Yanner's 2012 stereo install - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #11
Yanner
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93640
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue 5MT hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Yanner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by voipguy View Post

So im not confused the wires you tapped into go to the LOC correct? for Front Right and Left and Rear Right and Left? Did you use the existing speaker wire??

I wonder what the steps are to remove the plastic side panels to run the speaker wire on the right side and the power wire on the left side?

Thanks
I went from the factory speaker wires under the shifter to the LCQ-1 (it's quite a bit more than a simple LOC) with 4 new 16 awg speaker wires, then from the LCQ-1 to the Alpine amp with RCA's, then back to the factory wiring beneath the shifter with another 4 new speaker wires. From there, the amplified signal uses the factory wiring to the doors.

The power wire was easy to run under the trim, but that was for 4 awg. I took the direct approach through the tunnel because I felt that going the long way round would have been a very long run, and that a bundle of 8 16awg might have been tough to get in the trim. Another member who posted put their sound processor in the glovebox, which I think is a great idea, but in our case, we find that the car has so little storage to begin with.

That being said, getting the wires from the rear of the centre console through the tunnel was no easy feat. The rear seat bottom cushions had to be removed if just to get some extra working room. I wound up having to use the spring from an old wiper blade (basically a flat piece of flexible metal) so that it would bent up and down but not side to side. I also had to make a small cut in the factory carpet, under the rear seat near the mounting bolt to get me some extra working room to pry the carpet up with a very long screw driver when trying to drive the first wire through with the wiper blade spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #12
5.0 Junkie
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 36721
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sport HB

FF Reputation: 1 5.0 Junkie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
How well he LCQ-1 "clean up" the signal? Are you able to level the EQ for mids and highs too? How long did it take to get set up? I'm also looking at the Cleansweep and MS-8.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #13
Yanner
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Junkie View Post
How well he LCQ-1 "clean up" the signal? Are you able to level the EQ for mids and highs too? How long did it take to get set up? I'm also looking at the Cleansweep and MS-8.
How long did it take to setup everything or just the LCQ-1?

I did have the a couple of the Polk speakers in the doors before getting anything else hooked up and I can confirm what others have reported: upgraded speakers on the stock head unit and amp brings no improvement (non-Sony 6 speaker stereo). The LCQ-1 does a great job and I find the sound to be phenomenal. Getting the line level to the correct volume makes all the difference. Otherwise, I have the EQ on the LCQ-1 set flat, but I might raise the mids a little bit. My living room stereo is a Denon receiver powering older Cerwin-Vega towers, but now my car sounds better.

I stayed away from the Cleansweep because many reviews pointed to needing to use the provided volume knob. The MS-8 is triple the price of the LCQ-1 so it was never considered. The whole setup cost me less than 900 including wiring, fuse holders, MDF etc.

You can see the EQ of the LCQ-1 in this pic:

Old 03-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #14
5.0 Junkie
Focus Rookie

Is that where yours was set?
Old 03-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #15
Yanner
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Junkie View Post
Is that where yours was set?
No, as I mentioned in my previous post, I have the EQ set flat. The output levels are somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4. There's a video on audio control's site outlining how to set those. I don't recall off the top of my head how exactly I have the accubass settings set. The manual (also available online) does a good job explaining what everything does, it's not as complicated as it may look. And, much of it will depend on your speakers, your sub and of course, your amp.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #16
5.0 Junkie
Focus Rookie

Thanks. I'll either put Orions in or Bostons. I have the Orions already and may put in a 40wx4 amp. I don't need loud, just clean. May add a little powered sub too. I have a stroke when certain frequencies don't play due to the goofy internal EQ in the head unit.

Can you set the EQ by ear or should you use a db meter and some test tracks? I just want a flat signal coming out so that all frequencies play as they should.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:08 AM   #17
voipguy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85222
What I Drive: 2012 S.Grey SE Spt,4dr,Wint,MR,6sp

FF Reputation: 1 voipguy Good Standing Member
The AudioControl LCQ-1 in dark grey or white is on sale at Crutchfield for 239.00 I was able to find a 20.00 off coupon online, so I ordered one today for 219.00 delivered.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:07 AM   #18
Bwill9886
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93444
What I Drive: 2013 Rallye Red Civic Si

FF Reputation: 2 Bwill9886 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanner View Post
I did have the a couple of the Polk speakers in the doors before getting anything else hooked up and I can confirm what others have reported: upgraded speakers on the stock head unit and amp brings no improvement (non-Sony 6 speaker stereo).
I've been waiting to see if others can confirm this so thanks for letting us know. Looks like I'll save the stereo work for another time.

How do you like the Polks? I have had quite a few Polk products and I think their bang for the buck is great, but I'd be interested to hear a second opinion from someone who probably is a bit more knowledgeable.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #19
Yanner
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwill9886 View Post
I've been waiting to see if others can confirm this so thanks for letting us know. Looks like I'll save the stereo work for another time.

How do you like the Polks? I have had quite a few Polk products and I think their bang for the buck is great, but I'd be interested to hear a second opinion from someone who probably is a bit more knowledgeable.
I find that they sound great, and I still haven't done much tweaking w/ the LCQ-1. Almost anything is a step up from the stockers, but I'm finding the Polks to have excellent range and volume with the power I am feeding them (50rms) crossed over at 80 hz.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #20
Yanner
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by voipguy View Post
The AudioControl LCQ-1 in dark grey or white is on sale at Crutchfield for 239.00 I was able to find a 20.00 off coupon online, so I ordered one today for 219.00 delivered.
Great deal. I got mine for 216 after much frooling, but it was only the white one available at that price.

Bookmarks & Social Networks