Regular Unleaded Gas (stock) vs Premium Unleaded Gas (tuned) - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #41
DoomsdayFAN
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92019
What I Drive: ~2006 ZX4 SE Sedan 2.0L~

FF Reputation: 1 DoomsdayFAN Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayFAN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
Simple answer, no.

If you look into how the Octane system works you'll find that most boosters claim to raise by "points". What they don't tell you on the bottles is that 1 Octane is equivalent to 10 points. SO a bottle that claims to raise Octane by 8 points would raise 89 to 89.8, not 97 Octane.

It's my opinion that if you truly need something to raise the fuels Octane rating above that of pump fuel, you should be able to afford the costs of quality race fuel, else the mods you've done are all in vein. Also there can be relatively simple tricks to ward off spark knock W/O the use of high buck fuels. Simple things like indexing your spark plugs might help, running shorter gaps or lower heat range plugs.
I have indexed my plugs for a while now and it might just be placebo but it kinda seems that it helps some. I point the open end towards the center point of the exhaust valves.
I just wanted to say that I was in the store today and checked out the bottle of NOS Octain Booster (as pictured above) and the bottle said it boosted octain levels by a whopping 30 Points!

So... would that make a difference? From 91 to 94 grade. The only downside is that those bottles run close to $7 a pop.
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #42
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

Points 7,980, Level 60
Points: 7,980, Level: 60 Points: 7,980, Level: 60 Points: 7,980, Level: 60
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Question is at what point does the points lessen there effect? If I add this to 93 octane, would it really be 96..? Or more like 95? If it does not then $7 + a tank of 93, for a tank of 96 is not that bad of a deal....
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #43
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,014, Level 100
Points: 51,014, Level: 100 Points: 51,014, Level: 100 Points: 51,014, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 38%
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
And it doesnt last long in the mixture from what I understand. My opinion octane boosters shouldnt be used

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 03-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #44
Pepsibottle1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95750
What I Drive: 2004 Honda Element EX AWD

FF Reputation: 1 Pepsibottle1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Running 89/93 on an engine that does not require it is throwing money in the trash. The reason why some cars need to run the higher octane is because of their compression ratio. The lower the octane, the easier the fuel is to combust. With an engine running a high compression ration, that equals knock which is bad news. You want a fuel that will not combust as easily since it is being compressed further than usual. There is no power gain behind it, just the fact that certain engines need it to avoid predetonation. If your car does not require 89 or 93, it will not make a difference performance-wise. Think of higher octane as greater knock resistance. All 89/93 fuel would do on an engine that requires 87 would do is give you slight better fuel mileage since the fuel does not burn as quickly. However, that is pointless because you would probably save more running standard octane compared to the pricier mid-grade or premium.

However, the ECU tune will definitly give you a noticable gain in power, albeit a smidgeon less fuel economy. Why the higher octane, you ask? When you start messing with the spark/ignition varibles and fuel/air ratio (I'm guessing this is what the tune consists of) among other factors, you're going to need a fuel that will not detonate as easily. That's why with aggressive tuning, you need the higher octane. Even though the compression ratio isn't changed (only different pistons will do that for ya), you'll need premium fuel since the spark is advanced. Still, like I said before, unless you need the higher octane, running it in a regular engine is like throwing money in the trash. The ECU tune however will definitly help with get up-n go and I think it's worth paying more at the pump to have a happier Focus :D

Lastly, in regards to octane booster, same thing applies. Unless you really need it, don't use it. The only time I have ever purchased it was when my dad drove his Mustang down to Mexico for vacation. 89 octane was not available so we had to settle with 87 and a bottle of STP. Worked well, no knock. However, I wouldn't use it as a substitute for buying higher octane at the pump, as you'll be paying more for the booster than the fuel anyways. That stuff is mighty expensive

"I'm not going to take this defeatist attitude and listen to all this crap any more from all these people who have nothing except doomsday to predict. "
- Carroll Shelby
Old 03-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #45
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Points 51,014, Level 100
Points: 51,014, Level: 100 Points: 51,014, Level: 100 Points: 51,014, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 38%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
I dont agree , the ECU is very smart and if it sees no knock the ECU can add in timing all on its own , so if your focus runs 87 and you add 93 you can get a good bit of use out of the 93 fuel both in mpg and performance , it isnt like to old carb / set timing days

The ECU under part throttle and cruise can add fuel as well so both timing and fuel can be added/removed all on its own

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 03-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #46
budpln
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89951
What I Drive: 2008 red ses

Points 2,655, Level 31
Points: 2,655, Level: 31 Points: 2,655, Level: 31 Points: 2,655, Level: 31
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 budpln Good Standing Member
so what your saying tom is there is deff a benifit to using a higher octane fuel??? i put a half of a tank of plus in her yesterday and it could be a placebo affect but she seems smoother and honestly i think i might run plus from now on it deff seems to be running better with the better fuel iono i could b wrong...
Old 03-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #47
Outlaw5.0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84300
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Focus SES

Points 437, Level 8
Points: 437, Level: 8 Points: 437, Level: 8 Points: 437, Level: 8
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Outlaw5.0 Good Standing Member
Tom is correct. If the computer senses any knock, it will start to retard timing. Yes our cars will knock slightly on 87 octane, its not uncommon to see the computer retard timing by 2-4 degrees. The use of midgrade or premium fuel will make sure the timing stays at full advance. Now granted with premium fuel there is room to add a few degrees of timing at WOT. For a untuned Focus, 89 octane in most cases is good enough.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:29 AM   #48
Jakefrom
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96575
What I Drive: 2000 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Jakefrom Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
No cars can adjust for the octane you are running as there is nothing in the fuel tank that tells the ECU what octane your running so there is no way for a ECU to recalibrate , what they can do is see your o2 signal that may go leaner/rich and adjust with adptive learning and see the knock sensor and take out spark if you have knock

Tom
That's exactly what I mean and the reason I'm asking about whether or not the Focus will do the same thing.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:16 AM   #49
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

Points 750, Level 14
Points: 750, Level: 14 Points: 750, Level: 14 Points: 750, Level: 14
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
I dont agree , the ECU is very smart and if it sees no knock the ECU can add in timing all on its own , so if your focus runs 87 and you add 93 you can get a good bit of use out of the 93 fuel both in mpg and performance , it isnt like to old carb / set timing days

The ECU under part throttle and cruise can add fuel as well so both timing and fuel can be added/removed all on its own

Tom
Adding timing doesn't automatically mean more power or efficiency. You only need enough advance to start combustion early enough to generate max cylinder pressure at approximately 20 degrees after top dead center. Any more and you loose power.

Just because 93 will allow you add more timing without detonation does not mean the engine needs it. An engine as powerful and efficient from the factory as the new DGI Focus engine is so well optimized throwing timing at it just isn't needed.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #50
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Points 51,014, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 38%
You obviously dont understand how the Ford ECU works

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.