Steeda CAI Now Available - Page 19 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #181
TonyAKAMrClean
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96571
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 TonyAKAMrClean Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusBoy58 View Post
Red and I have been in the scene since focusfanatics had focusfanatics magazine. I actually still have them.

A properly tuned turbo focus can get 30+ mpg so its all in the tuning on high hp engines.

As far as any stock vehicles. The ONLY mod I know to increase gas mileage is Larger spark plug gapping and opening up the exhaust side.. Any intake mods will result in less gas mileage at higher RPM. Everyone might say that isnt true but its a fact.. If your MAF reads more air it sends more fuel.. Basic Science really.

The CAT is the biggest MPG killer ever put on a car. Corvette went from 22 mpg at 75 to 28-29mpg at 75 from just cutting the cats not even doing headers. The 2012 can get upwards of 37+ at 75mph with a fully opened exhaust and coupled with gas saving driving techniques you can get 40+
Well, I'm already getting up to 44mpg at 75 mph (letting speeds drop to 60 on hills) believe it or not... after driving around the city last night and today, I'm sitting in my car with 34mpg on the dash right now. It would be nice to not have to 'baby' it quite as much and still get that sort of fuel economy.

An exhaust is in my future, probably the stealth exhaust from fswerks. As for cats, they're a requirement, i'd like to keep them but I've heard there are high-flow cats...?

Also, I'm interested to know how the spark plug gap helps and what exactly that does for things.

Last edited by TonyAKAMrClean; 04-01-2012 at 01:02 PM. Reason: edit: 34 not 37
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #182
FordBass
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89775
What I Drive: 2012 Black SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 FordBass Good Standing Member
By the look of the dyno chart, there would be a nice low end power increase.
So if this(or any other intake) + Exhaust + tune would give like 20 more ft/lbs in the lower rpms that would be great :)
Old 04-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #183
greg hazlett
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93486
What I Drive: 2012 Black Ford Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 greg hazlett Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDFOCZ View Post
Greg, the car is an auto not sure what gear the dyno was done in though. Also I'm surprised you say that the dyno may be skewed because the numbers gained are very similar to what yours was at top speed.

Note: I'm not talking peak numbers just avg gains from the intake
If you remember back when the dyno debate started we were wondering and wanted to see what a manual car would do to see how much of a difference there was between the manual/automatic.

I know you are close/friends/in with Steeda but they are known for pulling tricks to make their products gains be more than what is true; I cannot see how they gained 20 ft/tq with just a filter and MAF housing without changing something else-like dynoing the car stock with 87 and then with their RAI with 93....and yes, they have done that before with mustangs, not slinging mud, stating facts.

I am not promoting Injen by any means, I think if you asked anyone who has been around the modern day cars if adding a filter and MAF housing would gain you 20 ft/tq on a 4 cyl 2.0L engine they would call B/S in a heartbeat....I don't want to see anyone spend their hard earned money on a part, install it and then not get what they expected out of it.

Think about this; the 2012 Focus puts down 160 hp/142 tq at the crank; if you blindly accept their dyno sheet of 20 tq gained do the math...that is an increase of 15%....with nothing more than a filter/MAF housing...not buying that one bit...I did not see that much of an increase with an Airaid CAI on a 5.7L V8 Tundra nor on a 4.6L V8 Mustang.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #184
greg hazlett
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAKAMrClean View Post
Well, I'm already getting up to 44mpg at 75 mph (letting speeds drop to 60 on hills) believe it or not... after driving around the city last night and today, I'm sitting in my car with 34mpg on the dash right now. It would be nice to not have to 'baby' it quite as much and still get that sort of fuel economy.

An exhaust is in my future, probably the stealth exhaust from fswerks. As for cats, they're a requirement, i'd like to keep them but I've heard there are high-flow cats...?

Also, I'm interested to know how the spark plug gap helps and what exactly that does for things.
+1 on opening the spark plug gap...if it were that easy don't you think the manufacturer would have done that from the factory????? Not buying that either.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #185
Mucrammada
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91537
What I Drive: 2013 Limited WRX Hatch, 2011 CTS

FF Reputation: 1 Mucrammada Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I see what you're saying there, but, not all cars get their air the way this Focus does. And the way the Focus was build it was very constricted with it's air flow. A lot of people are seeing big changes when they start letting the car breathe. I just installed a 2.5 catback and it has made a world of difference so far.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #186
greg hazlett
Focus Enthusiast

What catback did you install and how are you basing the world of difference? SOTP, dyno, MPG or all 3?

And remember what I said either in this thread or another one, the manufacturers don't only have to worry about chemical emissions, they get tested on noise/decible emissions which the aftermarket companies do not have to worry about.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #187
FocusBoy58
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03

Fan#: 38424
What I Drive: 01 Turbo,12 SE,95 Vette 396

FF Reputation: 14 FocusBoy58 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg hazlett View Post
+1 on opening the spark plug gap...if it were that easy don't you think the manufacturer would have done that from the factory????? Not buying that either.
LMAO... then why are you argueing... the Spark gap is the oldest trick in the book dude...

You argue for the sake of argueing everytime and sometimes your arguement helps the person your trying to argue with like my bolt on post.

FACT: Why would ford produce and release a spark plug at .060" when at .067" the plug can no longer jump the gap... Think before you post. .044" means you will get 100K out of the plug before you need to change them at .060" you will get about 20k-25k miles before you need to re gap them..

Again if you have no substantial performance car backround jump out of the conversation.

Vortex intake on a z06 vette made 30+ whp and 40+ wtq. the 4.6l mustang is a piece of shit so why even bring them up... oh wow I make 215whp from the factory on a good day jesus most 4 bangers half the size make that now...

when you have a bigger spark you have more complete fuel burn its basic science and physics its not that hard to understand.. Thats like telling MSD that their ignitions dont help top fuel dragsters run the 1/4 mile.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #188
greg hazlett
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Nevermind...I see who said this and he is on my ignore list due to his dilsusional knowledge.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #189
FocusBoy58
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03

Fan#: 38424
What I Drive: 01 Turbo,12 SE,95 Vette 396

FF Reputation: 14 FocusBoy58 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (16)
Quote:
Nevermind...I see who said this and he is on my ignore list due to his dilsusional knowledge.
lmao
Old 04-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #190
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusBoy58 View Post
FACT: Why would ford produce and release a spark plug at .060" when at .067" the plug can no longer jump the gap... Think before you post. .044" means you will get 100K out of the plug before you need to change them at .060" you will get about 20k-25k miles before you need to re gap them..
Do these numbers work for the 2012? I might have to give this a try. I can re-gap the plugs every couple of years. Used to have to do that or replace them every few years, back in the day.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->