A simple fix for the microphone wind noise issue - Page 12 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #111
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I had my MFT Upgrade done yesterday and the Call I placed to my VM seems to be much better but when on the highway at 70. Forget it!. Sounds like a jet engine in the back seat!. This is something I don't believe is a defect in anything to do with the car, just the nature of the mic picking up road noise and the fact that the focus is no where near sound insulated like a big luxury car. Sucks because every other feature on this car is a real pleasure to have and I have yet to ever own a car with handsfree that sounded like you were on a regular phone. My mom's BT in her Nissan Pathfinder sounds great, same with another friends BMW. I guess this for me will be a feature that I paid for that I cannot really use.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #112
robbiew
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96199
What I Drive: 2012 Metallic White Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 robbiew Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Hey Robbie, Just curious if you ever found time to play around with calling your VM and playing back to see if you could detect a level of background noise or the improvements that the MFT Upgrade provided.

Everyday I hope when I get home that my update will be in the mail but so far it hasn't shown up.
I finally got around to recording a few messages at various speeds, here are my results:

35-40mph: Recorded a 30 second message with me speaking and taking brief pauses. The turn signal "clicks" were very noticeable, but I could hear no road or engine noise, regardless if I was speaking or silent.

55mph: Recorded a 30 second message with the same pattern of speaking/pausing. While I am speaking, there is no background noise. During pauses, I definitely heard wind/road noise.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to perform this same test before upgrading MFT, so I really don't know if there was any improvement. Subjectively, it is much easier to hold a conversation while driving at highway speeds after the update.

I Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray5476 View Post
I have had my focus titanium with sunroof in shop several times for this problem they replaced mic and sync module. No fix...Now they have a harness to the mic on order from ford. Hopefully this is the fix. They seem to think so..
[

I'm interested if changing the microphone/wiring will have any effect on the background noise...
Old 03-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #113
cacophonous
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89165
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti & 2005 Saab 92X Aero

Points 1,620, Level 23
Points: 1,620, Level: 23 Points: 1,620, Level: 23 Points: 1,620, Level: 23
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 cacophonous Good Standing Member
So far getting positive feedback on my second gen proto:

Old 03-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #114
smizak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92058
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

FF Reputation: 2 smizak Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophonous View Post
So far getting positive feedback on my second gen proto:

lol, awesome. I wanna find a big red clown nose and put it on mine
Old 03-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #115
Dysan911
Focus Addict

cacophonous,

Cool how is that held up there? If it's tape is it sticking directly over the mic grill or is that unobstructed and allowing sound to pass through the material directly into the mic?

I was looking around for something like that and can't find anything. Bummer!.

@Robbie - Was there anything done to yours other than the MFT Upgrade and do you have a sunroof as well?
Old 03-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #116
robbiew
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96199
What I Drive: 2012 Metallic White Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 robbiew Good Standing Member
I have a sunroof and the dealer updated to MFT v3 a few weeks ago.
There is no more sound insulation on the other side of the mic
(see post #89 http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...5&postcount=89)
Old 03-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #117
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiew View Post
I have a sunroof and the dealer updated to MFT v3 a few weeks ago.
There is no more sound insulation on the other side of the mic
(see post #89 http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...5&postcount=89)
Oh okay so you don't even have any sound insulation on the other side of the mic. I was reading that there are several other owners of Ford vehicles like the Edge, Explorer, Mustang, etc that are griping of the exact same issue we have. One guy actually dropped the mic down from his overhead and let it dangle just to test if it made any difference being away from the roof. It was interesting to read that he reported it made no improvement whatsoever that the mic was picking up cabin noise despite if the mic was mounted anywhere else in the car.

So much for the idea of relocating the mic and also there may really be no improvement with insulation or sound deading material over the mic.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #118
cacophonous
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89165
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti & 2005 Saab 92X Aero

Points 1,620, Level 23
Points: 1,620, Level: 23 Points: 1,620, Level: 23 Points: 1,620, Level: 23
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 cacophonous Good Standing Member
Quote:
cacophonous,

Cool how is that held up there? If it's tape is it sticking directly over the mic grill or is that unobstructed and allowing sound to pass through the material directly into the mic?

I was looking around for something like that and can't find anything. Bummer!.

@Robbie - Was there anything done to yours other than the MFT Upgrade and do you have a sunroof as well?
No moonroof. I used thin double sided tape to hold it on. It is unobstructed.

Remember it is a crude proto to test with. :)

I took a small extra foam cover from a ear bud head phone set. I cut a thin piece of plastic out of a flexible cd jewel case with scissors to insert inside to make the foam slightly oval shaped to cover the entire mic.

I cut the double sided tape with scissors:

If this works well I will try to make it look better.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #119
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Quote:
I had my MFT Upgrade done yesterday and the Call I placed to my VM seems to be much better but when on the highway at 70. Forget it!. Sounds like a jet engine in the back seat!. This is something I don't believe is a defect in anything to do with the car, just the nature of the mic picking up road noise and the fact that the focus is no where near sound insulated like a big luxury car. Sucks because every other feature on this car is a real pleasure to have and I have yet to ever own a car with handsfree that sounded like you were on a regular phone. My mom's BT in her Nissan Pathfinder sounds great, same with another friends BMW. I guess this for me will be a feature that I paid for that I cannot really use.
THe sound from my parent's 07 fusion is better, and the 07 fusion is LOUDER inside than the new focus. The '12 is actually quite well insulated, every where BUT right over the mic. Its not the car, its the lack of insulation around the mic. after trying thr hand-over-the-mic thing on voicemail, its apparent that its a combo of wind noise and some road noise. Bumpy, irregular, or grooved pavement at highway speeds adds to the problem. Our cars are just as quite as the new fusion ('10 and up), and they get no issues. If adding inulation over the mic doesnt help, maybe its the mic itself, as others are having it replaced.

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
Old 03-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #120
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
cacophonous, could that foam be sandwiched inside the assembly? Also, if its roadnoise, not wind noise, how does a little foam over the mic port help? If it does, COOL, but it seems like the foam is a wind canceling solution, not background noise canceling....

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.