster - in fact I think earlier in the thread people paid $150 to $200 to have this done. For obvious reasons, you might have an easier time getting the dealer to reprogram the cluster from 60K to 100K miles to match then car rather than from 180K to 100K to match the car. The dealer is taking your word for it - but really, the law is against modifying an odometer to fraudulently sell a car. (i.e. if I install a new cluster in a 100K mile car without reprogramming it and I want to pretend my car is brand new, that is fine as long as I say it has 100K more than indicated when I try to sell it).
Plenty of early Focus with tach came with no ABS, but I agree that pulling that light will likely provide an effective workaround. However if you happen to get a cluster from a car with traction control and try to install it in a car without traction control, I believe that pulling the offensive annunciation light will disable alarms for classic brake troubles such as low fluid or system leaks. I'm sure mature 50 year old people who were accustomed to old technology would be safe, but younger folks who rely solely upon idiot lights for maintenance may experience loss of brakes. This is similar to BMW owners who destroy $30K motors when the low oil detection circuitry fails. Many never check the dipstick anymore. Some cars no longer even have engine dipsticks, so the mfrs are encouraging these practices! How about the lifetime air cleaner!

I should clarify....it is illegal to alter the odometer reading (via hardware swap or any other method) unless you report it thru DMV or notary (depending upon which state you live). Of course it is legal to change the mileage by swapping hardware so long as you report the reading as inaccurate, but this is not typically what's being done and it basically would totally destroy your car's resale value. I doubt if it's reported even 1% of the time because you'd have to be a total idiot. Folks here are among the "other 99%"; ie, those who get all excited when their odometer value dropped. I'm confident that this is not because they're anxious to report it lol. Odometer manipulation tools are totally illegal to use and also totally illegal to own in all 50 states. This goes for dealer shops too. They are allowed to have tools to clone a new cluster to show same mileage (copy). If you go to certain nearby countries, you can legally sell, own and/or use hack manipulation tools which is a sad testimony for their legal system. Some border cities have manipulation shops on every street kind of like dive bars or McDonalds. Not surprisingly, many of the cars frequenting those shops sport USA license plates. I would use great caution buying a car from certain parts of Canada. Most European premium cars are not nearly as easy to manipulate as Ford, but hackers still find a way.
Lscman is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #104
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Fan#: 12379
Location: Georgia, United States
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

Posts: 591
FF Reputation: 4 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Not sure my car has a low brake fluid warning light, but I'm near the 50-year-old mark - maturity is debatable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lscman View Post
Odometer manipulation tools are totally illegal to use and also totally illegal to own in all 50 states. This goes for dealer shops too. They are allowed to have tools to clone a new cluster to show same mileage (copy).
I'm not sure what's involved in the new cars with digital odometers, but I replaced the speedo in my old 1979 Mustang and matched the odometer by using a screwdriver to move the wheels to what the existing mileage was. By your logic, owning a screwdriver was illegal. I say the law may say that, but it is not fully enforceable. (And I suspect the same tools for setting a new cluster are the same tools for re-programming a used cluster - but I could be wrong there.)

Personally, I just bought an Ultra-Gauge and was done with it ...
Tiger-Heli is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #105
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95211
Location: northeast, PA
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

Posts: 305
FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-Heli View Post
Not sure my car has a low brake fluid warning light, but I'm near the 50-year-old mark - maturity is debatable.



I'm not sure what's involved in the new cars with digital odometers, but I replaced the speedo in my old 1979 Mustang and matched the odometer by using a screwdriver to move the wheels to what the existing mileage was. By your logic, owning a screwdriver was illegal. I say the law may say that, but it is not fully enforceable. (And I suspect the same tools for setting a new cluster are the same tools for re-programming a used cluster - but I could be wrong there.)

Personally, I just bought an Ultra-Gauge and was done with it ...
A specialty tool specifically designed for odometer tampering is what's illegal. Nearly every mfr has an electronic shop tool designed to set a new cluster to match the odometer reading of an old cluster but they can't reset or lower mileage on a used speedo. These tools are legal and used to facilitate in legitimate repair. The mfrs generally use memory chips that are hard to roll back, but the aftermarket invariably finds hacks thru the use of newer teechologies within a couple years. The 2" mini C-clamp or screwdriver used to drive a pin out of a legacy mechanical speedo is not considered a specialty tamper tool and it's quite tough to say whether it's being done for repair or tamper. Nobody is claiming that these federal laws are easy to enforce. There are hundreds of illegal tools sold on fleabay and the federal government has better things to do.
Lscman is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #106
jprix82
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97279
Location: MI, MD
What I Drive: SU SE

Posts: 26
FF Reputation: 1 jprix82 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have a 01 SE with ABS. Does that mean as long as I find a cluster that came out of a car with out trac control I would get no lights?

What if the cluster came out of a car that did not have abs,what would happen?
jprix82 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #107
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Fan#: 12379
Location: Georgia, United States
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

Posts: 591
FF Reputation: 4 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Short answer is you are either going to have lights on or be missing lights.

If your car did not have ABS and you put an ABS cluster in, the ABS warning light will always be on (unless you remove the bulb or spray paint over the light or similar).

If your car has ABS and you put in a non-ABS cluster, you will never see the warning light if the ABS system malfunctions.
Tiger-Heli is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #108
jprix82
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97279
Location: MI, MD
What I Drive: SU SE

Posts: 26
FF Reputation: 1 jprix82 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-Heli View Post
Short answer is you are either going to have lights on or be missing lights.

If your car did not have ABS and you put an ABS cluster in, the ABS warning light will always be on (unless you remove the bulb or spray paint over the light or similar).

If your car has ABS and you put in a non-ABS cluster, you will never see the warning light if the ABS system malfunctions.
Ok cool. Is there any way to tell what options a cluster is programmed with by it's part/model number ? Or are those numbers pretty useless when swapping for a tach?
jprix82 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #109
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Fan#: 12379
Location: Georgia, United States
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

Posts: 591
FF Reputation: 4 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
There probably is something in the part number, but I don't know what they would be.
Tiger-Heli is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #110
joserlon
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Fan#: 75569
Location: Santa Ana, CA
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX4

Posts: 14
FF Reputation: 1 joserlon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Does anyone of you guys know the size of the bulbs for the cluster...i did the swap already and im thinking of changing the green color of the numbers in the gauges...i've searched online on how to do it myself, but i dont know the size of the bulbs...
Any suggestions?
joserlon is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.